C4 Forums | Control4

Changing from Teksavvy to Rogers Ignite internet

OPI0127

Question

I just decided to switch from teksavvy to rogers ignite for internet. And rogers has their own modem/router combined. When rogers technician installed the router, the C4 system is no longer connected. I know it’s a matter of network IP addresses changing, but the rogers router doesn’t have the advanced configuration options my old CIS router did. What do I need to do to get it back up and working? Is this something that home owners absolutely cannot configure even if we had Composer HE? So I need to contact a C4 dealer to help me make the necessary changes? 

9 answers to this question

Or just put the old router back in between.

Oh right, rogers will say it won't work to have the  cable boxes behind another router (if you have them). It will, they just won't support you if there's issues with the signal. If you can, see if there's a option to put into bridge mode/bridge a port. Depending on model, it may be in the router inteface, or you may have to use roger's app

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Or just put the old router back in between.

Oh right, rogers will say it won't work to have the  cable boxes behind another router (if you have them). It will, they just won't support you if there's issues with the signal. If you can, see if there's a option to put into bridge mode/bridge a port. Depending on model, it may be in the router inteface, or you may have to use roger's app

I did see an option to enable bridge mode. But right now I put back the Teksavvy modem so my family can still watch TV and have wifi. Will likely need to factory reset the rogers gateway and try it tomorrow.

So once I reset it and turn bridge mode on, all I would need to do is connect the rogers gateway to my router through WAN port and everything will work without any other changes?

10 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Should work yes

10 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Should work yes

So I turned the wifi gateway into a bridge, but plugging the rogers modem using an Ethernet port into the old router WAN port doesn’t work, and plugging to another Ethernet port works for wifi and my computer, but all my streaming devices don’t have internet connection. Because I only have 4 ports on the router and they’re all being used. My networking knowledge is limited, so I am uncertain of what type of work around would work. I also think I need to upgrade my router because it’s a gigabit router with no wifi 6e capability, and my new rogers internet is 1.5gigabit. But in the past, every time I ask my local C4 dealer, they always push for Araknis products because it’s the “most” compatible with C4, with a hefty price and not necessarily the best product. I feel like the C4 dealer is not necessarily the most knowledgeable in terms of IT/networking. So I’m stuck having to deal with my local dealer to make changes or upgrades, but they may not be knowledgeable enough to implement a solution that isn’t Araknis.

Do you have any recommendations other than araknis? 

I read that the Asus RT-AX86U Pro is a good router, but I think my existing router has POE ports, so it might not work for me.

Any advise you can provide to my problem would be appreciated.

It should be roger modem ethernet port to router wan port.

You mentioned CIS, which is a locked down custom setup - it's possible that it was set to a static WAN ip.

Arakknis is perfectly fine, but the reason many dealers push it is because it's EASY and has full support from Control4/Snap - not for it's cost efficiency. Other option exist but anything I would recommend isn't going to be a standard consumer router either. Nothing against ASUS, routers, far from it, but no, I wouldn't recommend it for a C4 system

Sadly, I suspect you'll need to get a dealer involved - not sure if any or the remote guys on here deal with CIS or can otherwise help you much but won't hurt to ask @chopedogg88or @msgreenf

29 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

It should be roger modem ethernet port to router wan port.

You mentioned CIS, which is a locked down custom setup - it's possible that it was set to a static WAN ip.

Arakknis is perfectly fine, but the reason many dealers push it is because it's EASY and has full support from Control4/Snap - not for it's cost efficiency. Other option exist but anything I would recommend isn't going to be a standard consumer router either. Nothing against ASUS, routers, far from it, but no, I wouldn't recommend it for a C4 system

Sadly, I suspect you'll need to get a dealer involved - not sure if any or the remote guys on here deal with CIS or can otherwise help you much but won't hurt to ask @chopedogg88or @msgreenf

Yes I did connect the Roger’s Ethernet port to the CIS router WAN port, but that didn’t work. But internet worked when I connected Roger’s Ethernet port to a CIS Ethernet port. But that required me to free up one of the ports by disconnecting one of the other Ethernet cables, and so I plugged that cable into the another rogers Ethernet port. Internet started working on wifi, wired computer also had internet, and even C4 worked and I was able to control the devices. However, when I tried using the streaming devices like Roku and AppleTV, it had no internet connection.

I am okay not going with a consumer router. Is Ubiquiti an option? Or perhaps I should replace my old CIS with a newer CIS gigabit 2.5 and wifi 6 capable router.

2 hours ago, OPI0127 said:

However, when I tried using the streaming devices like Roku and AppleTV, it had no internet connection

You're likely creating a double router setup, even with rogers in bridge mode. Problem at this point, it's hard to give you good info without seeing the setup, and having access to the router. CIS is microtic rebranded, it's nothing too special, just a way for dealers to have preset microtics without having to know how they wok really - that's not a knock on CIS and microtic is fine but it's going to be a closed log in so access will be limited at best.

I don't use ubiquti, but as you can see on these forums, many do: just be prepared to know/learn how it works.

I am coming into this a couple of weeks late but if you have TV you have to be careful about how you set up your network as the Rogers IgniteTV boxes use your local LAN for delivering the TV signal throughout your use. Most people use wifi but mine are hard wired.  The gateway seems to have hidden wifi networks that may still allow your boxes to work in bridge mode.

I have my Rogers XB8 gateway in bridge mode and use a Ubiquiti USG as my modem and a bunch of Uniquiti APs through my house for wifi. And four IgniteTV boxes connected via ethernet.

Hardwire more or less always work. Wifi in and of itself does too, but the ignite boxes are picky on what APs (or perhaps settings) they work with. I've had issues with Pakedge APs, no issues with Araknis, issues with Pakedge, issues with Microtic - again as per earlier post, can't comment on ubiquiti