C4 Forums | Control4

Window Air Conditioner?

I'm considering picking up a window air conditioner or two, and I'm wondering about tying them in with my Control4 system.

The air conditioners I'm looking at have IR remotes. Would it be possible for my dealer to use a C4 ir emitter to turn the air conditioners on or off depending on system status (I.e. Whether I'm in "away" mode, or whether the room is above a certain temperature?)

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Being that we are talking a window A/C unit, I assume it just plugs into the wall. C4 outlet control would give you on/off. Probably not the full functionality you are looking for though.

Thats a lot of current through a C4 outlet or even a switch

Being that we are talking a window A/C unit' date=' I assume it just plugs into the wall. C4 outlet control would give you on/off. Probably not the full functionality you are looking for though.[/quote']

Thats a lot of current through a C4 outlet or even a switch

That was my exact concern.

I've been looking at the option of a mini-split air conditioner in the living room (instead of window air conditioners) -- and I just found out from the heating/cooling company that they actually carry a model that will interface with a standard (or C4) thermostat. It's a bit more expensive than the window unit route, but it's also a more permanent solution which is what I'm really going for. I'll probably end up going that route for numerous reasons....

Thanks to everyone for your input, though! :-)

Archived