C4 Forums | Control4

PS3 Media Server

smarch

Any one using this software?

I have just tried this software and so far it seems to be working great, and free! I have a lot of moives backed up as .iso files stored on my computer. After I installed and run this software, the PS3 finds the "media server" and will play any format I can throw at it.

If any one else is using this, I have a few questions. Specifically, It only seems to stream movies from a certain computer running the software. Both media servers show up on the PS3, and it sees the files, but only plays from one?

Cheers

I tried out media playback on my PS3 the other day. Some files worked, some didn't. I didn't bother to figure out which codecs were problematic, I just sort of wrote it off for the time being. Glad to hear it's working for all files you tested though.

PS3 media server is installed on a computer. I actually put the software on two computers, just to test. Then you tell it which directories you want to share with the PS3. Once installed and running, you need to go into the PS3 menu, and hit "search for media server", it will find the computer easily. From this point you can view any type of media/video file. If the PS3 cant play it natively, the software on the computer will transcode on the fly. My only issue was it will work with one of the computers, but the other it wont transcode the .iso file?

Cheers

Archived