C4 Forums | Control4

Whistle Projects - SolarEdge Monitoring Driver

On 5/5/2024 at 1:56 PM, WhistleProjects said:

This is certainly something we can look into. It would be released as a different, universal driver though.

Hi,
My understanding was that u already use Modbus to pull the data - it seems u do not.

The GUI is looking really good. For the driver to work as a general UI at it need is a driver option to read other variabels for:
production (current)
total day
export
usage house
SoC
charge rate

then anyone could connect basically any solar system to your UI via a C4 modbus driver (there should be one, I havent tried it though)

58 minutes ago, blub said:

Hi,
My understanding was that u already use Modbus to pull the data - it seems u do not.

The GUI is looking really good. For the driver to work as a general UI at it need is a driver option to read other variabels for:
production (current)
total day
export
usage house
SoC
charge rate

then anyone could connect basically any solar system to your UI via a C4 modbus driver (there should be one, I havent tried it though)

There is a good Modbus driver out there. Originally developed by Yatun.  Now supported by HopSoft.  Available for sale on Driver Central.

i integrated a several SE inverter aswell by modbus.

i can say, that solaredge modbus is pain in the a**.
There are so many constesslations like multiple inverters or batterys which would shift the registers. its very complicated and took a lot of time to get good results.

your work in all honors. its nice to see but delivers at the moment it doenst deliver much benefit. 
if the data would be live you could switch consumers on/off if you have energy surplus

On 5/6/2024 at 9:25 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

There is a good Modbus driver out there. Originally developed by Yatun.  Now supported by HopSoft.  Available for sale on Driver Central.

I have that driver. It is aPITA to get it working correctly and I am in lack of a nice GUI - so without a nice GUI any more effort is worthless.

3 minutes ago, blub said:

I have that driver. It is aPITA to get it working correctly and I am in lack of a nice GUI - so without a nice GUI any more effort is worthless.

I’m not sure if you are using the newer HopSoft version or the older Yatun version?  The HopSoft one is much easier to use (in that it has an easy means of importing the Modbus map into the driver). I’m updating things again now that I have an easy way of updating the Modbus map!

in terms of GUI, the Janus BMS monitor (for graphing variables) and the bNet solutions bIcons driver (for showing single values on an experience button) give one a great front end! I probably graph (bar, stacked bar, line, timeline or pie) around 200 variables (half of which I read into C4 via Modbus).  Then the Custom Info driver by Barbini is very good for displaying string type info or a number of values in one place.

I use all 3 of the above for my GUI and am very happy with what I can display.  Took some work but I use the info daily.

@blub

You are correct in that we use the API not Modbus; hence the limitations in API calls.

That said, I don't think it will be much effort for us to adopt the current UI to a new driver that integrates with the Modbus driver - I just feel it's not the best approach developing a driver that is reliant on another driver.

I'd rather just build Modbus into the driver itself.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 10:24 AM, WhistleProjects said:

@blub

I'd rather just build Modbus into the driver itself.

understandable. I hope you consider that option, a ModBus Solar visulisation compatible with literally any inverter/system would be awesome

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.