C4 Forums | Control4

Need battery operated temp sensor for wine cellar

Hi all,

what’s my best option for a battery operated temp sensor that integrates with c4? I just want to be able to read temp from my wine cellar and trigger notifications/monitor temp remotely from the c4 app (no need to actually control the wine cooler). I don’t have access to power so it needs to be battery operated. 

thanks!

On 6/22/2024 at 6:46 PM, Cyknight said:

Well there is the Control4 battery powered wireless contact sensor that does temp and humidity. Just a general thought.

Just to confirm, is this the one you’re talking about? Thanks!

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/wireless-contact-sensor/data-sheet/english/latest//wireless-contact-sensor-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

Control4 Native
https://www.control4.com/docs/product/z2c/data-sheet/english/latest//z2c-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

Axxess within a Motion Detector (if it adds anything for you)
https://www.axxind.com/product/wireless-motion-sensor/

Third Party Driver
Shelly Uni with a temperature probe if you had an outlet or low voltage available. (probe can be extended to where you do have power to put the Uni)
Shelly H&T wifi as mentioned

Is there a similar wireless thermostat you can use for liquid?  I would like to be able to monitor my pool temp in C4. But I don't want to have to run a wire.

5 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Is there a similar wireless thermostat you can use for liquid?  I would like to be able to monitor my pool temp in C4. But I don't want to have to run a wire.

I'm not aware of any temp sensor that wouldn't use a probe that can communicate wireless (be it wifi, zigbee or zwave)

For hot-tubs we usually just tie a probe to the return line, tweak temp reading and it's fairly accurate, and especially for alerts for too high/low. To be very accurate you'd likely have to plumb it into the line itself.

9 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I'm not aware of any temp sensor that wouldn't use a probe that can communicate wireless (be it wifi, zigbee or zwave)

For hot-tubs we usually just tie a probe to the return line, tweak temp reading and it's fairly accurate, and especially for alerts for too high/low. To be very accurate you'd likely have to plumb it into the line itself.

So you're saying that any device, including the Shelly linked to, can use an external probe?  The Specs area of the Shelly doesn't mention anything about a probe - what kind of probe would you use.

I had been trying to use some DS18B20 probes with a Tasmota device for my hot tub, but I haven't got it to work reliably.  I would do the same thing for the pool and somehow try to hide the cable.  But for some reason the device stops seeing the probe after a while.  I was fine with just draping the probe over the tub so that it sits a few inches in the water.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

So you're saying that any device, including the Shelly linked to, can use an external probe?  The Specs area of the Shelly doesn't mention anything about a probe - what kind of probe would you use.

I had been trying to use some DS18B20 probes with a Tasmota device for my hot tub, but I haven't got it to work reliably.  I would do the same thing for the pool and somehow try to hide the cable.  But for some reason the device stops seeing the probe after a while.  I was fine with just draping the probe over the tub so that it sits a few inches in the water.

Shelly Uni or Plus Add On will work with the probe you have. (I use Chowmainsoft driver)

As mentioned wrapping against a water line or such works surprisingly well.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Well not ANY device, and I can't speak for the shelly as such, but we use the C4 contact sensor for this all the time with zero issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Just circling back on this - if I add a C4 wireless contact sensor here, will I be able to configure so that I can view temp readings via the app/navigator (similar to a thermostat) or will I be more limited to triggering events (such as notifications) based on temp readings?

4 hours ago, Jobu604 said:

Just circling back on this - if I add a C4 wireless contact sensor here, will I be able to configure so that I can view temp readings via the app/navigator (similar to a thermostat) or will I be more limited to triggering events (such as notifications) based on temp readings?

I am late to the game, but I have an Axxess Sensor in one of 2 wine fridges and I can see the temp in the Navigator just like I could see the T-stat temp in my bedroom or kitchen.  I believe I have an old Card Access/C4 sensor in my other fridge and it doesn't have temp capabilities.

8 hours ago, Jobu604 said:

Yes via the native temperature display driver. The driver allows connecting to any Z2IO or Z2C device driver to display the temperature

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I believe I have an old Card Access/C4 sensor in my other fridge and it doesn't have temp capabilities

The old drivers for card access don't have the ability to link to the temp display driver - not sure if you could ID those with the newer c4 contact sensor driver?, never tried.

Axxess uses it's own display driver, and I could swear there used to be a driver ( by @Cinegration ?) that could do axxess and card access as well but it's literally been years.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:22 PM, BY96 said:

This.  I have a couple of Shelly H&T Gen 3's and they have been working well.

https://www.shelly.com/en/products/shop/shelly-h-and-t-gen3-matte-black/sht-g3-w

On 7/12/2024 at 5:39 PM, Cyknight said:

Yes via the native temperature display driver. The driver allows connecting to any Z2IO or Z2C device driver to display the temperature

The old drivers for card access don't have the ability to link to the temp display driver - not sure if you could ID those with the newer c4 contact sensor driver?, never tried.

Axxess uses it's own display driver, and I could swear there used to be a driver ( by @Cinegration ?) that could do axxess and card access as well but it's literally been years.

Our Temperature Agent should be able to do the trick: https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/climate-fan-fireplace/temperature-agent/

Sinope makes a great C4 battery powered water sensor that does temperature. Native zigbee, free driver in Director. Temperature shows on Navigator. Long battery life with low battery alert available for programming. 

• 2 weeks later...
This.  I have a couple of Shelly H&T Gen 3's and they have been working well.
https://www.shelly.com/en/products/shop/shelly-h-and-t-gen3-matte-black/sht-g3-w

Same. 9 of them setup around the house. Really great stuff. Been using it to test humidity in bathrooms as a way to proxy that the shower is running to control bathroom exhaust fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk