C4 Forums | Control4

new Google 4k Streamer with onscreen smart home controls

Thinking this could expose some C4 devices like switches, fans and maybe blinds and 1-2 other things?  Isnt the same as a Core with OSD, but for $100 if you just need OSD 1-2x in a guest room to turn on some lights or scenes or something, could be an interesting option

image.png.45fd412a352fed96fc339db3d13cbf6c.png

And also a very good streamer box. 

On a related note, why can't you run the C4 app on AndroidTV devices?  You probably can sideload the Android phone/tablet app but controlling it might be clunky with no touch screen.  Why doesn't C4 just make an AndroidTV app which should take minimal work given that they have an Android app?  Not wanting to cannibalize sales of controllers?

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

And also a very good streamer box. 

On a related note, why can't you run the C4 app on AndroidTV devices?  You probably can sideload the Android phone/tablet app but controlling it might be clunky with no touch screen.  Why doesn't C4 just make an AndroidTV app which should take minimal work given that they have an Android app?  Not wanting to cannibalize sales of controllers?

would impact sales of controllers, touchscreens, their remotes, etc would be my guess.  and they likely want to control the interface/ecosystem the best they can for the user experience.

5 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

would impact sales of controllers, touchscreens, their remotes, etc would be my guess.  and they likely want to control the interface/ecosystem the best they can for the user experience.

But is an Android tablet that different than AndroidTV in terms of the reasons you cite?  Why sell TS when you can buy an Android tablet or iPad for a fraction of the price?  And some Android tablets are POS and would give a poor user experience.

46 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Is there a driver for the new Google TV? Chowmain? 

The existing driver for AndroidTV from Chowmain should work, it appears to require a third party app on your device.  There is an OS driver that isn't currently working unless you do some revisions to it. 

11 hours ago, zaphod said:

The existing driver for AndroidTV from Chowmain should work, it appears to require a third party app on your device.  There is an OS driver that isn't currently working unless you do some revisions to it. 

normally chowmain drivers are rock solid, but i checked the driver a while ago and it felt very tinkered. so i deleted the zank app and used the firetv driver from c4 again. i saw that they made some updates last month. maybe its now more stable..
But mainly thats the reason i didnt went for the new google tv streamer. 

16 hours ago, zaphod said:

But is an Android tablet that different than AndroidTV in terms of the reasons you cite?  Why sell TS when you can buy an Android tablet or iPad for a fraction of the price?  And some Android tablets are POS and would give a poor user experience.

Intercom services.    They crippled it to some extent.  

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Intercom services.    They crippled it to some extent.  

But would that be different on an Android tablet/phone vs an Android TV device?  I think you mean the intercom services were crippled on the Android tablet.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

But would that be different on an Android tablet/phone vs an Android TV device?  I think you mean the intercom services were crippled on the Android tablet.

you said why buy an android tablet or ipad for a fraction of the price instead of a TS.  and I said because they crippled the intercom function on Android Tablet/iPads.  if intercom isnt of importance to you, and you dont mind the "not always on" feature, they aren't preventing you from getting a tablet

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

you said why buy an android tablet or ipad for a fraction of the price instead of a TS.  and I said because they crippled the intercom function on Android Tablet/iPads.  if intercom isnt of importance to you, and you dont mind the "not always on" feature, they aren't preventing you from getting a tablet

Fair enough - my point was more that they are willing to somewhat cannibalize TS sales by having tablet apps so why not have a TV OSD from AndroidTV devices which would cannibalize very few sales since the OSD is used even less and many people still may need a controller in a room as a music source or for IR or whatever.

28 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Fair enough - my point was more that they are willing to somewhat cannibalize TS sales by having tablet apps so why not have a TV OSD from AndroidTV devices which would cannibalize very few sales since the OSD is used even less and many people still may need a controller in a room as a music source or for IR or whatever.

you said OSD isn't used often, so why develop/maintain the app in the first place for another platform that would be marginally used?  there is no return for C4 on that type of technical investment.

23 minutes ago, zaphod said:

They have phone (tablet apps) because they need an outside the house device to operate the system.
They don't need an in house app on a set top box, which is a constantly moving target, which isn't going to result in increased sales but rather increased support.
And dealers would rather sell another processor that will be more reliable and make money, than support an app on a box which is getting constant updates and kids playing with.