C4 Forums | Control4

C4 lags after Unifi update

DLite

Question

On Sunday, I replaced my Unifi USG router with a UXG-Max. As part of that process, I updated all my Unifi gear — switches, APs, and Cloud Keys — to the latest firmware.  None of the other network settings were changed.

It may be a coincidence but since then I have been experiencing random periods of non-responsiveness from Control4. Every so often, for about 5-10 seconds, navigators (iOS apps and Zigbee remotes) do not seem to control devices or respond. (I _think_ the problem is specific to the navigators.)

I have restarted my controller, and I removed the most recently installed driver (installed about a week ago), but that did not resolve it.

Has anyone else upgraded to latest Unifi firmware? Or maybe it is the new router?

thanks

6 hours ago, DLite said:

On Sunday, I replaced my Unifi USG router with a UXG-Max. As part of that process, I updated all my Unifi gear — switches, APs, and Cloud Keys — to the latest firmware.  None of the other network settings were changed.

It may be a coincidence but since then I have been experiencing random periods of non-responsiveness from Control4. Every so often, for about 5-10 seconds, navigators (iOS apps and Zigbee remotes) do not seem to control devices or respond. (I _think_ the problem is specific to the navigators.)

I have restarted my controller, and I removed the most recently installed driver (installed about a week ago), but that did not resolve it.

Has anyone else upgraded to latest Unifi firmware? Or maybe it is the new router?

thanks

Limited to wifi endpoints?

47 minutes ago, Popolou said:

Limited to wifi endpoints?

No, I am unable to control wired devices, including Roku and a McIntosh receiver. As another note, during this period of lag, I am able to control other devices on the network — e.g., I am able to pause music if I use the Roon (not Control4) app.

Eventually, all the C4 commands are executed at once. It seems like something is hammering the controller for a few seconds, but I am at a loss as to what has changed besides the router and Unifi firmware.

5 hours ago, enzeder said:

I have all unfi gear including a uxg and running latest firmwares (beta) and C4 is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.  Just out of curiosity, are you also running the new UXG-Max?  

Check the DHCP settings handed out to clients when you moved to the new router and check its logs to see if there are any indications what it could be. If it is network wide, i'd start at the common denominator and work back (ie the router). All the settings were copied over as they were before such as which DNS servers are being to forward LAN queries?

5 minutes ago, Popolou said:

Check the DHCP settings handed out to clients when you moved to the new router and check its logs to see if there are any indications what it could be. If it is network wide, i'd start at the common denominator and work back (ie the router). All the settings were copied over as they were before such as which DNS servers are being to forward LAN queries?

Thanks a lot.  All the DHCP settings and reservations appear to be unaffected. Those are controlled by my Unifi CloudKey, not the router itself, and they all look normal to me.  Also, I think the problem is isolated to C4, rather than network-wide.  I am able to access non-C4 network resources instantly during these periods of "downtime."  

Might there be relevant C4 log files to check as well? 

11 minutes ago, Popolou said:

Huh. Here's something interesting from the Unifi logs.  One of my wired C4 touch screens is showing 2 orders of magnitude more network traffic over the past 24 hours compared to all the other touch screens.  No idea what would cause that, but I am going to try switching that touch screen off.

8 minutes ago, DLite said:

Might there be relevant C4 log files to check as well? 

Yes, depending on what C4 hardware you have, the logs are shared out on SMB/CIFS so you can browse to the IP and open the logs folder.

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Does your controller use a static IP?

Yes. The Unifi controller reserves a fixed IP for the C4 controller.  The C4 controller itself is set to use DHCP, so the static addressing is handled on the network side. Does that answer your question? 

25 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

DHCP reservations and static IPs are not the same 

I left out one important detail. The address reservation is outside the DHCP range, so a conflicting assignment is not possible.  Sorry for the lack of clarity. Let me know if I’m still missing something here.

14 hours ago, DLite said:

I left out one important detail. The address reservation is outside the DHCP range, so a conflicting assignment is not possible.  Sorry for the lack of clarity. Let me know if I’m still missing something here.

you said fixed outside the DHCP range (all on the Unifi side)....  In the devices are you setting a static IP or DHCP?

