C4 Forums | Control4

AP Configuration - Wifi Channels

navman

I have 6 indoor Pakedge 4200 WAPs in my house and also an outdoor 2200 AP,  4 of these have been set-up by my dealer and I have added three since.

A recent software update has changed the channels and also to use Auto channel functionality, and I have noticed some issues on the network interfering with Zigbee therefore I have a few questions having reviewed the publicly available pakedge documentation.

• Should I set channel to Auto for 2.4 GHZ or 5 GHZ networks?
  • As a best practice should i still use  Channels 1, 6 and 11 for 2.4GHZ?
  • Should I enable Fast Roaming?
  • Band Steering, should I enable?
  • Should close by AP's be hardcoded to use the same channel?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, navman said:

I have 6 indoor Pakedge 4200 WAPs in my house and also an outdoor 2200 AP,  4 of these have been set-up by my dealer and I have added three since.

A recent software update has changed the channels and also to use Auto channel functionality, and I have noticed some issues on the network interfering with Zigbee therefore I have a few questions having reviewed the publicly available pakedge documentation.

• Should I set channel to Auto for 2.4 GHZ or 5 GHZ networks?
  • As a best practice should i still use  Channels 1, 6 and 11 for 2.4GHZ?
  • Should close by AP's be hardcoded to use the same channel?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

How large is your home?

4500 SQ foot house - single story with outdoor living space at front of house and rear.  

Also very poor cell phone coverage in area therefore wifi needs to cover dead spots around house that is why I added a few additional AP's.

Is there g a good tool that I can use to validate wifi signal and overlapping coverage?

The 4500 is indoor, approx another 500 feet at front and 900 ft at rear of house which is living space.

I want to check for overlapping dead spots and remove excess Ads, I also want to set the correct channels for 2.4 GHZ to accommodate C4 and Philips Hue

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Too many APs. Way too many 

Total Agree - We had this issue and after taking out all our AP (Had 4 at the time) we replaced them with One Ruckus AP and our Wifi is amazing

we even have Wifi calling set via the Ruckus. 

Sometimes less is More

This is an interesting post.  I have a 10,000 plus square foot house.  Concrete construction over 4 floors.  An extra 3,000 square feet outside with coverage.  I have 12 APs.  Reading the above, it sound like I have too many?

I have no issues with WiFi or Zigbee except that once every 2 or 3 weeks all of my APs CPUs go wild (100% CPU usage) and I have to reboot all of my APs to get this sorted…

Any thoughts?

12 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This is an interesting post.  I have a 10,000 plus square foot house.  Concrete construction over 4 floors.  An extra 3,000 square feet outside with coverage.  I have 12 APs.  Reading the above, it sound like I have too many?

I have no issues with WiFi or Zigbee except that once every 2 or 3 weeks all of my APs CPUs go wild (100% CPU usage) and I have to reboot all of my APs to get this sorted…

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't say you have too many.  I wouldn't even say the OP has too many without knowing more about his configuration. 

It really depends on how they are configured (power levels, neighboring channels, etc).  What you don't want are 12 AP's cranked up to maximum power levels causing interference, etc.  It's not uncommon to have a very high number of dense AP's (with finely tuned power and channel configuration) in non-residential environments.  

2 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I wouldn't say you have too many.  I wouldn't even say the OP has too many without knowing more about his configuration. 

It really depends on how they are configured (power levels, neighboring channels, etc).  What you don't want are 12 AP's cranked up to maximum power levels causing interference, etc.  It's not uncommon to have a very high number of dense AP's (with finely tuned power and channel configuration) in non-residential environments.  

I feel pretty confident its too many for that sqft

17 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Any thoughts?

What brand? Firmware updates? (max cpu issue).

No, with your poured concrete you likely need more APs

But that is not the norm.  Most people have them too high and handoff doesn't occur properly and you get "stuck" on a far away AP and don't transition to a closer AP therefore impacting speed.

Low power (13-15) is enough and then look for bad pockets and crank and adjust as needed.  Most of the time it's not channel.  It's  fact that you have too many APs turned up too high

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Any thoughts?

Absolutely too many TBH… even if you had an AP evenly at each end of every floor with concrete or a few “wings”. Are you using a Luxul controller? 

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Any thoughts?

I did some work overseas, and we ran into a few large villas that had some thick concrete structures. You can easily end up putting 3-4 per 2500 sq ft since signals may not transmit at all, especially if you want 5GHz. Hopefully you have an open floor plan so you don't need the extra WAPs. Easiest way to check is turn them all off except 1..... check with your phone/laptop how far you can get. Might also have to lower power on 2.4 GHz and up on 5Ghz.  

Any advice for the below, before I try to remove and replace AP's:

• Should I set channel to Auto for 2.4 GHZ?
  • As a best practice should i still use  Channels 1, 6 and 11 for 2.4GHZ at 20MHZ?
  • Radio levels

2 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Absolutely too many TBH… even if you had an AP evenly at each end of every floor with concrete or a few “wings”. Are you using a Luxul controller? 

Yes, using an XWC-1000 controller which my dealer is going to swap for an XWC-2000 controller in the hope of fixing the issue…

2 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I did some work overseas, and we ran into a few large villas that had some thick concrete structures. You can easily end up putting 3-4 per 2500 sq ft since signals may not transmit at all, especially if you want 5GHz. Hopefully you have an open floor plan so you don't need the extra WAPs. Easiest way to check is turn them all off except 1..... check with your phone/laptop how far you can get. Might also have to lower power on 2.4 GHz and up on 5Ghz.  

While we have a large open plan downstairs area (this only has one AP, we have lots of solid concrete between other areas downstairs) and upstairs every room (4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 Pyjama Lounges and a massive walk in closet have solid concrete walls except for one of the Pyjama lounges which is open plan connected to the master suite) .  Our basement level has 2 parts separated by many metres of earth and concrete.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, navman said:

Should I set channel to Auto for 2.4 GHZ?

No, Under Radio (2.4G) de-select every channel except for 1, 6, and 11. 

Should I enable Fast Roaming?

No, this function allows a client device to roam quickly in environments implementing the WPA2 Enterprise security

My iPhone 10 won't connect when this function is activated.

Band Steering, should I enable?

Yes

Radio levels

Ekahau HeatMapper is going to be your friend.

There are older versions on the net = free.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, ekohn00 said:

Easiest way to check is turn them all off except 1..... check with your phone/laptop how far you can get. Might also have to lower power on 2.4 GHz and up on 5Ghz.

Great advice on initial set up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.