C4 Forums | Control4

Eero is garbage, what to use for network

Well I've pretty much had it with Eero. When it works it's fine but lord forbid you have a power outage.  You will spend at least 30 minutes trying to get network back online.  Try as you might it doesn't appear that you are able to get network back online if you're not at home as all Eero devices apparently need a power cycling.  I've had Unifi previously and I found that was way too unstable.

I'm considering Araknis but wanting some opinions on best network equipment for home.

49 minutes ago, c4toys said:

Hmmm! could be human error

Human error?  What's that supposed to mean?  The Eero will not auto reconnect after an outage.  I've been on the phone with Eero tonight for 2 hours.  How is that human error?!?!  Shit equipment is more likely the problem since nothing has changed in 2 years but every time there is a power interuption such as when my electrician has done some wiring for basement finish the Eeros all go offline and don't come back fully for at least 30 minutes every time.

Honestly.. In my opinion I recommend against both Eero and Orbi.

Both of these two products have a hugely disproportionate impact on our support workload for anything that uses broadcast UDP which some products use (and whilst I've seen evidence eero will work but seemingly not in all cases, I've seen no evidence Orbi in particular has ever  fixed the issues which put them on the Do Not Use Networking list when it existed).  Google mesh we've seen a few too, but there isn't enough info there (it may be unrelated).

That being said, with Unifi, you definitely shouldn't be getting connection stability issues. But as Mitch has mentioned, if you have the money Ruckus/Access networks is also a good option (if you're ok with the price point).

If you are using any product though, i recommend running a cable (its very rare that there isn't some kind of way to run them). Because it makes a huge difference

Not a fan either.
But depending on your setup, you can try a suggested router and put the Eero into AP only mode and see how you do as a stepping stone.

7 hours ago, RAV said:

Not a fan either.
But depending on your setup, you can try a suggested router and put the Eero into AP only mode and see how you do as a stepping stone.

I second this idea.  

My mom suffered from wifi signal issues for years, and it wasn't possible to run cat6 cables in her condo.  After trying and failing with various options, I finally put in a Mikrotik router combined with Eero's in AP mode.  Since then, I think I've had one, maybe two, network outage(s) in 3 years, and her complaints about wifi signal are a thing of the past.  Her (small) Control4 installation has also worked fine under this setup.

I’ve had zero issues with 5 Eero’s (3 PoE 6 & 2 Pro 6e) since March 2023 (each is hardwired, no mesh) as I like that the system performs auto firmware updates unlike the dealer installed Luxal system that was never firmware updated.  Like that current Alexa’s can work as a WiFi mesh with the Eero’s.  Lots of Ruckus mentions, how well does Ruckus play with Unifi? Does Ruckus allow customer programing also including firmware updates, or is this deal required?  Reason I ask is once Apple releases latter this fall iPhones that have WiFi 7, then it will be time to update WAP’s to WiFi 7. 

58 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

I’ve had zero issues with 5 Eero’s (3 PoE 6 & 2 Pro 6e) since March 2023 (each is hardwired, no mesh) as I like that the system performs auto firmware updates unlike the dealer installed Luxal system that was never firmware updated.  Like that current Alexa’s can work as a WiFi mesh with the Eero’s.  Lots of Ruckus mentions, how well does Ruckus play with Unifi? Does Ruckus allow customer programing also including firmware updates, or is this deal required?  Reason I ask is once Apple releases latter this fall iPhones that have WiFi 7, then it will be time to update WAP’s to WiFi 7. 

Ruckus can be customer managed. It doesn't do auto updates and I wouldn't recommend it. It works fine w unifi...that's just tcp ip

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.