C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 X4

1 hour ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

X4 will run on anything that can run Control4 OS 3.3.1+.  This means that CA, EA, and CORE are all supported, but any HC controllers are not. Also the T3 Touchscreens, EA On-Screen Experience, and Gen 1 & 2 lighting will be supported for the initial update to X4 (4.0.0), but won't receive Home Screen, Routines, or any of the new UI and these devices will no longer be supported in a project at the next release following the initial launch of X4 (4.0.0).

Stupid question - isn’t the current lighting gen 2?  Or is that gen 3?

31 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Stupid question - isn’t the current lighting gen 2?  Or is that gen 3?

The current generation of lighting is Gen 3 (traditional and contemporary styling)

This was posted by someone else in a different thread, but it is an easy way to identify Gen 3 devices.

• LDZ, LSZ, DIM1, KP6, etc are all G1/G2
  • APD, FPD, KD, KC, TV are all G3

30 minutes ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

The current generation of lighting is Gen 3 (traditional and contemporary styling)

This was posted by someone else in a different thread, but it is an easy way to identify Gen 3 devices.

Ah ok thanks

8 hours ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

X4 will run on anything that can run Control4 OS 3.3.1+.  This means that CA, EA, and CORE are all supported, but any HC controllers are not. Also the T3 Touchscreens, EA On-Screen Experience, and Gen 1 & 2 lighting will be supported for the initial update to X4 (4.0.0), but won't receive Home Screen, Routines, or any of the new UI and these devices will no longer be supported in a project at the next release following the initial launch of X4 (4.0.0).

Dumb question, but the you say Gen 1& 2 lighting, does that mean the wall switch or adv lighting in composer?

3 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Dumb question, but the you say Gen 1& 2 lighting, does that mean the wall switch or adv lighting in composer?

never mind...asked before I finished the thread....

SO if we have all LDZ and KPs, will there be any path to upgrade? I have a lot of Gen 1 it looks like.....ugh

9 hours ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

I would say, based on info, that it's at best UNCLEAR how far at least EA controllers will be supported after the initial x4 version. Basically the on-screen will likely die completely after the initial version - it sort of sounds like EA controllers may be completely out after that, but that part is not 100% clear to me. So saying EA are supported in X4 is perhaps a bit misleading - though they will be supported 'as is' and in a limited fashion in the first build.

27 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

SO if we have all LDZ and KPs, will there be any path to upgrade? I have a lot of Gen 1 it looks like.....ugh

There is talk of a potential upgrade path/discount for replacing non-supported devices. No details at this point on what that will entail/look like.

9 hours ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

What I'm aware of at this point is that 4Sight will likely exist through the life of Control4 OS 3, so any customer with 4Sight should continue to have it until OS 3 software has been fully end of lived, until then OS 3 will continue to receive bug fixes and security patches, but feature development in major OS releases will move to X4.

Well, 4Sight on OS3 may live until end of OS3. 4Sight on OS2 (and OS2 in general) is a whole different matter.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

There is talk of a potential upgrade path/discount for replacing non-supported devices. No details at this point on what that will entail/look like.

What would unsupport mean?  I have dozens of Gen1 dimmers, switches and keypads. Is it just new functionality that wouldn't be available?  Or would I no longer be able to control them at all?

edit - A quick count shows about 32 keypads and 80 dimmers from G1.

That sucks, and I don't like the precedence.  I can understand having to replace controllers and TS every 5-10 years, but to have to replace all of your light switches and keypads about every 15-20 years is not nice.  Assuming that I got a deal for $150 per device I would be looking at $15k to do that replacement. My system was put in about 16 years ago.

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

That sucks, and I don't like the precedence.  I can understand having to replace controllers and TS every 5-10 years, but to have to replace all of your light switches and keypads about every 15-20 years is not nice.  Assuming that I got a deal for $150 per device I would be looking at $15k to do that replacement. My system was put in about 16 years ago.

They can’t run the Zigbee 3 stack….progress comes at a cost

Just now, Neo1738 said:

I will say I'm sad to see T3 on that list. Those aren't "that" old and especially wired ones should be ok as it's not a communication issue.

They are very low power...it's about compute not about age 

I will say I'm sad to see T3 on that list. Those aren't "that" old and especially wired ones should be ok as it's not a communication issue.

I assume the issue there is the new interface looks much more intense in terms of processing power and resolution…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

They are very low power...it's about compute not about age 

It's basically an android tablet, but what is so power hungry about the app? It only runs a front end GUI of what the back end EA/CA/Core is doing. Doesn't really have to process much.

30 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Right. How many protocol upgrades can you expect? Gen 1 lighting is 20 yrs old...

When it comes to lighting they should support every protocol they have indefinitely. As someone mentioned above, make a separate hub or something but its a bad look to abandon any kind of lighting. Control4 usually does a good job of keeping stuff going for a long time but this is a miss.

My guess is that they have the data and they dont think there is that many of those devices out there and they believe they can get away with it and not be a big deal. They are probably right. 

21 minutes ago, therockhr said:

When it comes to lighting they should support every protocol they have indefinitely. As someone mentioned above, make a separate hub or something but its a bad look to abandon any kind of lighting. Control4 usually does a good job of keeping stuff going for a long time but this is a miss.

My guess is that they have the data and they dont think there is that many of those devices out there and they believe they can get away with it and not be a big deal. They are probably right. 

A hub is a good idea. Not super hard to program reduced functionality to what it can support. Now if you're really worried about security with such a low power wifi network than I would disagree as that being your primary failure point/weak point for security sake. 

20 minutes ago, zaphod said:

What about SR-250 and SR-260 remotes.  With they be part of the obsolete hardware?

I hope not and I kind of doubt it - too many of them out there (and many are recent sales) as none of the newer remotes (Neeo and Halo) have taken off sufficiently to replace them (even in terms of recent sales volumes - from what I hear / read / surmise / guess).