C4 Forums | Control4

What should I notice in system with CA-10?

drmark12pa

Question

I'll soon be adding a CA-10 to my current system.  Right now, an EA5 is the coordinator.  I have an additional EA5 running my theater.  In my main level living room an EA3 runs that area and in large bonus room above garage there is another EA3 running that TV area. (4 zigbee meshes set up)

I have over 150 switches for lights/fans.  I've broken down devices to 4 meshes at no more than 44 on any mesh. (44 Living room EA3, 14 Upstairs bonus room EA3, 25 Theater EA5, 39 on Rack EA5 which is the coordinator currently). I have 2 Drobo hard drives that have all of my media stored on them for use.  I have 12 remotes (a mix of mostly 260s but a few 250s as well).

Just wondering what the expectations should be for adding this.  Will I notice less lag on the remotes for response?  Will the zigbee be more responsive as sometimes there seems to be a little lag with changing backlighting on keypads for example when the garage opens. 

What should I expect to see with the CA-10 being added?

11 answers to this question

2 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

I'll soon be adding a CA-10 to my current system.  Right now, an EA5 is the coordinator.  I have an additional EA5 running my theater.  In my main level living room an EA3 runs that area and in large bonus room above garage there is another EA3 running that TV area. (4 zigbee meshes set up)

I have over 150 switches for lights/fans.  I've broken down devices to 4 meshes at no more than 44 on any mesh. (44 Living room EA3, 14 Upstairs bonus room EA3, 25 Theater EA5, 39 on Rack EA5 which is the coordinator currently). I have 2 Drobo hard drives that have all of my media stored on them for use.  I have 12 remotes (a mix of mostly 260s but a few 250s as well).

Just wondering what the expectations should be for adding this.  Will I notice less lag on the remotes for response?  Will the zigbee be more responsive as sometimes there seems to be a little lag with changing backlighting on keypads for example when the garage opens. 

What should I expect to see with the CA-10 being added?

faster iOS app loading time

take it as a joke but seems like every time there is a hardware or OS update, people swear the iOS app gets faster.  

I have had my CA10s for almost 5 years and love them.

From memory, the following were the big pluses:

1. Everything was much more zippy;

2. Refresh navigators was much faster.  I have a massive project and this used to drive me nuts (my project has grown further and I do now look forward to something faster than a CA10 one day!);

3. Backing up my very large project was much quicker; and,

4. The project stabilised much quicker after a Director reboot.

30 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I have had my CA10s for almost 5 years and love them.

From memory, the following were the big pluses:

1. Everything was much more zippy;

2. Refresh navigators was much faster.  I have a massive project and this used to drive me nuts (my project has grown further and I do now look forward to something faster than a CA10 one day!);

3. Backing up my very large project was much quicker; and,

4. The project stabilised much quicker after a Director reboot.

I do sometimes find the remotes (more so with the 250 series) can be slow to respond when you first pick them up even if within 10 feet of the EA3 zigbee mesh it's assigned to... not sure if that's just the hardware or something that could be improved with CA10.

CA-10 provides much faster performance when rebooting, updating, backing up, and refreshing navigators.  I wouldn't say I've seen a huge jump in the performance of navigators, or other aspects of C4.  I tinker a lot and develop drivers so having a controller that can reboot quickly and restore quickly is important. 

One additional question is how easy is it to migrate from the EA5 that is my current main controller to the CA10 for the primary?  I'll continue to use the EA5 for the audio outs it supplies my C4 amps of course.

The addition of a CA-10 to my system made everything faster for sure including loading up music to play, T4 responsiveness, Doorbell communication. Maybe partially mental placebo, but was a huge upgrade and 100% recommend.

So I have my CA10 installed in rack, on network, and identified in project but dealer hasn't been over yet to migrate my EA5 to the CA10.  Will the CA10 be doing anything for the system in the meantime or is it just sitting idle on the C4 network?

12 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

So I have my CA10 installed in rack, on network, and identified in project but dealer hasn't been over yet to migrate my EA5 to the CA10.  Will the CA10 be doing anything for the system in the meantime or is it just sitting idle on the C4 network?

Will be doing nothing.