C4 Forums | Control4

C4-EA1-1-V2 customer owned device need to test it at my office

I am new to C4 having agreed to take this piece of kit away for testing. The previous installer is no longer contactable and my customer is stuck with a device that works in some respects like the lighting but doesn't seem to allow any operating of the sky q tv box past being able to watch it live 

I have connected the HDMI output and powered it on and it shows a Control 4 logo then disappears to a blank screen, looking at some YouTube videos it may be that it's not been programmed to use a GUI? 

I have connected the device to my network and it has an IP address 192.168.1.245 

When I connected to the webserver it gives me the following, I would like to look at the settings in the WIndows software called Composer but have no idea how I can get that downloaded as it asks me to log in without an option to create an account 

Control4 Open Source Software Notice

Control4 products may contain open source software listed below. You may download the complete source code thereof free of charge from Control4 at http://www.control4.com/opensource. Please be aware that the open source software is subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable open source licenses which are provided to you. Refer to the individual source packages for copyright and license details, exceptions or alternate licensing of the open source packages.

View the Open Source Licenses.

This product uses software developed by Spread Concepts LLC for use in the Spread toolkit. For more information about Spread, see http://www.spread.org

Copyright 2024 Control4 Corporation, All Rights Reserved

control4 is meant to be setup and installed by qualified professional dealers own. If you do not work with one then you will not have access to the software to make any changes to the devices that it can control. As a home owner you can get composer home and you get do some basic trouble shooting and configuration of drivers that are setup for it. All automations and programming you have full access to with home and you can make just about any changes that you want to a system that has all the devices fully integrated. it sounds like you may be doing this for a friend or something similar. It would be best for the owner to contact a dealer so that they can get it setup for them. If it is yours you'll want to contact a dealer and discuss options getting them setup. You can also contract remote dealers like myself and others here to help you configure it. It is a requirement for you have to have decent av background so you can trouble shoot and setup the system for the remote dealer. if you don't know how to do that i would encourage again that you get a local dealer for the best results.

3 minutes ago, itskltd said:

I have 25 years experience IT and Security so I have more than enough ability to learn

But what you don’t have is the software or business relationship to get the software.

I fully believe you can learn it; but unless you can convince control4 to make you a pro installer and do a initial multi-thousand pound order, you won’t be able to get the software

Not controlling the Sky Satellite, is either an IR emitter not properly placed on the Sky box.
or the IP address of the new Sky box doesn't match the IP of the old one.

Control4 operates sources with either memorized IR commands or IP commands (don't think Sky does serial, I'm on the other side of the pond).
Since everything else worked, put it back and contact a dealer (a couple members here offer billable remote services) to address the issue.

59 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

control4 is meant to be setup and installed by qualified professional dealers own. If you do not work with one then you will not have access to the software to make any changes to the devices that it can control. As a home owner you can get composer home and you get do some basic trouble shooting and configuration of drivers that are setup for it. All automations and programming you have full access to with home and you can make just about any changes that you want to a system that has all the devices fully integrated. it sounds like you may be doing this for a friend or something similar. It would be best for the owner to contact a dealer so that they can get it setup for them. If it is yours you'll want to contact a dealer and discuss options getting them setup. You can also contract remote dealers like myself and others here to help you configure it. It is a requirement for you have to have decent av background so you can trouble shoot and setup the system for the remote dealer. if you don't know how to do that i would encourage again that you get a local dealer for the best results.

It is my largest customer, who is worth approx £30M and owns 9 businesses that I support. So nothing is too much trouble for me to assist as I do most of my work for just him. I appreciate the feedback, I have a point of contact who is a C4 dealer and I will arrange for one of his employees to visit. I am interested in looking at the configuration of the device as there are several in his home. I have a week before I need to revisit so I am weighing up my options. If you happen to know where I can download the composer home please put the link up on here please, I just want to see what options are there so I can screenshot it for my C4 dealer who is a friend and lives in the same village as me

14 minutes ago, RAV said:

Not controlling the Sky Satellite, is either an IR emitter not properly placed on the Sky box.

Control4 operates sources with either memorized IR commands or IP commands (don't think Sky does serial, I'm on the other side of the pond).
Since everything else worked, put it back and contact a dealer (a couple members here offer billable remote services) to address the issue.

Thank you the issue has arisen since changing the faulty BT router to a Draytek router so this makes sense and I have asked someone I know who is a C4 dealer to take it over

15 minutes ago, RAV said:

Thank you the issue has arisen since changing the faulty BT router to a Draytek router so this makes sense and I have asked someone I know who is a C4 dealer to take it over

The home owner should have a login to the customer.control4.com portal. (same as they use to login to the Control4 app)
If they don't remember the password, there's an I forgot link as long as the email is known.
Logging in there, they can choose/change their Control4 dealer for remote support.
If they had paid for Composer HE previously, there will be a link there for you to download it. (you'll need their login credentials to use the software)
If not, the newly chosen Control4 dealer can add Composer Home Edition to the account; suggested retail $200 US.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.