C4 Forums | Control4

C4 lags after Unifi update

DLite

Question

On Sunday, I replaced my Unifi USG router with a UXG-Max. As part of that process, I updated all my Unifi gear — switches, APs, and Cloud Keys — to the latest firmware.  None of the other network settings were changed.

It may be a coincidence but since then I have been experiencing random periods of non-responsiveness from Control4. Every so often, for about 5-10 seconds, navigators (iOS apps and Zigbee remotes) do not seem to control devices or respond. (I _think_ the problem is specific to the navigators.)

I have restarted my controller, and I removed the most recently installed driver (installed about a week ago), but that did not resolve it.

Has anyone else upgraded to latest Unifi firmware? Or maybe it is the new router?

thanks

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

/24 is 255 addresses. Something is wrong somewhere...

I'm not a unifi guy so can't really help 

Even after 10 years with their equipment, it is clear I am not a Unifi guy either 🤦‍♂️, but something does seem off here.

1 minute ago, Popolou said:

It's just the quirkiness of how Unifi display it. The DHCP scope is still within the subnet but limited to the upper 79 addresses.

So, in other words, the settings are correct?

2 hours ago, DLite said:

Wow, I am so confused. It does say /24, but then it doesn't give that corresponding IP range.  See the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 6.57.22 AM.png

This looks completely normal.... Just like mine is set up but I use larger DHCP range than you have chosen.

19 hours ago, DLite said:

I left out one important detail. The address reservation is outside the DHCP range, so a conflicting assignment is not possible.

That doesn't ELIMINATE the possibility. IF there's another device on static that you reserved an IP on, there's still a confict.

I'd change the reserved address of the TScreens and main controller, reboot, scan network. Also you're using 192.168.0.xxx - did you ensure your ISP modem/router isn't using the same range?

3 hours ago, DLite said:

Wow, I am so confused. It does say /24, but then it doesn't give that corresponding IP range.  See the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 6.57.22 AM.png

That’s because you set the DHCP range to .176-.254, do your router won’t give out the full range. This is not what’s fully routinely, this is stating what DHCP addresses your UniFi router is dishing out. You can of course use statics between .5-.175 for instance.

26 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

That’s because you set the DHCP range to .176-.254, do your router won’t give out the full range. This is not what’s fully routinely, this is stating what DHCP addresses your UniFi router is dishing out. You can of course use statics between .5-.175 for instance.

To be honest, this issue has become confusing.  I have about 100 devices with address reservations in the 2-175 range and all are working normally (except for the C4 lag).  I posted my settings on the Ubiquiti board and was told that my settings are consistent with what I want to achieve.  Someone else on the Ubiquiti board confirmed that their settings show up the same way, and they also have address reservations below the DHCP range, etc.  I believe @Popolou made the same point above.  

51 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

That doesn't ELIMINATE the possibility. IF there's another device on static that you reserved an IP on, there's still a confict.

I'd change the reserved address of the TScreens and main controller, reboot, scan network. Also you're using 192.168.0.xxx - did you ensure your ISP modem/router isn't using the same range?

Yes, you are absolutely correct, and I misunderstood the terminology the first time @msgreenf raised the issue.  To be clear, the only devices with static addresses on my network are the Unifi network devices -- the CloudKey, the APs, and the switches.  I have confirmed there is no duplication of their addresses with either the DHCP range or any of the fixed DHCP reservations in the system.  My ISP modem is using 192.168.100.  

Nonetheless, I'm happy to give new address reservations a shot.  To be clear, I would create new DHCP reservations for all touch screens and just the primary controller?  And then, I reboot all the C4 hardware?  Finally, sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure I understand what "scan network" means.  

Thanks to all!

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

This looks completely normal.... Just like mine is set up but I use larger DHCP range than you have chosen.

Thanks, that helps narrow things down a bit.

30 minutes ago, DLite said:

To be clear, I would create new DHCP reservations for all touch screens and just the primary controller?

30 minutes ago, DLite said:

And then, I reboot all the C4 hardware?

Correct. Reboot isn't a 'hard' requirement, just speeds up the process on how quickly the devices grab their new IP (or they'll wait until the lease time is up).

Note that a main controller IP change can case the C4 app to not connect (especially on devices not used often) - you can edit the settings in the app to change the ip, or sometimes it's easier to just delete app and reload (especially if you only have one c4 property you're using)

20 hours ago, DLite said:

Thanks, that helps narrow things down a bit.

I double checked mine, and they look exactly as you displayed too (just different address space).

Just a thought, based on “wording”…..  I personally have all my C4 use dedicated addresses. This way there’s no reason to rely on the DHCP requests. Then I go into UniFi and make them a fixed address (so UniFi knows). At the same time they are all outside of the range my DHCP gives out too.

if your doing all this, time to do into trouble shooting mode if your still getting delays on the c4 gear.

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

I double checked mine, and they look exactly as you displayed too (just different address space).

Just a thought, based on “wording”…..  I personally have all my C4 use dedicated addresses. This way there’s no reason to rely on the DHCP requests. Then I go into UniFi and make them a fixed address (so UniFi knows). At the same time they are all outside of the range my DHCP gives out too.

if your doing all this, time to do into trouble shooting mode if your still getting delays on the c4 gear.

Thanks for investigating, @ekohn00.  It turns out that my problem was the UXG-Max router.  It is not clear whether it was a defective unit or just buggy firmware for a recently released product, so I'd be curious to know if anyone else has successfully deployed the UXG-Max so far.

After tearing my hair out for several days, I finally just popped my trusty old USG router back into the network and removed the UXG-Max yesterday afternoon.  After doing so, I could no longer reproduce the problem, and I've had no issues since then (knocks wood). My fingers are crossed that this holds up.

Notably, the USG is EOL, so its firmware is 18 months old.  Thus, it's not totally clear whether my problem was an idiosyncratic hardware failure with that particular UXG-Max unit or a more general issue with the latest UXG-Max router firmware.  I plan to return the unit anyway, but I am likely to try again in a few months with another unit after the firmware (hopefully) matures.

Thanks all for the advice and insight!

3 hours ago, DLite said:

Thanks for investigating, @ekohn00.  It turns out that my problem was the UXG-Max router.  It is not clear whether it was a defective unit or just buggy firmware for a recently released product, so I'd be curious to know if anyone else has successfully deployed the UXG-Max so far.

After tearing my hair out for several days, I finally just popped my trusty old USG router back into the network and removed the UXG-Max yesterday afternoon.  After doing so, I could no longer reproduce the problem, and I've had no issues since then (knocks wood). My fingers are crossed that this holds up.

Notably, the USG is EOL, so its firmware is 18 months old.  Thus, it's not totally clear whether my problem was an idiosyncratic hardware failure with that particular UXG-Max unit or a more general issue with the latest UXG-Max router firmware.  I plan to return the unit anyway, but I am likely to try again in a few months with another unit after the firmware (hopefully) matures.

Thanks all for the advice and insight!

Do a backup, then just start from scratch. No VLANs, nothing special and see if it works. I've run into problems when trying to simply upgrade from one unit to another, but then when i start from scratch all is well.

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Do a backup, then just start from scratch. No VLANs, nothing special and see if it works. I've run into problems when trying to simply upgrade from one unit to another, but then when i start from scratch all is well.

Good luck!

Thanks. Mine is a simple, flat network with threat management off. I am generally a pretty simple-minded guy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.