C4 Forums | Control4

Controller Question - add a CORE1 or replace EA5 with CORE5?

40 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

The SR250 remotes were released 2010 or earlier and still work. So there is still hardware supported for at least 14 years...

Apple only supports their computers for 7 years.

Also systems don't suddenly break as a new C4 OS is released. There's still (too) many customers out there with old hc series hardware and hardware with physical knobs. And most drivers written 15 years ago still work (provided you turn logging off)

Are you still running host hardware which is no longer supported by Apple and is no longer getting security updates?

There are still a lot of customers actually using ancient drivers too.

I am pretty sure that the C4-16AMP3-B is even older and still supported, or at least it still works perfectly well in C4 systems.  I think they were first released in 2004.

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I am pretty sure that the C4-16AMP3-B is even older and still supported, or at least it still works perfectly well in C4 systems.  I think they were first released in 2004.

I have 3 of those, they still work perfectly fine.

I also have about 50 Gen1 Zigbee dimmers and 2/3/6-button zigbee keypads that work flawlessly (other than the physical buttons getting a bit soft), that I've had for over 19 years.

RyanE

I also just realised that I've also recently updated a lot of drivers released originally by Chowmain in 2014 (and even more in 2016).

So even as a third party developer for Control4, most of our drivers originally released 10 years ago are STILL getting major OPTIONAL updates recently (including performance optimisations and diagnostics)... So, it seems from all aspects, there is a lot of long term support

47 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I also have about 50 Gen1 Zigbee dimmers and 2/3/6-button zigbee keypads that work flawlessly (other than the physical buttons getting a bit soft), that I've had for over 19 years.

RyanE

Me too, on both the amps and the dimmers+keypads, but the next generation of amps (non-matrix) were not as reliable.

41 minutes ago, Time2Jet said:

A furnace is a very large investment in your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just like a c4 system will keep doing the same thing it did day 1 without updating and with long years of service 

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Sounds like my home.  :)

34 minutes ago, RyanE said:

My system definitely has "The Cobbler's children have no shoes" syndrome.

I have old programming and drivers that need to be cleaned out, as well as old hardware that I should really replace (Gen1 dimmers).

RyanE

Well at least LED light bulbs have come a long way. My GEN1 dimmers no longer hum like they did a few years back, which is a good thing, cause we have a LOT of dimmers! My oldest amazement is the OOOOLD 8 Zone and 4 Zone matrix amps we have. I will cry when they finally go.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:28 PM, zaphod said:

Heck the original 16ch amp is still supported, as is the original matrix.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:18 PM, msgreenf said:

As bas been previously stated it can't decrypt the apple encrypted steam. Apple music is the only service that encrypts its streaming 

It's literally missing the hardware able to do it. Simple as that.

Also, folks should keep in mind that 4Sight/Connect is REQUIRED for apple music to work.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:44 AM, chopedogg88 said:

I would probably just stick with your EA5 for now, unless you need the z-wave radio functionality that is in the CORE 5, or if you needed more audio streams (CORE 5 has 6 outputs vs 4 on the EA-5)

I support this answer.  If your performance is not suffering wait until EA5 reaches end of life and then update.

I sure hope this is not happening anytime soon :)