C4 Forums | Control4

Most reliable wireless motion sensor for detecting people

I want to place a wireless motion detector on a wall opposite a waterfall (about 6-7 ft away) in the backyard and sometimes a tarp which really shakes during wind.  People walk in front of the pond in a range from <1 ft to 3 ft away from the sensor.   I have tried multiple motion detectors and either they dont trigger at all, or seem to constantly trigger without any one walking by at all.  Any recommendations for wireless sensors that have have reliability and low false positives (triggering for non-people objects).   Also ideally, I would like a led light on the sensor showing when it is activated.  Thanks!  

I have an NYCE motion sensor and it is giving HIGHLY unreliable detection.  At times appearing to work normally and at other times, immune from motion detection even when i wave my hand right in front of it. 

On 8/11/2024 at 11:19 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

We use Phillip hue sensor ~ work great 

Same -- been using the Hue sensors for a few years now. They also have temperature readings and that is exposed in the driver to display temp in rooms where it is located.

I've got multiple hue and one nyce sensors, multiple hue as cheaper and readily available in NZ. Hue work fine but I find (at least in my system) they are a little slower to detect the first motion than the nyce. Hue fine as long as dont need instant response Both have long battery life

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Thinking outside of the box I would use a Luma x20 camera. It’s analytics are more reliable than any motion sensor and at my own house not a single false positive 

I’ve used them for over a year at my house and dozens of client homes without a single complaint 

Liking the idea of a camera that has line detection (Hikvision for eg) which with a suitable driver, could detect the event and fire off something else.

Throwing another option into the mix: if you have DC power and wifi nearby, you can pair a wired dual tech PIR to a Shelly i4. which relays the events back to your system. Benefits being, should be very accurate as the PIR uses both passive IR and microwave for motion detection (reducing false positives), avoids wireless detectors that enter sleep mode/power save modes and an activation light.

22 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Low batteries @justme?

No I ordered new high quality batteries and made no difference.  It is driving me insane, since I have tried different locations, tried shielding sensor in pipes, boxes, etc, and each time it seems to work during the day, and not at night or vice versa getting frequent false alarms.  When I take the sensor inside and put it in a shielded location, no false alarms, and when pick it up it alarms as it should.  I am simply baffled.