C4 Forums | Control4

Reboot Controller

Is there any way to manually reboot a controller (specifically EA5) without physically power cycling it?

A computer has a "power down" or "restart" feature.  Is there a similar feature for Control4 controllers?

Not natively for end user use.

There have been some reboot drivers (no clue if they still work) around.

Control4 does have a 'director reboot' option, which is essentially a software reboot. Most accessible way for the end user to do that would be via OVRC with a reboot setup by the associated dealer. Assuming you have an EA, CA or CORE controller, OVRC can be done as they have the hub software built in (so no hard need to have a full Araknis network) - even if you're on legacy 4Sight/registration (of course new systems -at least in the US- by default will have OVRC as the registration goes through there regardless)

There is a driver that lets you reboot the controller from Composer.

Back in the day you could also ssh into the controller and reboot in the same way that you would with any Linux device - enter a reboot or halt command at the CLI.  But you can't do that anymore unless you know the password.  The root password used to be the same for all users, but that changed with OS3.

17 minutes ago, zaphod said:

There is a driver that lets you reboot the controller from Composer.

Back in the day you could also ssh into the controller and reboot in the same way that you would with any Linux device - enter a reboot or halt command at the CLI.  But you can't do that anymore unless you know the password.  The root password used to be the same for all users, but that changed with OS3.

Do you have a link to this driver?

As per @msgreenf the reboot driver simply ran a reboot command on the controller.

This is now blocked on the new OSs (same as the old ping command).

That's not a bad thing either as commands often are slow to run and stall every driver. So particularly with the ping driver, it might lead to a few second of delays every time the command ran (so if you tried to turn on the TV during that period, or change a channel, it might take 4s). Also, it should improve security.

3 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

As per @msgreenf the reboot driver simply ran a reboot command on the controller.

This is now blocked on the new OSs (same as the old ping command).

That's not a bad thing either as commands often are slow to run and stall every driver. So particularly with the ping driver, it might lead to a few second of delays every time the command ran (so if you tried to turn on the TV during that period, or change a channel, it might take 4s). Also, it should improve security.

There is a new ping command though (as far as I know) and a couple of drivers that use this without the “old” issues.

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Reboot drivers are no longer supported 

I find this very interesting as I know that the theory is that these don’t work at all anymore.  I have 4 or 5 reboot drivers (as part of other drivers in most cases - and all from reputable driver developers) and 2 of them still work - I have no idea why! But I do still use them from time to time…

10 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

There is a new ping command though (as far as I know) and a couple of drivers that use this without the “old” issues.

Yep. That's correct. We also have the Internet rebooter driver which runs a test using normal network. An official way to do ping was only added in late os3.

6 hours ago, ajd123 said:

Do you have a link to this driver?

Use at your own risk and this may not work anymore, but here is one that was posted on these forums four years ago, not sure if this is the HouseLogix one or a different one

The HouseLogix one still works on my system but I am running OS3.1.3. 

2 minutes ago, TundraSonic said:

Our EA-5 has rebooted every Sunday morning at 3a for the past 3+ years. For better or worse this fixed a number of anomalies we were experiencing. 

for worse

3 hours ago, TundraSonic said:

Our EA-5 has rebooted every Sunday morning at 3a for the past 3+ years. For better or worse this fixed a number of anomalies we were experiencing. 

In the computer world I heard these called "therapeutic reboots"

17 hours ago, msgreenf said:

for worse

Agree, but such is life when you have to depend on integrators because stuff is walled off from owners. 

14 hours ago, zaphod said:

In the computer world I heard these called "therapeutic reboots"

And sadly beneficial sometimes. 🙂