C4 Forums | Control4

Airquality Management with Control4

Hi all, its been a while since i wrote about solutions for Control4. Today i want to talk about how Control4 can enhance home air quality using two products we have drivers for (Sensibo Elements and Airthings).

In today's world, where indoor air quality can significantly impact health and well-being, monitoring and managing air quality in homes has become crucial. Sensibo Elements and Airthings are two innovative solutions that help homeowners achieve this goal. Leveraging these technologies with Control4 can further enhance air quality management, ensuring a healthier living environment.

By integrating Sensibo Elements and Airthings with Control4, an integrator can significantly enhance air quality management. Control4 can take predefined actions based on the data received from these monitors, ensuring optimal air quality without manual intervention.

Control4 can be programmed to activate ventilation systems or air purifiers when sensors detect poor air quality. For instance, if Sensibo Elements detects high levels of CO2 or VOCs, the system can automatically turn on the ventilation to improve air circulation. Similarly, when Airthings sensors identify elevated radon levels, the automation system can activate radon mitigation systems.

On top of this Control4 can send email and/or push notifications to homeowners when air quality parameters exceed safe levels. As an integrator you should also send the home owner recommended actions, such as opening windows or reducing the use of VOC-emitting products.

Additionally, though not part of the drivers, You can create schedules to notify home owners to perform regular maintenance of air purification devices, ensuring consistent air quality management.
SENSIBO ELEMENTS
Sensibo Elements is a smart air quality monitor designed to provide real-time data on various indoor air pollutants. It measures levels of carbon dioxide (CO2), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), particulate matter (PM2.5), temperature, and humidity. With its user-friendly app, homeowners can receive instant alerts and detailed reports on air quality, enabling timely interventions to maintain a healthy indoor environment.

AIRTHINGS
Airthings offers a range of devices that focus on comprehensive air quality management. Their products, such as the Airthings Wave Plus, measure radon, CO2, VOCs, temperature, humidity, and air pressure. The Airthings app provides detailed insights and trends, empowering users to understand and manage their indoor air quality effectively. With long-term monitoring capabilities, Airthings devices ensure that homeowners are always aware of any potential air quality issues.

image.thumb.png.264b729254b3b41985b5d58639b5264d.png

gallery03(2).thumb.png.b8595c7532587c656dee129259765120.png

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

I have been testing air things and I'm not sold. Their readings for Radon seems multiples higher than reality 

Really? Interesting I never questioned the reading at our vacation home it is high but that’s not unexpected given the region and no radon mitigation yet - that would be good if it’s wrong I’ll have to try another tester to compare

2 hours ago, ajd123 said:

1) So your driver allows for integration of the Airthings hardware into C4?

https://www.airthings.com/en/view-plus

2) Is there any difference between the WavePlus and ViewPlus other than the visual display?

3) Is an Airthings Hub required in addition to the WavePlus or ViewPlus?

Answers below

1) So your driver allows for integration of the Airthings hardware into C4?

Yes the driver allows for integration of the following models

• View Plus
  • Wave Mini
  • Wave Radon

2) Is there any difference between the WavePlus and ViewPlus other than the visual display?

You can find out more information about the specific models via the products website

3) Is an Airthings Hub required in addition to the WavePlus or ViewPlus?

Bluetooth only models require Airthings SmartLink for communications to our driver.

If you require further assistance please reach out to our support desk via methods outlined in link below.

https://chowmain.software/for-integrators/technical-support

7 hours ago, Dueport said:

Really? Interesting I never questioned the reading at our vacation home it is high but that’s not unexpected given the region and no radon mitigation yet - that would be good if it’s wrong I’ll have to try another tester to compare

I am getting readings of 11 which is insane for Radon.  

21 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

based on what? have you professional tests done to compare?

Correct.  I had a kit that we left in the basement for 3 months than mailed it in.  The company was called RadoNova. 

This was in my last house, but if I recall correct, the results were within 10Bq/m3.

The Radon test from RadoNova came in at 17 Bq/m3 (with a tolerance of +/- 4 Bq/m3).  The Corentium had an average reading of around 25 Bq/m3.

"I am getting readings of 11 which is insane for Radon." If the measurement is Bq/m3 this is a very very low (good) reading.

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

no, in the US we measure pCi/L.  And you want it to be below 4

1 pCi/L is equal to 37 Bq/m3.

If your reading is 11, that would be 417 Bq/m3 and you would be in trouble.

Have you tested with any other devices or any professional send away kits?

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Is that just astronomical you can't trust it..

Have you had an outside source test?  It IS POSSIBLE to have levels that high.  The send away kits cost less than $20 including testing.  You might consider this.

Alternatively, you can move your Airthings to another location / house for a couple weeks to see if the reading drops down.

On 7/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, msgreenf said:

I have not yet but my builder is basically adamant that he has never seen levels like that before.

Those numbers do sound suspiciously high so it could be wrong. Definitely worth a professional test to compare. You may also try moving it to another area of the basement to see if it changes. Based on the readings at our vacation home I got a quote from a professional radon mitigation company and the guy commented that I located the tester too close to the basement wall which can throw the reading off. He said centrally located in the basement area away from walls is best fwtw. In my case we’re getting avg reading of 5-6 which I suspect is accurate but I’ll bring my other tester here to compare and may get a professional test too before investing in a mitigation system. At our primary residence we have a mitigation system and it has worked flawlessly for years keeps the level there about 1 so at least if you need to add a mitigation system they do seem to work to eliminate any danger. 

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Mine is about 3 feet from a wall. I will try moving it today 

Do you have the device located in a basement?  

if you’re still getting high readings, you can always take it to a friends house and leave it there for a couple days to see if the numbers change dramatically.