C4 Forums | Control4

Roku IP address is changed everytime Control4 - after outage

Hello,

My Roku IP address changes after a brief power outage or reset and my Control4 remote will not operate Roku. This problem appears to be caused by the Roku boxes being assigned a different IP address than the Control4 system.  I wonder if there's a way to change the IP address myself without relying on my rep or is there a permanent solution for setting an IP address in the control4 system?  

Thank you,

your control4 system doesn't run your network...i would make a DHCP reservation in your router for your Roku BUT you don't need to do.  Identify the Rokus by name not IP in the driver

I realize that Control4 does not control the network.  Based on my rep, once there's an outage due to being unplugged or reset, Roku grabs a new IP address and Control4 doesn't see the change so it's still on the old IP.  

35 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I realize that Control4 does not control the network.  Based on my rep, once there's an outage due to being unplugged or reset, Roku grabs a new IP address and Control4 doesn't see the change so it's still on the old IP.  

Roku can be ID'd in Composer with either their current IP address or through a SDDP process.
If dealer used IP to set it up, then when Roku gets a new IP, then Control4 can't find it anymore, because it expects it at a specific IP and it moved.
If dealer used SDDP, then Control4 doesn't care about IP changes.

The only way to set Roku to always have the same IP, is to do a router reservation as Roku hardware doesn't allow for static addresses.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Roku can be ID'd in Composer with either their current IP address or through a SDDP process.

Roku does not support SDDP.

It does have it's own discovery process, which the driver can use to pick the player from a dropdown.  I personally prefer static DHCP reservations for the Roku, and identifying by that IP Address.

RyanE

7 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Roku does not support SDDP.

It does have it's own discovery process, which the driver can use to pick the player from a dropdown.  I personally prefer static DHCP reservations for the Roku, and identifying by that IP Address.

RyanE

I have had zero issues with the discovery process BUT I reserve each Roku by default to begin with

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2024 at 2:23 PM, Cyknight said:

I have had zero issues with the discovery process BUT I reserve each Roku by default to begin with

I reserve pretty much every smart device that will be communicating with C4 or anything else.  Rokus, other streamers, cameras, Echos, AVRs, TVs, smart outlet switches, etc. 

30 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Not necessary 

Not necessary, but also not a bad idea.

I like knowing which devices on the network are 'guests' that have gotten IP addresses that aren't from my static DHCP range, and there are cases where devices don't handle SDDP very well (early Samsung TVs, I'm looking at you), that work better if addressed via IP address, and IMHO by far the easiest way to manage 'static' IPs is via DHCP reservation.

All my addresses are in one place.

RyanE

Exactly, I like to keep separate IP ranges for cameras, TVs, etc.  That way if I need to go to the web UI for these devices I know what it is and I don't have to go to Fing or my Unifi Controller to find IP addresses for clients.

And some older devices may not even have SDDP.

41 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Exactly, I like to keep separate IP ranges for cameras, TVs, etc.  That way if I need to go to the web UI for these devices I know what it is and I don't have to go to Fing or my Unifi Controller to find IP addresses for clients.

And some older devices may not even have SDDP.

I am glad to find a kindred spirit.  I always figured it was a symptom of my OCD that every device on our network has a reserved or static IP address. 

12 minutes ago, DLite said:

I am glad to find a kindred spirit.  I always figured it was a symptom of my OCD that every device on our network has a reserved or static IP address. 

I am even thinking about moving away from a /24 network as I am running out of addresses and I like to have it more organized.  But I bet that is begging for trouble if you don't change the subnet mask on everything.

But there are things that I would do if I started over with my home network, like not using a popular prefix, like 192.168.1 as you can get hosed when out of home and using a VPN.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

But there are things that I would do if I started over with my home network, like not using a popular prefix, like 192.168.1 as you can get hosed when out of home and using a VPN.

Please stick to rfc1918. Don't pick a random IP range. There are reasons rfc1918 exists

6 hours ago, msgreenf said:

rfc1918

indeed.

using 192.168 (or the other two base ranges) is perfectly fine, you want to 'play' around, play with the 3 set of digits

7 hours ago, zaphod said:

But I bet that is begging for trouble if you don't change the subnet mask on everything

Sure, well everything that needs it at least. Then again proper work should be standard 😉

14 hours ago, RyanE said:

Or go with a 10.x set of numbers...

yeah 10.x.x.x is more free that way. 172.16 to 172.31 also. Point being don't mess outside of the standard

I wish that at the time they'd have been a bit more specific, example going 192.168.x.x for standard residential setups, 10.x.x.x for commercial setups and 172.16/31.x.x reserved for specialty (government/educational/science). Would have made a cleaner setup, avoided odd clashes with remote connections etc.

Then again, they never truly expected ipv4 to run out of room either 🫠

Ah well, wishful tech thinking 🤪

21 hours ago, RyanE said:

My home network for historical reasons is 192.168.29.x.

Someday I may change.

That is very smart.  This is what I would do if I started over - use an uncommon third byte. My mistake was going 192.168.1.x. It doesn't hit me very often but it is a pain when your hotel uses that IP addressing scheme and you want to use VPN.

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

That is very smart.  This is what I would do if I started over - use an uncommon third byte. My mistake was going 192.168.1.x. It doesn't hit me very often but it is a pain when your hotel uses that IP addressing scheme and you want to use VPN.

Mine is that because at a previous job (almost 20 years ago), the work VPN was segmented, and everyone needed their own range when logged in (back in 2000).

I've been too lazy to change it to anything else.

:)

RyanE