I use fixed addresses on Unifi, but keep them within the DHCP range and on those devices use a static IP. This way either a static or DHCP reserved approach works for these devices and I don't have conflicts.

Being this is a new router, I'd just clear everything and redo the addressing part so there's no accidental conflicts.

21 hours ago, DLite said:

Huh. Here's something interesting from the Unifi logs.  One of my wired C4 touch screens is showing 2 orders of magnitude more network traffic over the past 24 hours compared to all the other touch screens.  No idea what would cause that, but I am going to try switching that touch screen off.

All network settings confirmed as unchanged post-move? The only other unifi oddity i could think of resembling this is how they implemented storm control under the network profiles. I normally turn this off but if the switch (under L3 routing) or the router (through L2) is delaying/stopping the packets because it thinks there is a device flooding the network, this could have that same result.

1 hour ago, Popolou said:

All network settings confirmed as unchanged post-move? The only other unifi oddity i could think of resembling this is how they implemented storm control under the network profiles. I normally turn this off but if the switch (under L3 routing) or the router (through L2) is delaying/stopping the packets because it thinks there is a device flooding the network, this could have that same result.

I may not have looked closely enough at the network settings to confirm they remained the same after the router swap. I just noticed something that looks odd to me, but maybe I don’t understand something.

The way my network is supposed to be configured is as follows. My router is at 192.168.0.1.  All of my fixed IP addresses should be between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.175.  And, my DHCP range should be 192.168.0.255.  

I have confirmed that the Unifi network settings for my main VLAN correctly show the DHCP range as 192.168.0.176 to 192.168.0.255. However, it also shows the “IP Range” as 192.168.0.176 to 192.168.0.255.

Isn’t that “IP range” wrong?  Shouldn’t the IP range be 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255? My C4 Director and all my other resident devices live between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.175.  Could this “IP Range” setting be the problem or am I confused about how the settings should work?

thanks a lot

2 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

you said fixed outside the DHCP range (all on the Unifi side)....  In the devices are you setting a static IP or DHCP?

I use fixed addresses on Unifi, but keep them within the DHCP range and on those devices use a static IP. This way either a static or DHCP reserved approach works for these devices and I don't have conflicts.

Being this is a new router, I'd just clear everything and redo the addressing part so there's no accidental conflicts.

Interesting.  You can see my intended setup explained just above. This always worked fine for me, but I am wondering if something has gone awry. It may even be due to a Unifi OS update rather than the router swap itself.  On the Unifi boards, I often see the advice to reserve part of the IP range to be outside the DHCP range and to use that range for fixed IP addresses. However, maybe that is now screwing things up somehow.

21 minutes ago, DLite said:

I may not have looked closely enough at the network settings to confirm they remained the same after the router swap. I just noticed something that looks odd to me, but maybe I don’t understand something.

The way my network is supposed to be configured is as follows. My router is at 192.168.0.1.  All of my fixed IP addresses should be between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.175.  And, my DHCP range should be 192.168.0.255.  

I have confirmed that the Unifi network settings for my main VLAN correctly show the DHCP range as 192.168.0.176 to 192.168.0.255. However, it also shows the “IP Range” as 192.168.0.176 to 192.168.0.255.

Isn’t that “IP range” wrong?  Shouldn’t the IP range be 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255? My C4 Director and all my other resident devices live between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.175.  Could this “IP Range” setting be the problem or am I confused about how the settings should work?

thanks a lot

Best you take a look in case something defaulted there and it's the cause for the network connectivity.

The IP range is actually defined by the CIDR that you enter in the GatewayIP/Subnet field so if it is /24 then the subnet range is from .0 to .255. What does yours say?

8 minutes ago, Popolou said:

Best you take a look in case something defaulted there and it's the cause for the network connectivity.

The IP range is actually defined by the CIDR that you enter in the GatewayIP/Subnet field so if it is /24 then the subnet range is from .0 to .255. What does yours say?

Wow, I am so confused. It does say /24, but then it doesn't give that corresponding IP range.  See the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 6.57.22 AM.png

10 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Looks like you found the problem 

Agreed, but it is not yet obvious to me how to fix it.  The IP range seems to be auto-generated by the CIDR, which seems(?) both correct and inconsistent with the displayed IP range.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.