C4 Forums | Control4

zappiti

daveva

I honestly wouldn't even recommend k-scape anymore.

Know that I LOVE my movie collection, and still intend to get my server up and running again (or rebuilt from scratch if I can't salvage it), but dedicated hardware media players are all disappearing one after the other: I'm not sure even k-scape can hang on for many more years (and the cost means you better get many years out of it).

I'll probably just stick to KODI (or pick your poison for software media player).

This is a link to the documentation from Zidoo about their Control4 driver. I am not sure, but there may be one driver that is available through C4 and one from Zidoo. I am pretty sure the Zidoo one is IP given the control it is showing. 

https://apidl.zidoo.tv/other/ZidooPlayer_en.pdf

Here is the link to the Zidoo C4 driver on Zidoo's website:

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/control4.html

Here is the driver from C4, which is also IP:

https://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?q=Zidoo

Wow--didn't realize Zappiti was on the verge of liquidation. Looks like there were red flags as far back as March but they said all was well and it was just a "brand" issue and the hardware and everything else would continue to be find. Guess it wasn't.

Really wish K-Scape would allow local media to be added to their system. Would buy it in a heartbeat--but then again, they don't support Dolby Vision ☹️

The world is pushing to streaming services - even bluray sales are down 20%........  So it's hard to see how these companies can maintain...

Plex has always been a great alternative and very flexible with platforms...  unfortunately, it needs a bit more hands-on than the kscape's of the world.

There are also a lot of add-ons from *arr apps to automate, so that's a major plus.

Over the past few years we have noticed decline in all media player sales EXCEPT for Kaleidescape.

We have noticed increases in our Android TV driver sale.

As such i would assume that the reasoning behind this is that the market is trending towards streaming servers rather than storage.

As such our energy will shift towards market demand.

Even myself at home.  I built the Kodi driver for myself but tend to just watch netflix, disney+, prime, etc due to convenience.

44 minutes ago, daveva said:

I have the chowmain driver for Zappiti and I love it. I hate to see this go by the wayside it's so convenient. Hoping chowmain will make a driver for the zedoo. kaleidoscape is just way out of my price range.

The Chowmain driver was the sole reason I went with Zappiti over Zidoo 11 months ago. I had been using an HTPC with MadVR, but when I bought a Lumagen, I decided the hassle of using an HTPC (especially with C4) was not worth it, hence the Zappiti. While I am sure the Zidoo drive for C4 will get the job done, I am sad to not use the Chowmain one. 

4 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Speaking of Android TV driver, can you make it so its compatible with TCL Google TVs?  with power on/off/volume controls!  thanks Alan.

Unfortunately we cannot.

If you want to control a TV or projector that does not have a driver you can go down the CEC route using the HDANYWHERE uControl Zone Processor 5 hardware with our driver.  Just plug into any unused HDMI port and as long as CEC control is enabled our driver will provide control.

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-hdanywhere-ucontrol-zone-processor

16 hours ago, alanchow said:

is that the market is trending towards streaming servers rather than storage

I would add that while storage and stored movies is still a thing, it's (back?) to the DIY/enthusiast variety primarily, with SOFTWARE media players vs hardware and a more 'complex' way of creating the files (ie no drop in tray and let a prebuild system do it)

When I rebuild/build a new server for all my movies (I have thousands of discs including a tonne of movies just not available on streaming services - at least not without signing up for 100's of dollars a month worth of streaming services, not to mention they aren't edited for time, or any form of change by director -i'm looking at you George Lucas- or "censorship" of any kind) I will likely use KODI on dedicated android tv boxes again (dedicated meaning, they are JUST there to run KODI, nothing else)

21 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

The world is pushing to streaming services - even bluray sales are down 20%........  So it's hard to see how these companies can maintain...

Plex has always been a great alternative and very flexible with platforms...  unfortunately, it needs a bit more hands-on than the kscape's of the world.

There are also a lot of add-ons from *arr apps to automate, so that's a major plus.

Yep, this is my setup Plex on Synology NAS, 40TB, everything is automated, coupled with Lunasea, I’ve everything I want

IMG_4246.jpeg

On 10/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, paulromi said:

Zidoo works well with control 4.  It has Serial and IR controls and only Toggle Power commands.  But you have a workaround using WOL to start it up 

I started a new thread about the C4 driver for Zidoo. Would love your input. 

I have been using Kodi for local playback for 10+ years on many different platforms; Nuc, (Rpi 1,2,3,4) ODROID C2, ODROID-N2+.  The ODROID N2+ w/2gigRam has been rock solid. Highly recommend with Alan's Kodi lite Driver. Also have a few old Dune Smart H1's that I use for DVD playback, I find the video processing to look great for DVD's.

12 hours ago, Alt said:

I have been using Kodi for local playback for 10+ years on many different platforms; Nuc, (Rpi 1,2,3,4) ODROID C2, ODROID-N2+.  The ODROID N2+ w/2gigRam has been rock solid. Highly recommend with Alan's Kodi lite Driver. Also have a few old Dune Smart H1's that I use for DVD playback, I find the video processing to look great for DVD's.

What does the Lite driver provide vs the Full Kodi driver? In another question what I’ll be missing if I don’t use the Full driver?

On 10/2/2023 at 6:53 PM, ekohn00 said:

100%. As fiber becomes more ubiquitous, and enterprise data transfer and storage costs decline, we'll see streaming services increase their bitrates to match or exceed what's capable with UHD Blu Rays. Speaking of, Sony is launching its high-bitrate (80Mbps) streaming service today, and I expect to hear updates from other services in the near future.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/5/23904557/sony-pictures-core-now-available-ps5-ps4-ps-plus

People want convenience and imo any media storage/server except for Kaleidescape is a pain in the rear for the vast majority of people

Along with ease of use with Kaleidescape comes vastly superior audio(better picture as well) compared to what streaming offers so anyone that wants “easy” and owns a higher quality a/v or theater system will appreciate K

Kaleidescape isn’t going anywhere

3 hours ago, BXTR said:

Kaleidescape isn’t going anywhere

Kscape almost went under a few years back.

If you are rich, sure go with Kscape. The price doesnt matter and if they are gone in a few years so what.

But if this is a luxury item for you and you are hoping to get many years out of a system as well as being able to use your movie purchases on other platforms, I would be very hesitant. It would be one thing if they supported Movies Anywhere and many of your store purchases would stay with you if they went under but thats not the case.

Back when the system allowed you to rip your existing Blurays it was also less of a worry. You still had your collection. In this case your movie collection and Kscape are 1 entity (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Definitely not rich but just saved up weekly for a few months to get the initial Strato S and then slowly upgraded from there.  Before then had the original CinemaOne before the 1 day KScape went out of business and restarted.  The content is owned so never lost it.  There are integrators much more familiar than me on this topic but definitely prefer the stability, performance, reliability, and service with Kaleidescape.  And now, compared to then, they have licensing agreements and two-way feedback with each of the studios.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.