C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Music Announced on Instagram

3 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Does an Apple family account mean that one can play multiple streams in the same way as a Tidal family account allows multiple streams

No -- you'll need to have multiple instances of the Apple Music driver and have different accounts logged into each one of them.

6 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This is very interesting… it will be interesting to see whether I (and others like me) move back to Apple Music having very reluctantly moved to Tidal a few years ago in order to get good (great) integration.

Does an Apple family account mean that one can play multiple streams in the same way as a Tidal family account allows multiple streams.  Also, does 1 Core controller (or Triad) in the project allow multiple stream throughout the project even though this device does not provide the relevant number of physical connections into the environment?

In my Tidal test case, I moved for the C4 integration - as well as intigration with Roon and just being a bit nerd.

However no one else in the family is using Tidal, they will still do airplay even with all the glitches. And of course complain.

So in my case I’ll be installing Apple Music as fast as possible.  Reading the flyer Mitch posted, I’ll just create an Apple Music (ie Kris’ Music)  for each account, and everyone will be happy going forward. So I hope :)

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Reboot controller 

Just did that. Still no luck.

Then after about a minute a message appeared in the iOS C4 App stating something along the lines of "This is still new and billing details are still being worked out. Will take up to 10 minutes to install/configure."

6 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This is very interesting… it will be interesting to see whether I (and others like me) move back to Apple Music having very reluctantly moved to Tidal a few years ago in order to get good (great) integration.

Does an Apple family account mean that one can play multiple streams in the same way as a Tidal family account allows multiple streams.  Also, does 1 Core controller (or Triad) in the project allow multiple stream throughout the project even though this device does not provide the relevant number of physical connections into the environment?

Now that Tidal has ended MQA support I'd expect we do see a migration back, but time will tell. 

Yes with a family account you can have 6 streams you would just need to have 6 Apple Music drivers in the project (1 stream per driver, but it can be distributed to multiple rooms/audio endpoints/MoIP endpoints thanks to Ryff). Apple doesn't even require that you log into 6 different account all 6 drivers could be logged into the same account and Apple will share those 6 licenses between all family users.

Yes, the Core Lite/1/3/5 or Triad SA-1 is primarily just handling the DRM decoding so that the stream limits are tied to the total supported streams from all controllers setup as an audio servers under Digital Audio in the project.

sounds based on RAV's post above like all you need is at least one CORE or Triad SA1 in the project and you can have as many streams out of your main controller (EA5 for example) as you want, provided you have the right Apple Music subscriptions in place.

oh I do have 2 extra SA-1s in stock for anyone looking

Just now, tmj4 said:

Just did that. Still no luck.

Then after about a minute a message appeared in the iOS C4 App stating something along the lines of "This is still new and billing details are still being worked out. Will take up to 10 minutes to install/configure."

@tmj4,
DM me your account info and I'll have engineering take a look.  There are several dependencies installed in the background to support Apple Music, so depending on location and internet speed time varies, but typically all the dependencies are installed before you complete the login and attempt to play audio. We do have a button in the properties page that can force it if things aren't working properly for some reason, but you want to wait at least 10 minutes first and then only push that button once as multiple presses can cause issues.

Just now, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

@tmj4,
DM me your account info and I'll have engineering take a look.  There are several dependencies installed in the background to support Apple Music, so depending on location and internet speed time varies, but typically all the dependencies are installed before you complete the login and attempt to play audio. We do have a button in the properties page that can force it if things aren't working properly for some reason, but you want to wait at least 10 minutes first and then only push that button once as multiple presses can cause issues.

Yikes I hope this isn't too tricky to get working...like Apple TV IP homekit-based driver...can't tell you how many hours I've spent with clients trying to get that thing working as expected.

16 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Yikes I hope this isn't too tricky to get working...like Apple TV IP homekit-based driver...can't tell you how many hours I've spent with clients trying to get that thing working as expected.

