C4 Forums | Control4

Backend 3 Way Lighting

IBZICON

Question

I’m sure this has been asked before, as my electrician told me that my 3 way switches were backend wired by the original electrician when the house was built.  I’m trying to install a KD-120 and a KA, any suggestions how this should be wired before I reschedule the electrician? Also, a 3 way backend wired SW-120277 with a KA. 

5 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Matt Lowe said:

you need to get an electrician familiar with control4. if they mess it up they will damage the product.

Issue is the local C4 dealers don’t want to be bothered with a few switches, as they are chasing the $20 million new construction build on Kiawah Island and booked months out.  Programing is not the issue, just the wiring as I would rather have a licensed electrician.  Are C4 dealers required to be licensed for the electrical work, such as installing a security system requires a state license in SC?

22 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

Are C4 dealers required to be licensed for the electrical work, such as installing a security system requires a state license in SC?

Licensing varies greatly by state.

To physically touch the wiring, yes they need to be licensed for that category.
To spec or sell, no they do not. Just as an architect or lighting designer isn't an electrician, (and for that matter too many electricians think they're lighting designers because they install the devices).

Not sure what you mean by backend wired?

Typically feed is at one switch location, load at the other, and you need to read the installation instructions and understand how to pass either the load or feed so both are at the same side for the KD/SW etc, and then how to use the remaining wiring for the KA for the other.

If an electrician is confused, find a different electrician. It's not hard, but you do need to use your brain sometimes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.