C4 Forums | Control4

"Freezing" HC300

Hi All,

I have an brand new HC300 that just upgraded to 1.8.2. Since the upgrade it seems to be "freezing" at times will take 10-15 seconds to respond to a button push on a screen or remote and other times it check out until I pull the plug. Symptons always seem to be the same... Picture Screen savers on Touchsceeens stop working then my Concord Alarm starts beeping with a Automation Bus Failure and then nothing responds sometimes for mins others like i said till I pull the plug. Have been through the network both LAN and Zigbee/Zigbee Pro and all seems fine, programming has not changed since the MC died and was replaced with the 300

System is as Folow and is pretty small

HC-300 Primary

2 HTCs

12 dimmers

2 6 button

1 2 button

Ver 1 10" TS

4" TS

NAS Storage for Audio/Video,etc

GE Concord4

Any ideas would be great....

Thanks...

Are you running navigator on your HC300? Is it also running a picture screensaver?

Those take quite a bit of CPU, especially the picture screensaver, but even so, it shouldn't be pausing 10-15 seconds.

Do you have any 2.4 GHz devices in your house? i.e. Phones, Baby Monitors, etc.? If you do, they could cause interference which would do what you're talking about.

RyanE

Ryan,

Yes screen saver and Navigator are running on the same HC300.... Its a weird thing, never had any issue with 1.7 this only started with the 1.8.2 upgrade. I have one of the HTC as the ZAP cooridnator and the HC300 as the ZServer.

No 2.4 stuff in the house, everything is at least 5.8 or better.

Any ideas would be great...

Keith

Well, corded is definitely better...

:)

1.8 (and 2.0) do tax the system more than 1.7 and earlier releases. I would definitely turn off screen saver just to see if that helps out with the problem.

I don't ever run screensaver on *on-screen* navigators, although I do on all my in-wall and portable devices. I just don't see the benefit, as the TV is either off, or watching a movie.

RyanE

Woops.. Forgot DECT 6.0 is actuly 1.9Ghz.. so running atleast 5.8 cordless phones in the house but pretty sure they are DECT 6.0.

Not running screen saver on anything but touchscreens too.. When I check the CPU usage of the 300 the Navigator process jumps from a couple of % up to 70% even when the system is not being used...is that normal with 1.8.X?

But will turn in off and see what happens

Talked to Tech Support.. they asked me to disable Navigator so far so good. They thought maybe running Navigator, Director and ZP on the same 300 was maxing it out... I really hope not as that does not sounds good for small systems...

Will see what Happens...

How many displays in your project? Couldn't you use an extra OSD afforded by a second HC-300? My system was designed with two HCs from the start so I really don't know if you are bottoming-out (rather topping-out) on processor...

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a couple of week and running with no navigator on the HC300 and that seems to have fixed it. I am little mad that support said I should by a HC200 just to run Navigator or upgrade to a HC1000V3 just to get back what I had with 1.7, seems like a waste of a 200 just to run Navigator... I hope they come up with some tuning that reduces the Navigator load on the 300...

Its been a couple of week and running with no navigator on the HC300 and that seems to have fixed it. I am little mad that support said I should by a HC200 just to run Navigator or upgrade to a HC1000V3 just to get back what I had with 1.7, seems like a waste of a 200 just to run Navigator... I hope they come up with some tuning that reduces the Navigator load on the 300...

The HC200 was designed to only run navigator, provide some IR outs, and serve as a ZAP in zigbee pro installations.

It isn't a waste, that's the purpose it's designed to serve, plain and simple.

Agreed... But not in the same room as the 300 is... The three has outputs so navigator can be used on it...

For my purposes its a waste since the 300 is in a room that I need to use Navigator... at least in my view anyways...

I think the opperative word in your statement is "can". You are correct that the Hc-300 can provide the function. The problem is that at some point you will max out the resources on the controller. The solution is to add additional resources. The additional resources are more hardware.

Archived