C4 Forums | Control4

Any components best NOT to buy from control4? IE Amps, Thermostat...

hevnbnd

Why do most run a dune over say a Windows 7 Media Center PC?

Dune has a driver available' date=' and isn't going to change out from under you, the way Microsoft has changed Windows 7 Media Center.

Also, Media Center is more a 'drive with IR' sort of thing, and requires babysitting.

The Dune will just find your media, play it, and works with an IP driver, no fuss, no muss.

RyanE[/quote']

I thought the Media Center driver extravegetables provides is IP based.

New.

It depends on how you bargain with your local C4 dealers, I was able to bargains down to 30% off MSRP price..

Wow, I got a lousy percentage compared to that. Doesn't even cover tax. And I think I probably can troubleshoot more issues myself than 95% of users.

And I bought what seems to be a very large volume compared to most typical C4 installs, and my install has a potential to be a showcase install.

New.

It depends on how you bargain with your local C4 dealers' date=' I was able to bargains down to 30% off MSRP price..

...[/quote']

Wow, I got a lousy percentage compared to that. Doesn't even cover tax. And I think I probably can troubleshoot more issues myself than 95% of users.

And I bought what seems to be a very large volume compared to most typical C4 installs, and my install has a potential to be a showcase install.

even @ 30% off MSRP but when it comes "Best BANG for the BUCK", i still prefer buying used stuffs though... why? just bcuz my old dad keeps saying "a penny saved is a penny earned" :)

• 2 years later...

True, the API is limited right now. Hopefully, Nest will expose additional functionality in the nearest future. If not, I, personally, can live with those. All my A/C units have been prewired already, so making the thermostats invisible wasn't an option for me. But to be fair, this could be an option for the new construction homes. Thank you for pointing it out, @Cyknight.

True, the API is limited right now. Hopefully, Nest will expose additional functionality in the nearest future. If not, I, personally, can live with those. All my A/C units have been prewired already, so making the thermostats invisible wasn't an option for me. But to be fair, this could be an option for the new construction homes. Thank you for pointing it out, @Cyknight.

Not sure why that would necessarily be an issue, its just a matter of mounting the thermostat in a different room and running a remote sensor to where the thermostat would be.  The remote sensor is paintable and practically invisible.

Not sure why that would necessarily be an issue, its just a matter of mounting the thermostat in a different room and running a remote sensor to where the thermostat would be.  The remote sensor is paintable and practically invisible.

Exactly, we do a LOT of retro's this way - indeed if the wiring wasn't done right (not enough) it's sometimes a requirement to do exactly that.

If they've run thermostat wires to where you'd put the sensor, you just use the existing thermostat wires for the remote sensor, no new wiring needed.

As Cyknight mentions, if there's an install without the appropriate wires (like no common wire, etc.), a common solution is to use the existing thermostat wires for the remote sensor, and wiring the thermostat at the furnace / AC unit.  You can bury them in the wall even, which makes for a nice, clean look.

RyanE

Why is everyone so in love with NEST! I don't want to rely on an Internet connection for my heat control! And if you want to do that? Then why not ecobee, which is far superior in capabilities... Personally I'll stick with control4 and rock solid zigbee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was building a new system I wouldn't buy a C4 amp.

I have multiple emotiva amps that I had sitting around and used those in the system.

We hooked up the emotiva 7 channel amp and compared it to my costly c4 amp and it punished the C4 amplifier.

$359 for 7 channels. I would line em up and use them for all my in ceiling speakers

disadvantage... no tone control or equalizer... for ceiling speakers I don't care. 

Don't buy C4 media player ... Get Dune

Don't by C4 stats... mine never worked with my heat pumps... sent them back... they work for some people.

This is a costly hobby. Matrix just failed at 5 years.

Door lock failed after 2 years.

also had a bad audio matrix early on.

Upgrades are expensive.

My 10 inch touch screen will be obsolete if I upgrade os.

I have had lots of bad equipment... just luck of the draw.

Love the lights... they workd 95% of the time I push a button. 

Not so sure about the rest of this overpriced crap and I love this stuff.

I personally would consider stand alone locations for televisions vs home runs for everything. 

The cost of the video matrix and distribution equipment just because of content protection makes me insane.

But that is another topic.

Peace,

hawk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived