C4 Forums | Control4

Controller Question - add a CORE1 or replace EA5 with CORE5?

I have an EA5 (and several EA1's) that run my rather large project. I'm perfectly happy with system performance. I am very excited about the Apple Music integration.

I'm trying to decide between just snagging a CORE1 to add to the project, or replacing the EA5 with a CORE5. If I'm happy with everything now, is there any real reason to replace the EA5? I used to jump to every new controller, but have got off that train and am truly happy with the EA5...but I also don't know what I might be missing. If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it. Going to get a new controller ordered today.

At some point the ea5 will be eol and won't get updates. This is first of likely other features that will require a core

There are 2 ways to look at this:

Get apple music for lowest cost - add a core 1

Plan for the future eol of ea series - core 5

Expect that if you buy the core 1 at some point you will still have to replace the ea5

I would probably just stick with your EA5 for now, unless you need the z-wave radio functionality that is in the CORE 5, or if you needed more audio streams (CORE 5 has 6 outputs vs 4 on the EA-5)

19 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I would probably just stick with your EA5 for now, unless you need the z-wave radio functionality that is in the CORE 5, or if you needed more audio streams (CORE 5 has 6 outputs vs 4 on the EA-5)

Thanks, Ari. That's the way I'm leaning. For $15 I can get a DAC and use the Digital out from the Core 1 to add an audio stream. If I do this, I will also offload the OSD (which gets limited use, but some) to the Core 1 to free up that much more compute on the EA5.

23 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

At some point the ea5 will be eol and won't get updates. This is first of likely other features that will require a core

There are 2 ways to look at this:

Get apple music for lowest cost - add a core 1

Plan for the future eol of ea series - core 5

Expect that if you buy the core 1 at some point you will still have to replace the ea5

Thanks, Mitch. I totally agree that the EA5 isn't going to last forever. Just trying to weight the cost/benefit analysis.

I've had a Media Controller, HC800, EA5...lots of smaller controllers underneath all of them...I can appreciate that software demands newer hardware at certain points. Being happy with the EA5, I'm thinking I'll run with the EA5 + Core 1 for a bit and hope that I can ride that combo until the NEXT wave of controllers hits. I know the Core controllers are about 18 months old at this point, so probably 50% of the way through their lifecycle.

I'm going to run with the Core 1 for now, get a DAC to leverage the digital audio out to my distributed audio system and offload the OSD from the EA5 to the Core 1.

Thanks, Mitch. I totally agree that the EA5 isn't going to last forever. Just trying to weight the cost/benefit analysis.

I've had a Media Controller, HC800, EA5...lots of smaller controllers underneath all of them...I can appreciate that software demands newer hardware at certain points. Being happy with the EA5, I'm thinking I'll run with the EA5 + Core 1 for a bit and hope that I can ride that combo until the NEXT wave of controllers hits. I know the Core controllers are about 18 months old at this point, so probably 50% of the way through their lifecycle.

I'm going to run with the Core 1 for now, get a DAC to leverage the digital audio out to my distributed audio system and offload the OSD from the EA5 to the Core 1.

Core1 has a digital coax output, not just the HDMI like the EA1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

That's a good approach. I sold a few Cores yesterday to customers who made the same decision 

1 hour ago, Time2Jet said:

Core1 has a digital coax output, not just the HDMI like the EA1.

Right. So I'll run the that digital output through a DAC and RCA inputs to my distrubuted audio system. So I pickup an audio zone, offload OSD and can get Apple Music. #Winning

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

You don't need to do all that. You're existing audio pass out of your EA. 5. Will output the audio

Let me understand this.  If you have a Core platform controller in the project (even as secondary) you can have Apple Music?  I don't understand how this all works?  

20 minutes ago, Time2Jet said:

Let me understand this.  If you have a Core platform controller in the project (even as secondary) you can have Apple Music?  I don't understand how this all works?  

Correct. It does it all via ip

I was under the impression that a Core controller needed to be the master.

ill have to reread the email blast again.  But no one I deal with wants Apple Music anyways, so may just let this all play out. 

