C4 Forums | Control4

Panasonic BL-C230A and Control4 - Driver?

Kahn

Newegg has this camera on sale Was: $299.99 ****NOW $149.99**** That's a savings of $150.00 !! (50% off for you math wizards!) Ends on 11/27 - Limit 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=81-180-044

***Has anyone integrated using the BL-C320A into a Control4 Project?

***The spec's seem to match the Control4 Standard for cameras, did I miss something?

***Is there a driver available?

panasonic_bl_c230a.jpg

bl-c230a-rear.jpgbl-c230a-right.jpg

Here's the press on this camera:

The BL-C230A is Panasonic's full motion wireless video network camera. It features wireless network connectivity and is suitable for a home or business setting. The integrated internet connection allows users to view camera output in real time full motion video from anywhere in the world using a personalized secure web address (provided for free). It is even possible to pan, tilt and zoom remotely. The camera employs H.264 video compression which provides higher video quality and uses half the amount of bandwidth compared to other formats. Built-in sensors detect body heat, sound and motion. The sensor settings are customizable so they can be used separately or all at the same time. They can also be set to be active at specific times of the day. When a sensor is triggered, an image is captured and can be sent via email or to a VIERA CAST enabled TV. There is built-in memory to store images and the included recording software connects up to 16 cameras.

Panasonic BL-C230A Specifications:

Image Data Compression System:H.264, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG for moving image display

Video Resolution: H.264: 640 x 480, 320 x 240 / MPEG-4: 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 192 x 144 / JPEG: 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 192 x 144

Frame Rate: Max. 30 frames/sec. (640 x 480, 320 x 240, 192 x 144)

Security: User ID/password; SSL

Supported Protocols: IPv4 / IPv6 Dual-Stack / IPv4: TCP, UDP, IP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, DHCP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, POP3, NTP, UPnP, Auto IP, SMTP Authentication, RTP, RTSP, RTCP

IPv6: TCP, UDP, IP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, DNS, ICMPv6, POP3, NDP, NTP, RTP, RTSP, RTCP

User Access Limit: H.264: 2 / MPEG-4: 4 / MotionJPEG: 10

Buffered Images: Approx. 1160 images (320 x 240), standard image quality, with time display.

Image Transfer Method: FTP, HTTP, SMTP* (*The camera supports POP Before SMTP Authentication and SMTP Authentication. PLAIN, LOGIN, and CRAM-MD5 SMTP Authentication are supported. SSL supports SMTP over SSL. STARTTLS is not supported)

Image Buffer/Transfer Triggers: Timer, Sensor, Alarm 1, Alarm 2, Motion Detection, Sound Detection

Zoom : 3x digital zoom (by area)

Viewing Angle : Horizontal: 58°, vertical: 45°

Pan Angle : -41° up to +41°

Tilt Angle: -32° up to +10°

Sensor Type:1/4-inch CMOS, Progressive Scan, approx. 320,000 pixels

Lens Focal Point: Fixed (focal range: 0.3 m to infinity)

Lens Brightness: F2.8

Required Light Intensity:5 to 100,000 lux (in Color Night View mode: 3 to 100,000 lux)

Wireless: Communication Standards IEEE 802.11b, 802.11b/g, 802.11g exclusive

Data Transfer Mode: IEEE 802.11b: Direct Sequence Spectrum Spread (DS-SS) / IEEE 802.11g: Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM)

Antenna: Single

Frequency Range: 2.412-2.462 GHz

Number of Channels: 13 ch.

Transmission Speed: up to 54 Mbps.

Security: SSID, WEP (64/128/152 bit), WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES)

Wired Network Interface: Ethernet (10Base-T/100Base-TX)

Temperature: Operation: 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

Storage: -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)

Humidity: Operation: 20% to 80%

Dimensions: (H x W x D): 2.9 x 2.9 x 4.0 inches (74 x 74 x 101 mm)

Weight: (Unit Only) :9.2 oz. (260g)

Power: Input 100 - 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, Output 9 V DC, 750 mA

Power Consumption: About 4.0 W (7.7 W during pan/tilt scan)

They look like they *should* work, but until they've been tried, there's no guarantee, as they could've changed their MJPEG support.

As far as which driver, you can use the 'standard' Panasonic Pan/Tilt driver.

The Panasonic drivers all should work as long as their protocol has not changed.

RyanE

Thanks RyanE. I noticed the manual is the same for the BL-210 and the BL-230 - the difference between the cameras is the wireless option. But, I have no idea if the 210 works either. I appreciate your answer tho!

Anyone else chime in? This isn't a new model camera. It's been around a while. Fairly inexpensive even at MSRP. But being 50% off - that's a no brainer buy. IF it works!!!

Since this one has digital zoom (3x)...Dealer should be able to try 'standard' Panasonic PTZ driver, right?

