C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa For Security System

We have our system setup so the alarm can be armed (only armed, not disarmed) via a voice command to Alexa.

This is probably the automation we use most.  Every night when we are lying in bed either my wife or myself will say "Alexa Arm Alarm" and it arms the system to "STAY".

What are your thoughts about creating a Alexa voice command "Alexa Arm Panic" that could be used in the event of a break in or being held against our will by an intruder to trigger the alarm?

14 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

Last thing you want to do is be getting Alexa to listen in a panic situation..

Not sure I understand what you mean.

The idea here is to be able to trigger the alarm in the event I cannot reach a physical button or keypad or if I am on the move (I have lots of Alexa's throughout the house).

Couldn't stuff be inadvertently triggered by a TV show or just by you saying something similar?  What happens when the panic is triggered?  Is it a big issue if there is a false alarm.

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Couldn't stuff be inadvertently triggered by a TV show or just by you saying something similar?  What happens when the panic is triggered?  Is it a big issue if there is a false alarm.

The regular alarm (armed STAY) for when we are home, has never been accidently triggered in 3 years.  It is a pretty specific string of words "Alexa, arm alarm"...

For some reason my TRIGGER PANIC is not tide to the DSC system.  When I execute this command, nothing happens.

Edit: the PANIC was tied to the security, but it does not trigger an alarm, it just sends a silent signal to the monitoring station.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:55 PM, ajd123 said:

Also, it does not even give me the option to trigger "DURESS".

Anyone know how to trigger a DURESS alarm?

Duress Not Available.jpg

It all depends how you have your DSC panel setup.  Mine is setup so that both Fire and Panic send the same panic (radio) signal to  the security company.  However, fire activates the alarm also whereas Panic does not so one is a silent panic signal and the other is a full blown tell everyone there is a panic situation.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:09 PM, zaphod said:

I must say that I’ve never had a problem with a false alarm here…. 
I send panic signals in 4 different ways:

1. Alexa;

2. Tapping the red button on any remote 3 or more times in 2 seconds;

3. Holding down a keypad button labelled panic for 3 seconds or more; and,

4. Holding down the top button on any bedroom keypad for 3 or more seconds.

Of these 4 ways of setting off a panic signal, only the fourth one has ever resulted in a false alarm (and I have had items 2 to 4 in place for around 12 years and item 1 in place since the first Epic systems Alexa driver came out).  I used to have a 2 second requirement for item 4 and this resulted in about 1 false alarm every few months.  I changed this to 3 seconds and I have about 1 false alarm every 18 months. Not the end of the world although Ken with guns do tend to appear if I don’t cancel the false alarm 😂