18 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

ill have to reread the email blast again.  But no one I deal with wants Apple Music anyways, so may just let this all play out. 

Nope. Doesn't have to run director 

15 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Was my understanding as well, but @msgreenf has his finger on the pulse of this stuff far more than I do.  It's surprising to me from a sales standpoint that they will allow an EA series to stream Apple Music so long as there is a Core platform processor in the project given this is another opportunity to move toward deprecating the EA platform.  I did sell a Core 1 today for this exact scenario, but I thought I would be using the Core's digital coax out to the matrix.  I feel pretty stupid even though it'll still work the way I sold it.

10 hours ago, Time2Jet said:

It's surprising to me from a sales standpoint that they will allow an EA series to stream Apple Music so long as there is a Core platform processor in the project given this is another opportunity to move toward deprecating the EA platform.

Surprising to some that it's not actually Control4's (or Snap One's, or ADI's) default policy to screw over the customer as early as possible...

:)

In all seriousness, in my opinion and experience, Control4 does not (and has not in the past) deprecate things for marketing or sales reasons. 

The deprecations I've been around for, were mainly technical issues (insufficient ram/flash/CPU/OSD resolution) for new technologies (like Android, or before that, Adobe Flash), parts availability / supply chain issues (especially during / after covid), and 'long tail' support of platforms that, although the controllers themselves could work for years, were too expensive to continue supporting with new OS releases.

The EA series will certainly reach that point, as will every other controller series eventually, but fortunately today is not that day.

RyanE

NOTE: I'm not speaking for the company when I say these things...

8 hours ago, RyanE said:

Surprising to some that it's not actually Control4's (or Snap One's, or ADI's) default policy to screw over the customer as early as possible...

:)

In all seriousness, in my opinion and experience, Control4 does not (and has not in the past) deprecate things for marketing or sales reasons. 

The deprecations I've been around for, were mainly technical issues (insufficient ram/flash/CPU/OSD resolution) for new technologies (like Android, or before that, Adobe Flash), parts availability / supply chain issues (especially during / after covid), and 'long tail' support of platforms that, although the controllers themselves could work for years, were too expensive to continue supporting with new OS releases.

The EA series will certainly reach that point, as will every other controller series eventually, but fortunately today is not that day.

RyanE

NOTE: I'm not speaking for the company when I say these things...

IMO I completely disagree. It was one of the factors considered when I switched preferred lines and has continued to be true the past few years. 

11 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

IMO I completely disagree. It was one of the factors considered when I switched preferred lines and has continued to be true the past few years. 

what hardware do you use that has NEVER gone EOL on anything?

14 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

I have this solar calculator that only does simple math. Does that count?

no, but if you tried to do the functions of a TI-83 on it, you wouldn't be able to.

Like if you want your EA to keep on doing what it did yesterday it will!  But if you want more advanced stuff, you have to upgrade and more advanced stuff takes more resources

7 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

The SR250 remotes were released 2010 or earlier and still work. So there is still hardware supported for at least 14 years...

Apple only supports their computers for 7 years.

Also systems don't suddenly break as a new C4 OS is released. There's still (too) many customers out there with old hc series hardware and hardware with physical knobs. And most drivers written 15 years ago still work (provided you turn logging off)

Are you still running host hardware which is no longer supported by Apple and is no longer getting security updates?

There are still a lot of customers actually using ancient drivers too.

I'm not sure the comparisons are fair. Control4 is a luxury home automation platform that requires a significant investment. I mean, I guess you could compare it to a furnace? I opened a can of worms here by mentioning deprecating the EA controllers. What's the reason why an EA series cannot handle Apple Music.

17 minutes ago, Time2Jet said:

I'm not sure the comparisons are fair. Control4 is a luxury home automation platform that requires a significant investment. I mean, I guess you could compare it to a furnace? I opened a can of worms here by mentioning deprecating the EA controllers. What's the reason why an EA series cannot handle Apple Music.

As bas been previously stated it can't decrypt the apple encrypted steam. Apple music is the only service that encrypts its streaming 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.