C4 Forums | Control4

Connecting a Samsung One Connect to a Control4 Receptacle Outlet Switch

17 hours ago, RAV said:

Why?
For occasional reboot, sure.
For vacation/vampire, sure.
For control issue, the serial driver is often a viable solution.

@RAV Thanks for your reply.

Even though I control the TV through RS232 (Serial) using a Core 1 controller, If I completely turn off the TV (without the Art Mode), It won't turn on remotely.
But, after turning it on manually, I'm able to control the TV perfectly.
Therefore, through Control4, if I'm turning it off, it should return to Art Mode, for me to control the TV without any issue.
But at night, I want to completely cut off the Art Mode picture.

Therefore, I need a way of completely turning off the TV.

Is the receptacle outlet safe to connect a TV?

35 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

I wouldn't.

For the same reasons as I wouldn't do it with any smart device. If you turn it off during a firmware upgrade or whilst it's committing data, you might corrupt something and have half written data.

@Andrew luecke I Understand.

But is the receptacle outlet switch designed only to handle lighting loads ? Are TVs safe to connect ?

5 hours ago, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

@RAV Thanks for your reply.

Even though I control the TV through RS232 (Serial) using a Core 1 controller, If I completely turn off the TV (without the Art Mode), It won't turn on remotely.
But, after turning it on manually, I'm able to control the TV perfectly.

Who's driver? I'm using Jesse's and that hasn't been my experience.

tv_Samsung_UN Series LED Art.c4i

1 hour ago, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

But is the receptacle outlet switch designed only to handle lighting loads

The outlet switch is not specifically for lighting, and is rated to 1/2 HP loads as well. Is it safe to cut power to a TV? In and of itself, yes - though it should be limited in how often it's done, and as pointed out, firmware updates and such can be a problem (so be sure to no have auto update on at the very least.

All in all, it sounds more like you need to look into getting the actual problem fixed (likely the driver) not do this 'hard' of a work around for this issue.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:54 PM, Cyknight said:

The outlet switch is not specifically for lighting, and is rated to 1/2 HP loads as well. Is it safe to cut power to a TV? In and of itself, yes - though it should be limited in how often it's done, and as pointed out, firmware updates and such can be a problem (so be sure to no have auto update on at the very least.

All in all, it sounds more like you need to look into getting the actual problem fixed (likely the driver) not do this 'hard' of a work around for this issue.

@Cyknight
Thanks for your valuable info !

On 6/18/2024 at 10:03 PM, dblessing said:

There was a thread a while back about switching from SDDP to IP address fixing a lot of Samsung control issues. I have a frame tv that now works perfectly with IP control. 

@dblessing
Tried this so many times, but the TV's IP changes from time to time, and I lose the control often...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.