C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa won't set Kitchen volume

I'm having trouble with Alexa not setting my kitchen volume. In my kitchen I have an Alexa but also in ceiling speakers for house music via C4 amps. When I say Alexa set volume in kitchen to 20 or Alexa set kitchen volume to 20 or Alexa set volume to 20 in kitchen, she says sorry can only set volume between 1 and 10.  Clearly, Alexa is not recognizing Kitchen as a Control4 room meanwhile all of my other rooms work just fine (ie Living Room).  This never used to be a problem so not sure what the workaround or fix is.  My Amazon Echo in Kitchen is called Amazon Echo not just Kitchen or anything similar.

2 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Is the Kitchen room checked off on customer.control4.com on the voice control page?  and visible in Alexa as a device?

I see that in Alexa app it shows several rooms as:

~More than 300 devices in Control4

I've seen this before and it takes a little work but usually I'm able to identify what device it is and rename it.  However, there will randomly be this where for whatever reason a C4 device is named this in the Alexa app.

I'll see if one of them is the Kitchen room which is probably why it's not working I'm now guessing.

Anyone else seen this problem in Alexa with naming C4 devices/rooms that phrase (~More than 300 devices in Control4)?

12 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

One problem now is that Alexa won't discover Kitchen or 4 other rooms I have.  I deleted the More Than 300 Devices entries and tried rediscovery multiple times. This was even after unlinking/relinking, unchecking/rechecking in My Control4, etc.  Whatever I do I cannot get Alexa to discover these tooms.  I've also had the same problem with one of my Control4 lights for past year nothing I do will get Alexa to discover it.  Even dealer was out and couldn't force Alexa to discover the light 

Not sure what to do now as Alexa not finding these rooms so continue to have no voice control of room speakers/volume in Kitchen and 3 other rooms.

Sorry to say Alexa is very clunky and got rid of it because the same issues you are experiencing. It wouldn’t discover certain lights after after they were working for quite some time. Besides I got tired of trying to remember the names of each of my lights just to control them via voice. I’m a C4 dealer and installer. Have you heard of Josh AI ? It’s leaps and bounds better than clunky Alexa. Stop wasting your money having your dealer come out and try to fix Alexa. There isn’t any programming your dealer can do to fix Alexa. 

15 hours ago, EdC4Tx said:

Sorry to say Alexa is very clunky and got rid of it because the same issues you are experiencing. It wouldn’t discover certain lights after after they were working for quite some time. Besides I got tired of trying to remember the names of each of my lights just to control them via voice. I’m a C4 dealer and installer. Have you heard of Josh AI ? It’s leaps and bounds better than clunky Alexa. Stop wasting your money having your dealer come out and try to fix Alexa. There isn’t any programming your dealer can do to fix Alexa. 

How does Josh AI work? That's a new one to me 

Still can't get Kitchen room rediscovered.... That's a pretty basic thing I would hope Alexa would recognize via Control4 but apparently that's too complicated haha

Josh Ai has little speakers just like Alexa that you place in each room. Biggest differences is you can have more control to program things into the system versus Alexa. For example if you have a Josh speaker in your kitchen, rather than saying Alexa turn off kitchen light all you have to do is say hey Josh turn off lights. It knows that you are in the kitchen and will turn off the lights. If your C4 system has video sources in it like Roku or Apple TV. You can call up content by your voice by saying Hey Josh i want to watch Breaking Bad. It will turn on tv and go right to the show or movie you want to watch. You can even control your music by your voice as well. It has great integration with Tidal and Pandora, if you say a specific artists name it will start playing that artist. If you have Xfinity cable you call control your cablebox by saying Hey Josh I want to watch ESPN and it will turn on the tv and go right to that channel. Please keep in mind that your C4 equipment and software will have to be newer for this to work. Josh is also privacy based and does not sell your info like Alexa. Alexa is always listening for advertising and who knows what else. Lastly Josh Ai is great but it’s much move expensive than Alexa speaker. If you have the appetite and the budget to improve your voice control then this might be for  you. I always tell my clients to try it with only one speaker and must people end up buying more because they love it much better than Alexa. DM if you want more specifics on pricing or possibly if your interested in purchasing one.