C4 Forums | Control4

C4-KD120 Wiring

I have two outdoor lights wired to a single switch. I'm throwing this in so the dealer can program it - but need help with the wiring. The current switch has 2 black wires and the ground. I'm staring at 5 wires out of the KD120 scratching my head. I've looked at the spec sheet and I think I have it, but I figured I'd just check in here to be safe since you all are seasoned vets. See the attached image for the diagram of how it is wired - pretty simple.

Thank you.

c4.png

You need to hire an electrician.

Seriously.

One of those blacks is the hot from the panel, the other goes out to the fixture, you need to know (not guess) which is which, and you need to access neutrals and such in the box.

shut off breaker.  cut wires off of old switch.  turn on breaker.  use a tester to tell you which wire is the hot, and which is the load (hot will beep and flash, indicating 110v).  connect hot wire to the black wire on the KD.  connect green to bare copper.  connect white to white neutral wire (probably stuffed in back of box), connect red to the switch leg (other black wire which isn't hot).  don't connect yellow to anything, that is only for 3-ways.

You have a switch leg, possibly with no neutral in the box.

While the KD-120 can be installed without a neutral, it's not recommended for 'modern' light loads (like LEDs, CFL, etc.), because they often will continue to glow when 'off', due to the necessary current to run the dimmer electronics.

As mentioned above, if you don't know what a 'switch leg' is, and don't know what wire is what, I also recommend you get an electrician. 

RyanE

Thanks for the replies so far. I’ve hooked up outlets and receptacles many, many times. This one being in a 4 gang box is just more intimidating. Neutrals are all connected together inside the box.

I think part of the reason you're getting a bit of pushback is that pretty much every dimmer uses the same colors:

• White: Neutral
  • Black: Hot
  • Red: Load
  • Green: Ground

Except, of course, the yellow, which you can (and should) ignore.

If you have neutrals in the box, you should be good to go.

Be careful, and good luck.

RyanE

Its the same as any other light switch really, except for the added neutral wire connection.  I either just wire nut in the white wire from the KD into the existing Neutral bundle if it fits.  Otherwise, you may need to add a jumper wire into that bundle and then wire the white wire to the jumper.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.