C4 Forums | Control4

Programming Shades Based On Sun Exposure

I would like to create some programming so the blinds open and/or close based on the current sun exposure hitting different elevations (north, east, south, west) of the house.

For example, I would like the shades on the west side of my house to close throughout the day as the sun hits that location.

I have the Open Weather agent (not sure if that helps).

Does anyone have suggestions of the best way to approach this?

28 minutes ago, zaphod said:

That seems to be based off of sun position based on time of day and year.  It doesn't seem to take current weather conditions into account.

Would probably require additional programming lines tied to open weather.  For example, if 95% cloud coverage STOP?

• 4 weeks later...

I use and love the sunposition driver.  You need to “survey” each window (or exterior plane of your home) to determine the azimuth and altitude of where the sun needs to be as it just enters and exits the position where it would be shining directly through each window.  Then you need to add programming to actually do stuff.  In the programming, you can use other sensor values / logic to account for weather/illumination.  For example, I only close the blinds if solar radiation (proxy for cloud cover) is above certain levels (pulled from Tempest driver) and temp forecast (also pulled from Tempest, but could be anything) is above a certain level.   A bit cumbersome, but very workable.

In my case, every time sun position changes (updates every 10 seconds IIRC), I check, for each shade I control, if the sun has just moved in or out of position to shine directly in.  I track state in variables “Sun_SunShingingIn[XYZ]Window?”  Then I trigger off state change in that variable to decide what to do.  If conditions are met, I move the shade and then track THAT in another variable “Sun_[XYZ]ShadeClosedToBlockSun?”  The idea here is that if someone has previously manually closed a shade, I don’t want to open it automatically just because sun moves, etc.