C4 Forums | Control4

New iPhone app won't connect to system

Hi. I recently upgraded to new iPhone 16, and re-installed C4v3 app. Will not allow me to connect, keeps thinking I am outside and tells me to sign-up for 4Site. All other devices (wife's iOs app), remotes, etc. working fine. Tried removing user, re-adding etc. Thanks in advance.

@SJMO2, would mind confirming that you've granted the app permission to find and connect to devices on your local network. If you have this permission enabled and still aren't able to connect locally to your system, you can send the app logs to ios.support@SnapOne.com and we will take a look to see what is going on.

@bnorman I had checked the C4 app settings (on iOS 18) several times, and the "Local Network" toggle was already on, but this time I toggled the "Local Network" switch from on-off-on and disabled the "Cellular Data" switch for a moment, and the C4 app connected immediately. I reset to both cellular and local network "on" and seems to have done the trick. I suspect this is an iOS bug, particularly iOS 18.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, SJMO2 said:

@bnorman I had checked the C4 app settings (on iOS 18) several times, and the "Local Network" toggle was already on, but this time I toggled the "Local Network" switch from on-off-on and disabled the "Cellular Data" switch for a moment, and the C4 app connected immediately. I reset to both cellular and local network "on" and seems to have done the trick. I suspect this is an iOS bug, particularly iOS 18.

Thanks

It sounds like you don't have 4sight or connect?

I had the same problem after the my system was migrated from an EA5 to a Core5. I have 4sight. Every device in my family had to have the Control4 app for uninstalled and reinstalled, despite the new controller and migrated project showing up in the C4 web portal. It didn’t matter if the Apple device was connected to the same local network or not. 

8 minutes ago, WhyPhy said:

I had the same problem after the my system was migrated from an EA5 to a Core5. I have 4sight. Every device in my family had to have the Control4 app for uninstalled and reinstalled, despite the new controller and migrated project showing up in the C4 web portal. It didn’t matter if the Apple device was connected to the same local network or not. 

When you do a controller migration you have to delete the system out of the app and reset up the app. It doesn't migrate that part properly

34 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

When you do a controller migration you have to delete the system out of the app and reset up the app. It doesn't migrate that part properly

As I recall, I couldn’t even get to the screen to delete the system. The app would just hang. 

Regardless, this isn’t something an iOS end user should have to do. The app should default back to the list of current systems in their 4sight account and restart from there. 

13 hours ago, WhyPhy said:

Regardless, this isn’t something an iOS end user should have to do

Well, your dealer should have mentioned the need to re-log in: unless you have a lot of systems, it by default is simply easier to delete the app and reinstall it.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

it by default is simply easier to delete the app and reinstall it.

I agree that deleting and reinstalling the app is the easiest workaround. But it would be much better customer experience to not have to do any kind of workaround at all. The app should automate the recovery process, not the end user. 

I’m pretty sure each phone is individually keyed to the project.  So when you get a new phone, you must delete the project off your phone then re-sign in.   Every time I get a new iPhone, I have to do this.  You don’t have to delete the app. You just have to sign out of the my home project then log back in.

We actually send out a newsletter to all of our customers about two weeks after Apple releases a new phone. Because right after they get a new phone, they launch the Control4 app and it doesn’t work.   It would be nice if the my home app from Control4 had a little modal pop-up that said something like

” is this a new iPhone? if so, click here and sign back in…”.

Probably solve a whole lotta problems. ;)

Sounds like there are a couple of different issues mentioned here which need to be fixed. I'm not sure what options we have in the scenario where you've restored a backup to a new phone, but I'm sure we can do something there.

10 hours ago, Kaas Mayer said:

i had the same problem on all iphone 16. workaround was by adding a new system and enter the user and passwort again. even if the account was already in the app.

but i couldnt connect and couldnt change or add a password otherwise. 

Same here, verbatim. Was going around in circles. (Re)Adding it as a new account appeared to remove the old of the same name however.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Isn't this on purpose for security to prevent phone cloning?

It comes up every time there's new apple hardware and folks do a backup load to their new phone.

Agree with the logic but i have other more secure apps (even relying on 2FA) which appeared to run unhindered in the same way after a restore.

I think it'd be great if the app could tell the end user the actual issue (in this case something like, this phone is not authorized for use with your system, if you recently restored or replaced your phone, please do xxxxx)

The 'generic' "you need 4sight to connect remotely" is a bit of a pet peeve of mine in fact.