C4 Forums | Control4

Post Hurricane Milton Problems - Help Please:

Lots of stuff broken or not working after Hurricane Milton.  Thankful because it could have been worse and was for so many.

Luma NVR (510) with Luma 700 series dome cameras were working during the storm (always fun to watch your house get torn up remotely),  but some cameras stopped responding showing NO LINK along the way.  Remote reboot would bring the cameras back, but they were acting strange (rebooting individual cameras, low light blow-out with IR, etc).

Morning after, only 2 cameras were still down.  Everything else seemed to be working fine from the Luma app (could see remainder of cameras).

Rebooted once I got home and now have NO LINK on every single camera.  Back of NVR has no link lights on any camera port.  Tried swapping a camera or two to different open ports on back of NVR with no change.

Cameras themselves appear physically fine and have survived plenty of nasty tropical weather in the past, but probably never winds over 100mph which I am concerned may have pushed water into places that even Snap did not design these cameras for.  Would be nice if Snap provided a discount to replace equipment for those affected by the hurricane for anyone here listening from SnapOne.

Any ideas?

*Will likely have other questions about other broken stuff, so thanks in advance.  Thankfully stuff can be replaced.  Best to anyone else dealing with the aftermath of the two back-to-back historic storms.

NVR does show playback even through last night after the storm had long passed (I can see myself outside miserably cleaning up) - only 1 camera off line at the time.  So as of 7pm yesterday with the storm well past us stuff was working.  Did not reset anything until today when cameras were NO LINK.

I can access the NVR directly.  No clue why I'm getting NO LINK now.  Looks like it all went off last night around 7:15pm - was on generator for over 1 day at that point with no issues.  NVR is on large battery/surge/brownout protection (WattBox).

If I go to camera settings on the NVR, the camera list show an error status for every camera.  Going to the IP address of any individual camera is no joy.

1000 mile away guess is the NVR is having an issue with it's built in network switch, possibly it's POE supply, which weakened somehow and dropped cameras off as it progressed to it's death.

If you have a POE injector about, plug it in between the NVR and a Camera.

I will have to check out the camera connections.

So I left the NVR off for 10 minutes, unplugged.  Rebooted and all but 1 camera came back.  No link lights on the port for that one camera, but confirmed port was OK by moving another camera cable to the port.  Then moved the same non-working camera cable over to a POE switch and got no lights.

I'm in a better spot than when I started this thread, but want to track down this last camera issue and better understand why it occurred in the first place...

12 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Would be nice if Snap provided a discount to replace equipment for those affected by the hurricane for anyone here listening from SnapOne.

The Luma 700 series has a 5 year warranty.  Can always file a homeowners claim? Or just replace for x20 cameras as the Luma 700 is analog and legacy/discontinued.  

OK - isolated 1 camera

POE switch on Luma 510 NVR has no lights when 1 of the camera is plugged in.  Remove that CAT5 cable and the POE switch on the Luma 510 lights back up and the other cameras come back to life.

So, I think c4toys was correct about a wet connection.

Any ideas as to what I am looking for at the camera?  Do I need to re-terminate the cable end at the camera or just let it dry out?

If the cam is shorted at the termination the pins will be corroded or black you would need to terminate again and still as Rav suggested pull the cam to bench test with another cable and preferably with another Poe if you have one to rule out the Poe port. That should point in the correct direction 

On 10/13/2024 at 11:26 AM, anon2828 said:

OK - isolated 1 camera

POE switch on Luma 510 NVR has no lights when 1 of the camera is plugged in.  Remove that CAT5 cable and the POE switch on the Luma 510 lights back up and the other cameras come back to life.

So, I think c4toys was correct about a wet connection.

Any ideas as to what I am looking for at the camera?  Do I need to re-terminate the cable end at the camera or just let it dry out?

leave that camera disconnected and call your dealer to troubleshoot further. the camera lost likely will need replaced.

It happens, I've had it happen. We live in a wet environment. My customer lost the pool cage and the camera attached to it!