It shouldn't be.   But this was seen in the beta

1 minute ago, tmj4 said:

Having to trigger flatpak install/config manually in a driver already says a lot. Still excited to use this...still not able to. Will DM you @Darin, PM C4 CX Platform

This is primarily a release day issue as systems will get all required dependencies, except for the DRM automatically with their weekly component update checks or in the regular update process from 3.x to 3.4.2.. Today, there are 3-4 dependencies that a system is attempting to install and that can take longer in some cases.

6 minutes ago, slim42dog said:

So am I hosed with a CA10, and the rest being EA5s and 3s and 1s?   Frustrating. 

Yes, it requires that you have a Core Lite/1/3/5 or Triad SA-1 to handle the DRM.  The chipset on the CA-10 and EA controllers don't meet the requirements needed to support it, so only the newer lines have support unfortunately.  You can get away with only adding a single Core Lite to your system though or just upgrade one our your EA1 or EA3 devices to a Core series.

3 minutes ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

Glad to hear it is working for you now, it sounds like it was the issue I mentioned above.

Agreed. I waited about 15 minutes after controller reboot. Logged out and back in, triggered flatpak, and then it was finally working. Some really weird behavior on navigators/app prior to it working too.

Funny that I've been fighting getting two flatpak applications in the last week to communicate to each other (inherently design limitation of flatpak) and was getting fed up with it. Told someone yesterday I would be better off if I don't have to see or hear the word flatpak for another 6 months. Then today...

2 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

Agreed. I waited about 15 minutes after controller reboot. Logged out and back in, triggered flatpak, and then it was finally working. Some really weird behavior on navigators/app prior to it working too.

Funny that I've been fighting getting two flatpak applications in the last week to communicate to each other (inherently design limitation of flatpak) and was getting fed up with it. Told someone yesterday I would be better off if I don't have to see or hear the word flatpak for another 6 months. Then today...

Yes, we believe we have a solution for that exact flatpak limitation in the next OS release, but we didn't want to hold Apple Music back for another 3-6 months just to avoid a couple minor issues that shouldn't pop-up under normal installation after today, but we also provided the button in the driver to work around the problem if it was ever run into. 

40 minutes ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

..... Apple doesn't even require that you log into 6 different account all 6 drivers could be logged into the same account and Apple will share those 6 licenses between all family users.

So are you saying....
Since Apple Family plan allows up to 6 users.
If Mom, Dad, Sue and Bob are currently setup as the users.
We can use Dad's login 3 times in Control4? We don't need to 'fake" 2 more family members to have 3 drivers, they can all use the same login?

@RAV Per the installation guide, which seems to be a bit different than what @Darin, PM C4 CX Platform is saying:

Each Apple Music driver in the project can receive only one stream at a time. This stream can be sent to multiple rooms through a Control4 or Triad multi-room audio system.

Multiple independent drivers must be installed for additional streams. Family subscriptions allow up to six users to stream to a unique Apple Music driver instance.

Pro Tip: Name each Apple Music driver instance after the account name to avoid playback issues. Apple Music does not provide user information to the driver.

There is no limit to the number of drivers per project, but only one stream per driver is allowed at a time.
How does it handle account conflicts?
If a driver is logged into an Apple Music account while the same account is streaming outside the Control4 system, the stream with the most recent interaction remains playing and the other streams stop.

If there is a conflict, the user receives a notice on the user interface. There is no audio message.

Just now, htjunkie said:

I have a project with CA10 running as Director, all other devices are EA5, EA1's.  Do I still need to add a Core controller just to handle DRM?

believe that was asked and answered above...(yes)

13 minutes ago, RAV said:

So are you saying....
Since Apple Family plan allows up to 6 users.
If Mom, Dad, Sue and Bob are currently setup as the users.
We can use Dad's login 3 times in Control4? We don't need to 'fake" 2 more family members to have 3 drivers, they can all use the same login?

Yes, this is how it works. This isn't in our control, but it is how Apple is handling Family plan accounts/stream licenses.

Our officially guide is one driver per account/stream since Apple could change the way this works at some point, but for now you can get away with it.

11 minutes ago, htjunkie said:

I have a project with CA10 running as Director, all other devices are EA5, EA1's.  Do I still need to add a Core controller just to handle DRM?

Yes