C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 X4

7 minutes ago, Alt said:

@RyanE Can you confirm if Gen3 Lighting has the resources "(CPU/RAM/Flash) to support a modern Zigbee stack." & will be updated to Zigbee 3.0 in the future? 

I believe Gen3 lighting will be supported on X4.  Whether that's standard Zigbee 3.0 or something else, I don't know, I don't work on the Zigbee firmware and have not followed what the plans are, and as far as I know, Control4 has not announced specifics of that.

'In the Future' also a bit vague to give a definitive answer.  The future is a long time...  :)

RyanE

7 hours ago, RyanE said:

I believe Gen3 lighting will be supported on X4.  Whether that's standard Zigbee 3.0 or something else, I don't know, I don't work on the Zigbee firmware and have not followed what the plans are, and as far as I know, Control4 has not announced specifics of that.

'In the Future' also a bit vague to give a definitive answer.  The future is a long time...  :)

RyanE

Isn’t gen 3 current?  Can’t really sunset without a gen 4 so I have to assume gen 3 will be around for a bit

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

He said Gen1 which was based on Ember chipsets. Which lead to the question for Gen 2.

Again, not trying to argue that it doesn't work, just like to know why.

I believe the Gen2 are the same zigbee chipsets as Gen1.

They were more a new manufacturing plant/process, but very similar design to Gen1 if I remember right.

RyanE

I shall believe that Gen 1/2 will end up bridged into x4.

I can see why Control4 has chosen to EOL them due to technical limitations and age.
But it's in Control4's best interest to assist with a bridge approach through the third party developers.
They'll alleviate themselves of the support, and those owners wishing to have missing features, can upgrade.
Those who do not, can bridge, and accept the limitations and any reliability that may ensue.
Feels like the parts, EA, are there to make it happen. Any could even lighten the environmental impact of controller upgrades.

This isn't a profit grab for Control4 to push out more product.
Owners who do choose to upgrade have other third party products to pick from, and which would offer them more freedoms from a one vendor eco system, ...once bitten.

Wasnt there a guy a few years back on here who was able to get Control4 lighting into Smartthings?

No developer is going to make a hub for the older lighting. There is probably a tiny market for it. Im sure C4 has done the research and guessing that most of the people using the older lighting are probably still stuck on older versions of C4 and have no interest in upgrading so why go to the trouble to keep that product current. 

This is almost certainly a business decision and not a technical one to try and force those people into upgrading their lighting. They probably believe people have got their money out of them by now.

Ah seriously? No Gen or gen 2 lighting in X4?

F***u SNAP!

I get it that controllers and TS do kinda run EOL at some point but stuff that u actually put into a wall like light switches are meant to last and not to be EOL after 10-13 years

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

Wasnt there a guy a few years back on here who was able to get Control4 lighting into Smartthings?

No developer is going to make a hub for the older lighting. There is probably a tiny market for it. Im sure C4 has done the research and guessing that most of the people using the older lighting are probably still stuck on older versions of C4 and have no interest in upgrading so why go to the trouble to keep that product current. 

This is almost certainly a business decision and not a technical one to try and force those people into upgrading their lighting. They probably believe people have got their money out of them by now.

As mentioned earlier in this thread.  There is already a hub approach for these.  There is Domaudeo driver on Driver Central which allows control of lights in another project.  Thus as long as this driver works on X4, an EA1 with Director and a separate project loaded on it could be the hub for the lights…

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/domaudeo-multisystem-driver-airbnb-country-home-solution/

On 9/6/2024 at 8:45 PM, msgreenf said:

They can’t run the Zigbee 3 stack….progress comes at a cost

and a system that has elemental parts "fixed inside" the house cant expect customers to throw light switches, which work perfectly fine, into the trash - that's NOT progress it is a waste of monay and ressources.
New light switches will do the same task as the old ones "light on/off and dimm", there is no progress with new ZigBee 3 devices....

ZigBee 3.0 is no explanation. Any Zigbee Pro device can be talked to via a second zigbee server on a separate controller in X4 - that no excuse, its just a matter of will or a matter of ripping off the old customer base

Guess I am better off with KNX than Control4 then...

On 9/7/2024 at 12:00 AM, Cyknight said:

I would expect in Europe, you'd see KNX used with a variety of luxury brands.

In 99% of non-diy homes it is KNX - however KNX sucks big time for renovations due to the cabling....

8 minutes ago, blub said:

and a system that has elemental parts "fixed inside" the house cant expect customers to throw light switches, which work perfectly fine, into the trash - that's NOT progress it is a waste of monay and ressources.
New light switches will do the same task as the old ones "light on/off and dimm", there is no progress with new ZigBee 3 devices....

ZigBee 3.0 is no explanation. Any Zigbee Pro device can be talked to via a second zigbee server on a separate controller in X4 - that no excuse, its just a matter of will or a matter of ripping off the old customer base

Guess I am better off with KNX than Control4 then...

but they don't work fine - they don't work properly with LED.  A LOT has changed in 20 years

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

These are 20+ years old...

When I remember C4 lighting Gen1 was after initial release. We did get C4 1.3.2 in 2006 and if my brain isn't mushed there was no lighting a that point and it came in 2 or so years later - so not 20 years yet

Point is, as already stated, 20 years is nothing for a light switch and a new shiny ZigBee 3 light switch bring absolutely nothing new to the table, it sill controls the light, on/off and dimm - thats all it has to do and there is freaking reason to not offer a bridge via a second controller an run 2 ZigBee meshes side by side

7 minutes ago, blub said:

When I remember C4 lighting Gen1 was after initial release. We did get C4 1.3.2 in 2006 and if my brain isn't mushed there was no lighting a that point and it came in 2 or so years later - so not 20 years yet

Point is, as already stated, 20 years is nothing for a light switch and a new shiny ZigBee 3 light switch bring absolutely nothing new to the table, it sill controls the light, on/off and dimm - thats all it has to do and there is freaking reason to not offer a bridge via a second controller an run 2 ZigBee meshes side by side

They don't dim properly with LED...

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

They don't dim properly with LED...

Which users of Gen1/2 do not use anyway....so?

This just not an "ok" move as a bridge can easily be used or if C4 want to sell stuff something like an upgrade program/trade-in fpr 2 years for half price to get ppl to move on - hopefully a 3rd party dev will fix this..its easy money