C4 Forums | Control4

Combining keypads and traditional switches/dimmers

Is there any reason why a circuit wired into a C4 keypad (dimmer?) cannot also be controlled by another traditional switch/dimmer elsewhere?
I'm just wondering about keeping costs down by not having C4 keypads everywhere. 

If you have two ways of controllng something and one of those disconnects the actual power then it won't work.

If you have two ways of controlling and both talk to each other (like hue bulbs and control4) then you can use both ways to make things work.

11 hours ago, Alex Bate said:

Is there any reason why a circuit wired into a C4 keypad (dimmer?) cannot also be controlled by another traditional switch/dimmer elsewhere?
I'm just wondering about keeping costs down by not having C4 keypads everywhere. 

I have a few places in the house where the actual power/switch wasn't in a practical place, so we programmed a keypad/switch in another area to control the lights.

14 hours ago, Alex Bate said:

There's several interpretations going on here to your question.

Can I use a home depot toggle switch on a three way circuit wired to a Control4 switch/dimmer/keypad?
No. It's special and needs their AUX keypad device.

Can I have the bedroom hall Control4 switch also turn on the bedroom Control4 switch?
Yes, as long as every time that's what you want the switch to do.
You can also setup a double tap which we do.
-Normal tap, hall on off
-Double tap top whole room on, double tap bottom whole room off (the room's switch is also going to do it's normal on off, double tap doesn't over ride that)
Special taps can be confusing and hard to remember for many.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2024 at 1:10 AM, msgreenf said:

Yes. That won't work. Use need to use c4 auxiliary at the other ends of the 3 way

You said elsewhere that decora keypads won't work here in the UK. 

Do I need a particular auxiliary switch to work with a square dimmer in the UK?