C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 X4

3 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I think it's fairly imminent. I was at the booth at Cedia and employees were talking about beta release coming in October. And they were using it on the T4s in the booth to run the demo areas.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

thanks for that clarification!  Is the beta going to be open to end users or dealers only?  In going to the QR code it didn't have questions for end users (realize it's a dealer based show but customer input for users would be nice).

40 minutes ago, GregCAMS said:

thanks for that clarification!  Is the beta going to be open to end users or dealers only?  In going to the QR code it didn't have questions for end users (realize it's a dealer based show but customer input for users would be nice).

I believe that the beta will be open to end users who are currently subscribed to either connect or assist plans.  4sight is a no go for end user beta.  Would you really want to beta test a mission critical system for your house? 

2 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

I believe that the beta will be open to end users who are currently subscribed to either connect or assist plans.  4sight is a no go for end user beta.  Would you really want to beta test a mission critical system for your house? 

I am using 2 control systems in the house with Control4 now only on non-mission critical elements in 2 guest rooms (lights, shades with Lutron, TVs on IP control) with the rest on another control system. Just curious to see how this beta might work

4 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

Betas are usually not public for any brand. Most dealers cant/wouldnt take on the extra work load. Manufacturers want controlled feedback. 

makes sense  - wouldn't have minded since getting that input and feedback would be something would want to do since do it for my day time work with SAP and sign up for all Apple ecosystem betas.  

Circling back to “seamless Apple HomeKit Integration” for the X4 operating system.  Would this mean that an end customer could install a Yale living HomeKit lock or August lock (also HomeKit), that would be auto-discovered by the X4 OS, added to the project, and not need a C4 dealer to add to the project?  I assume that C4 would be Matter accessible with HomeKit integration and all of the Apple HomeKit accessories will be C4 compatible going forward.  What is stopping a customer from just having the C4 Core controller installed, then DIY HomeKit cameras and light switches such from Eve.  I see this potentially cannibalizing other SNAP product lines such as Luma security cameras, C4 lights—which adds additional revenue stream for a C4 dealer.  However, my current C4 dealer has informed me that a majority of his new customers are for single room set up’s and not a whole house integration project.  

Just now, IBZICON said:

However, my current C4 dealer has informed me that a majority of his new customers are for single room set up’s and not a whole house integration project.  

Does he make enough money on this to make it worthwhile? I would think that this is something like a $1000-2000 project, so not much profit for him, compared to whole house integration that is more like $50k+.

33 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

Circling back to “seamless Apple HomeKit Integration” for the X4 operating system.  Would this mean that an end customer could install a Yale living HomeKit lock or August lock (also HomeKit), that would be auto-discovered by the X4 OS, added to the project, and not need a C4 dealer to add to the project?  I assume that C4 would be Matter accessible with HomeKit integration and all of the Apple HomeKit accessories will be C4 compatible going forward.  What is stopping a customer from just having the C4 Core controller installed, then DIY HomeKit cameras and light switches such from Eve.  I see this potentially cannibalizing other SNAP product lines such as Luma security cameras, C4 lights—which adds additional revenue stream for a C4 dealer.  However, my current C4 dealer has informed me that a majority of his new customers are for single room set up’s and not a whole house integration project.  

I don't think it's honekit to c4. I think it's c4 to honekit to get siri integration 

7 hours ago, IBZICON said:

HomeKit integration working both ways is the likely scenario IMO. Although this type of implementation would spell the end of a long list of 3rd party drivers. 

38 minutes ago, T889034 said:

HomeKit integration working both ways is the likely scenario IMO. Although this type of implementation would spell the end of a long list of 3rd party drivers. 

This is one of my pet peeves.  If I want to buy a $20 outlet switch it sucks to have to pay $100 for a driver to get it to work in C4.  I understand that folks writing the drivers need to get paid, but it would be nice if the device maker or C4 paid for the driver.

This is one of the nice things with Home Assistant, you can find drivers for almost anything and they are free.

26 minutes ago, zaphod said:

This is one of my pet peeves.  If I want to buy a $20 outlet switch it sucks to have to pay $100 for a driver to get it to work in C4.  I understand that folks writing the drivers need to get paid, but it would be nice if the device maker or C4 paid for the driver.

This is one of the nice things with Home Assistant, you can find drivers for almost anything and they are free.

That would have to land on the device maker.  No way can you hold C4 to the fire to make a driver for every $20 widget out there. There are random companies out there who either develop their own driver or pay for someone to write one for them. 

34 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

That would have to land on the device maker.  No way can you hold C4 to the fire to make a driver for every $20 widget out there. There are random companies out there who either develop their own driver or pay for someone to write one for them. 

Completely agree. I’m hard on c4 for some ongoing issues, but they certainly should be able to rely on customers using well built and engineered accessories when writing drivers. Ie all this no-name crap on Amazon shouldn’t be considered seriously by C4 as hardware they should accommodate. And btw all electrical should be UL or ETL rated anyway and I think most of the junk on Amazon isn’t. I pay lots of money for C4 and have high expectations of them. They should be able to have high expectations for hardware — never expect c4 to work w junk. Ie if you’re paying $20 for a zigbee outlet switch you shouldn’t expect it to work w c4 or even be safe for your family. 

5 hours ago, T889034 said:

HomeKit integration working both ways is the likely scenario IMO.

Apple's interoperability efforts are all via Matter. There's not likely to be a HK device to C4 integration. Hopefully there will be some Matter news from C4 at some point soon.

3 hours ago, penn65000 said:

if you’re paying $20 for a zigbee outlet switch you shouldn’t expect it to work w c4 or even be safe for your family. 

Outlets that follow standard Zigbee specs all work the same and most can be covered via a common driver. Cheap Sengled and Third Reality outlets are ETL certified. C4 invests a lot in the AV space, non AV they seem to rely on 3rd parties. It's a double edged sword.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Looks to me that the new owner of Control4 is trying to gear up a sale to Apple - Or trying and get Apple Interested

Don't think so. And think about it, that deal just closed. This was already long in the works before the deal 

4 minutes ago, Popolou said:

Exciting, but surely Marketing could have given it another name so as not to confuse their UI with the long-established automation tech, X10.

I don't think most consumers remember x10. 

X4 as in experience 4