C4 Forums | Control4

Concord 4 "System Low Battery Trouble"

twodotmike

My Concord 4 system was installed around 2011. It was in the house when I bought it in 2015. I am having trouble clearing an error code for "System Low Battery Trouble". My old battery (12V 8AH) was 6 years old. I replaced the battery with a fully charged replacement (12V 8AH) but, I cannot clear the error code. The charging voltage to the battery is 13.48 volts. The open circuit battery voltage is 13.19 volts. With a small test load the battery voltage is 13.10 volts. I don't use the system but, I would like it be usable. Any troubleshooting manuals available? As a last resort I will just unplug the power supply transformer.

It can take up to 24 hours for it to clear for one, you could always disconnect power and battery (in that order) and back (in reverse) to reboot the panel. All you'd need to do is reset the time (depending on version it'll just allow you to do it by going to errors: set time and date and pressing star) or it's under the master code menu.

That should clear it at least at first: from there see if it returns (usually within 30 minutes if there is a bigger problem)

Cyknight: Thank you for your information. It has been over 48 hours since I replaced the battery. In the next few days, if the message doesn't clear, I will try your method of resetting the system. I don't recall the exact message I had 6 years ago but, it had something to do with the battery. I replaced the battery and all was okay. I was hoping for the same results, now, but I guess not! Again, thank you very much for your prompt response.

1) Are you sure it's the system battery, not a device

2) Are there perhaps secondary batteries (used when device power requirements exceed normal levels) alongside a second power supply

3) Try replacing the leads (should be easy to find on amazon)

4) There may be a bigger issue with the panel - unfortunately, as it's no longer made, indeed the company no longer exists you'll be limited in the ability to get support or replacement parts for that.

Cyknight: No, I'm not sure of anything at the moment! This unit was installed when the home was built. I have never used the system in the 'active mode' and, according to the original home owner, they never used the system, either. The system has just remained 'on' but inactive. The house was built in 2011 and I moved in in 2015. In July of 2018 the unit's key pad starting beeping and had an error message referencing the battery (I do not remember the exact error message). I replaced the battery and all was fine. Now, 6 years later, the key pad is beeping again with the error message "System Low Battery Trouble". I was hoping it was just the battery but, replacing it was no help. I don't know what the battery recharging input voltage should be but, my reading of 13.48 volts on the disconnected supply leads seemed adequate.

1. As for devices: I know of no devices other than the door and window sensors. The system is not connected to any alarm companies, it simply exists in the house.

2. I am not aware of any batteries other than the main battery inside the unit control panel area.

3. I had not thought about the main leads going to the battery as the charging voltage seemed adequate and was steady as I manipulated the wires.

4. When the new battery did not clear the error message I, too, thought the trouble might be tied to the main control board. I am not an 'electronics man' and I don't have any information on the wiring on the board. I can see that it has a 16.5 VAC input from the power transformer but, I don't know what the control board is using to supply the dc voltage to the battery (more 'black magic' to me). If it is the control board I have no intention of spending money on repairing it at this time. I will follow your previous suggestion of shutting down the system by disconnecting the power supply and battery, waiting awhile, and then reconnecting the power supplies.

It might be a day or two before I can get back to the alarm system but, I will let you know what I find and if resetting the system clears the error message. I truly appreciate all your suggestions and your time.

'

ChzBurger: Thank you for your response. At this time that would be more than I want to do. Because I do not actively use the alarm system, if checking the battery recharging wires and a system reset does not fix my problem, I will just remove the AC power, disconnect the battery and let the system sit idle.

Cyknight: THANK YOU - I tried your reset method, disconnect AC, disconnect DC, wait and then reconnect DC, reconnect AC. The "*" icon is gone and double pushing the "*" key indicates battery power is OK and AC power is OK. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Please know it is greatly appreciated.

As a bonus, while I had the AC power supply disconnected, I was able to use my C/B finder and I located and marked the C/B at my electrical panel.