C4 Forums | Control4

Detective Suite

Hello Control4 employees.

Just another request to have "Detective Suite" added to Composer HE.

We have been requesting this for years.

Any chance we might see this in a future releases?

26 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

What are you trying to achieve?

The ability to search and find where programming might be hidden.

I cannot always remember where I put programming when I go to look for it a year later.

For example, I just added some notifications for my thermostat if the temperature goes above or below a set value inside the house.  I placed this in the room --> thermostat --> "Temperature Changed".

When I go to look for this programming in a year, I cannot always remember where I placed the programming block.

Hidden Programming.jpg

30 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

The ability to search and find where programming might be hidden.

I cannot always remember where I put programming when I go to look for it a year later.

For example, I just added some notifications for my thermostat if the temperature goes above or below a set value inside the house.  I placed this in the room --> thermostat --> "Temperature Changed".

When I go to look for this programming in a year, I cannot always remember where I placed the programming block.

Hidden Programming.jpg

Couldn’t agree more!!

If you take a current system backup, the file will contain the programming XML for the project. It can be a bit cumbersome to parse without an XML editor but it should give you a good idea what is where.

2 hours ago, Popolou said:

If you take a current system backup, the file will contain the programming XML for the project. It can be a bit cumbersome to parse without an XML editor but it should give you a good idea what is where.

You think that's gonna help him?

I 100% agree with the above suggestion regarding including Detective Suite in the HE version.  For now, a work around is to have your dealer generate a full System Report as a PDF.  For my project, this is a 600+ page document.  I can then use the FIND and SEARCH features in Adobe Acrobat to find programming blocks.  An added advantage is that I can compare (using the REDLINE feature in Adobe Acrobat) two system reports and make certain that critical programming has not been altered.

19 hours ago, BDavisNJ said:

I 100% agree with the above suggestion regarding including Detective Suite in the HE version.  For now, a work around is to have your dealer generate a full System Report as a PDF.  For my project, this is a 600+ page document.  I can then use the FIND and SEARCH features in Adobe Acrobat to find programming blocks.  An added advantage is that I can compare (using the REDLINE feature in Adobe Acrobat) two system reports and make certain that critical programming has not been altered.

Great suggestion. This is what I have been doing already as my current workaround.  I wonder if there is a way to create a script where it would email me a full system report once a week?

20 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Great suggestion. This is what I have been doing already as my current workaround.  I wonder if there is a way to create a script where it would email me a full system report once a week?

There is not