I thought Panasonic was a Control4 Partner? Wouldn't C4 know if the protocol was changed?

I think a definative list or *STICKY* on known working cameras for a C4 system would be great.

It was my understanding that only BB and WV series cams are fully supported. Besides, the LUX rating on that 230 hacks in night mode.

There are old drivers (2006) for the BL-C10A, BL-C1A, and the BL-C30A and some KX models too.

Guess I need to do some research on Panasonic's Model number differences (BB vs BL vs WV vs KX)....

Yes, 3 lux is pretty poor, and IR illuminators won't help. BUT, triggered dimmers brightness to 10% would be plenty on detection or trigger of motion.

Since this one has digital zoom (3x)...Dealer should be able to try 'standard' Panasonic PTZ driver, right?

Incorrect. Digital Zoom is performed on the *software* side, i.e. in the Browser, and Control4's IP Camera support does not support it. The Pan/Tilt camera driver is the correct one.

There are some 'model-specific' drivers, but they're no different than those that are generic (i.e. pan/tilt, etc.)

I thought Panasonic was a Control4 Partner? Wouldn't C4 know if the protocol was changed?

Panasonic has been a partner on the *phone integration* side, but not on the IP Camera side.

RyanE

Using the *search* on this forum - I found several users referring to having the BL-C210 (and they said it works fine). Again, the manual is the same for the C210 and the C230

BUT

I also downloaded the installation manual to read before buying and found this excerpt: (Steps 1-8 are typical setup for camera)

Step 9: The camera’s IP address is displayed.

This is the IP address you must enter in your web browser to access the camera. Do not forget this address. If the following ActiveX® Controls dialog is displayed, click [install ActiveX Control...]. This will install the viewer program (ActiveX Controls) needed to display camera images properly. When the Security Warning is displayed, click [install]. Viewer programs must be installed to view H.264 images, MPEG-4 images, MJPEG images, and to use audio features.

I cannot determine if :

-the ActiveX® Controls are required for the PC side viewing / recording?

-does this apply to the MJPEG stream?

-would make it inoperable with Control4?

btw - I know audio features are not in Control4 if this camera does work....

.......It's $150 bucks.

Agreed! Just bought 4 ....

Panasonic had this to say a CES, Las Vegas, NV (January 6, 2010) in a press release here:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=389522&modelNo=Content01062010042306267&surfModel=Content01062010042306267

“Panasonic is committed to providing communications products that help provide peace of mind for homeowners and small business owners,” said Bill Taylor, President of Panasonic Systems Network Company of America. “The BL-C210 and BL-C230 provide a convenient solution for people who want to keep an eye on what’s happening while they’re away.” As with other Panasonic network camera models, a state-of-the-art integration kit ensures compatibility with many solution applications, including automation products from Control4, Crestron, HomeLogic, Life Ware, Netstreams and others, as well as recording systems such as IPConfigure, Milestone, OnSSI and Quadrox.

panasonic_top_logo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm (installed and integrated) - the 230's work wonderfully. Pan / tilt / and even presets working fine with C4. Picture isn't as perfect as I'd like - but for $150, I think it was a steal!

• 5 months later...

Kahn, I'm reviving this old thread to ask how you are still enjoying these Panasonic cams. I am looking at the C210 for my kids play room. What size rooms do you have these mounted in? Can you show some screen shots?

Zoom isn't important to me, and neither is night viewing. The room has C4 lighting if I need to bring the lights up, plus it's a play room so only used during the day.

Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...
Kahn, I'm reviving this old thread to ask how you are still enjoying these Panasonic cams. I am looking at the C210 for my kids play room. What size rooms do you have these mounted in? Can you show some screen shots?

Zoom isn't important to me, and neither is night viewing. The room has C4 lighting if I need to bring the lights up, plus it's a play room so only used during the day.

Thanks in advance.

I was looking at getting the C210 as well for indoor use in the babies room, which will eventually be the play room. Does the Pan/Tilt work well on the MyHome app?

Kahn' date=' I'm reviving this old thread to ask how you are still enjoying these Panasonic cams. I am looking at the C210 for my kids play room. What size rooms do you have these mounted in? Can you show some screen shots?

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I was looking at getting the C210 as well for indoor use in the babies room, which will eventually be the play room. Does the Pan/Tilt work well on the MyHome app?

Works great.

Sorry I missed this thread resurection! YES the cams work great. They don't handle poor lighting very well though. I have them in various rooms and the picture quality is just fine as long as the lighting is nice and bright...of course the more natural lighting the better the pics. I'll get some screen shots up for you. FYI - the Pan/Tilt is a little laggy, but I'm well pleased with the purchase/install. I'm thinking of getting the SnapAV DVR for the next four cameras, but that's later down the road. I've got to get my sprinkler system and shop/man-cave done first!

Archived