C4 Forums | Control4

[Status Update]Apple TV tvOS18 Control

msgreenf

Sep 19, 17:13 EDT
Investigating - We are currently investigating an issue where IP control is lost on Apple TVs that have been updated to tvOS18, which became publicly available earlier this week. While rebooting the Apple TV or the system temporarily restores IP control, this appears to be only a short-term solution.

Previously, we significantly improved reliability with the Apple Bridge by closely monitoring the connection and automatically resetting it when it became unresponsive. However, with the latest tvOS release, this solution no longer seems effective.

We have submitted a bug report to Apple and are actively working on a long-term fix for this issue. In the meantime, we recommend that all partners and customers avoid upgrading to tvOS18. If you have already updated and are experiencing this issue, the current workaround is to reboot the Apple TV or system, though we acknowledge this is not a permanent resolution.

We understand how crucial this integration is to many systems, and we are treating this issue with the highest priority. We will provide further updates as they become available.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

View the full article

Not surprised as always seems to be a bug when a new Apple OS is released, especially multiple as there was over 6 releases on Monday.  At least the ATV is not ‘bricked’ such as new M4 iPad Pros updating to iPad OS 18 that Apple pulled iPad OS 18 earlier this week. Hopefully the ATV IP bug should be fixed within a week, but the new ATV was a minor OS update compared to iOS 18 and Apple Watch. 

15 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Sep 19, 17:13 EDT
Investigating - We are currently investigating an issue where IP control is lost on Apple TVs that have been updated to tvOS18, which became publicly available earlier this week. While rebooting the Apple TV or the system temporarily restores IP control, this appears to be only a short-term solution.

Previously, we significantly improved reliability with the Apple Bridge by closely monitoring the connection and automatically resetting it when it became unresponsive. However, with the latest tvOS release, this solution no longer seems effective.

We have submitted a bug report to Apple and are actively working on a long-term fix for this issue. In the meantime, we recommend that all partners and customers avoid upgrading to tvOS18. If you have already updated and are experiencing this issue, the current workaround is to reboot the Apple TV or system, though we acknowledge this is not a permanent resolution.

We understand how crucial this integration is to many systems, and we are treating this issue with the highest priority. We will provide further updates as they become available.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

View the full article

Sadly this problem has been in around since the early days of AppleTV 18 beta. I wish Control4 was a bit more proactive - as a developer they could have been a bit more proactive and reported the issue months ago.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

How is that even relevant?  It's September.  X4 is slated to come out in Q1 2025...

Doesn't imply a clear communication between Apple and their partners.
The AppleTV issues is a typical reactive response, they break you fix.
And, I'm sure I saw a post from a beta AppleTV OS user alerting to just such an issue prior to the open release.

"Sorry Mr Customer, Siri's going to be down for a week or two while they figure out what the update broke.... yeah, I iknow... yes, again."

3 hours ago, C4 User said:

It’s been a few days now and I have had no problem with my ATV after upgrading to IOS18. It will be interesting to see what the final verdict is on the cause of the issues some are facing. Or if it eventually shows up in my system.

Do you use ip or ir control?

• 2 weeks later...

This has happened about 2x a week since upgrading to tvOS 18. Disabling ATV integration in the C4 app, removing the C4 Controller Bridge, and then re-enabling integration to get the bridge re-added, works for me, for now.