C4 Forums | Control4

Help with new system - music

I am hoping to get some ideas and maybe some help. New system in a new to me house.  Dealer (who is not in state) set me up with an Core3 controller, and I have been using bits and pieces from my old c4 system in the house I used to own to flesh it out,.

basic setup is 

-core 3, latest OS

-24 Ch matrix by triad, driving into 2 audiocontol amps, with a total of 16 zones,.

- Josh.ai (have the core controller box, whatever the name of that is)

- Lutron lights (only have three switches @ this point)

- Hue lights x4

- modern forms fans x7, using the IP driver

-sonos audio source

-1x apple tv and one video zone for living room

Network is Unifi

so here is my issue, streaming music does not work. I can start a stream from any source, and the system turns off between 5 minutes and up to 2 hours later.  I usually use this at night to stream white noise into the bedrooms, that source can be from a ISB stick that is plugged directly into the core 3, or streamed from apple music (either controller based or through apple music on sonos),

I can start streaming from any of these sources but it has only played through the night once since I have gotten everything connected at the beginning of august.

originally I was using a old control4 16ch matrix, and I thought this might be the problem, so switched it for the 24 ch triad. this made no difference.

I thought it was maybe overheating in the rack, so re-spaced the components. also made no difference.  temp reports from the unifi system were all within reason though.

the network itself has been rock solid, at least as much as a network on a cable modem can be. but I replaced all of the interconnect cables just to make sure it wasn't a physical connection issue. 

I have noticed a few other issues as well:

apple tv not working (i know this is a apple and tvos18 issue)

occasionally, lights in the backyard (on a Lutron switch for control) do not turn off on the scheduled time

a few days ago, the core3 disconnected from the composer software while being used, repeatedly, almost as if it was resetting, but it was available for reconnect almost immediately.  this is what prompted me to replace network cables running from the core controller and matrix.

sr260 repeatedly goes into network search, despite the room it is being used in being one floor down and less then 20 feet from the core3 zigbee external antenna (ran it out of the rack room).

when the music/streaming stops I don't really notice any other interruptions. just turns off, but I have also never been actively controlling something else when this happens. it also happens no matter what source I am using, white noise on the usb, Pandora, apple music.

spoke to my dealer about this, and he really wasn't able to offer any suggestions. remotely looked at the programming, and didn't really see anything that could be causing the issues, but it seems to be getting worse, playing for less time before shutting off and the scheduler hasn't worked 3 out  of the last 5 days to turn off lights. (although turning stuff on on the scheduler never seems to be an issue)

i dont really know where to go from here. what can I do to troubleshoot.  is it possible I have a bad core controller?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you

he is out of state. I installed the equip and he did the initial programming. we have been doing remote like this since he sold me the system in the last house in 2011, then moved out of state.  works great as I can do most of the stuff myself, but sucks for advanced troubleshooting.

He did look at it, remotely, but basically couldn't find a reason this is happening.

Your Director service might be crashing and then it is losing state of where things were at when it comes back online. My controller has been crashing multiple times a day since it was upgraded it to the latest version to utilize the new built in music service. The first thing I noticed was listen to music and would just cut off. Then I started noticing I’d be watching TV and sometimes the remote (although no indicator on the remote itself) would just stop being able to control the TV. 

When these issues you have occur, launch the app on iOS and see if you don’t have any sessions active. If you don’t, but you didn’t turn off the session you had I’d bet your controller is crashing for whatever reason. 

I think that sounds like what I am having, the ios app is really what we use, didn't put any touchscreens in the project.  i shows no sessions active after the music stops

how did you correct this on your system?

15 minutes ago, shawkyns said:

I think that sounds like what I am having, the ios app is really what we use, didn't put any touchscreens in the project.  i shows no sessions active after the music stops

how did you correct this on your system?

Mine is currently on, and has been on,  an open ticket with C4 for months. I crash 2-4 times a day. It’s really completely changed my perspective on C4. At first it wasn’t a big deal, and then C4 folks helping me were great, but my system being broken for so long has definitely been very discouraging. Belief at the moment is the next OS3 update should fix me, so my frustration remains until that release happens. 

With that said, others have had Controllers crash routinely before as well and have been able to narrow it down to a bad driver. So for you it could just be something like that vs a larger bug that has been uncovered with my current state. 

OK, so bit the bullet and decided to wipe the controller. reverted to the last version of 3.3.

re-installed drivers, just the ones for the audio matrix and sonos

tried playing music and white noise. disconnected after 10 minutes the first time and after 5 minutes the second. it is losing the connection to composer as well during this time

this is with ONLY the triad matrix and sonos driver.

I am going to try  setting  up a ea1 as the primary controller and see if that does the same thing. that should check the matrix (but I dont think that is the issue as it is my second one)

not quite sure what I am going to do after that.  I am beginning to think this is a controller issue rather than a driver issue. anybody have issues with the core series doing something similar?