C4 Forums | Control4

How many screens do you have and why?

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

4 wires I think. Can you do POE with 4 wires? What power options do the touchscreens have?

Not sure u can POE with only four but u can have Ethernet with 4 wires, this won’t work, the only way is to power T3 by USB and use WiFi

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Only option for T4 right now is PoE. You can get 2-wire poe and network adapters and hide themm behind screens if need be.

Intreating, will 👀 into these adapters …

17 hours ago, therockhr said:

Look for the Planet branded one for lower cost, and yes, not cheap at all. Just stating the option, don't shoot the messenger 😉

15 hours ago, therockhr said:

Yeah I’m wondering if there is a cheaper solution that would do power and then use the WiFi in the touchscreen for data

IF you're comfortable using 4 wires and rigging things quite a bit, PoE uses 4 wires of a cable. Which depend on if it's Mode A or B.

End devices by standard should accept either, but PoE injectors (including switches)  only HAVE to use one or the other so you may have to figure out which....

And yes you CAN power using PoE then use WiFi for the network. Depending on Mode and injector capability however you may still get PoE +100Mb/s

Of course going this way is ALL on the person doing it, I'm NOT endorsing the method. (In other words, don't blame me if you blow up an expensive screen)

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Sure but I'm just trying to imagine how you'd get a cable in there and mount it all nicely though.

These are at the back who cares how nice it looks, it will work just fine 😀

44 minutes ago, Amr said:

These are at the back who cares how nice it looks, it will work just fine 😀

I had to use this on one of my in-wall T3’s I brought one and I ran over the power box, completely damaged so I had to mount it like that and used a $10 POW to usb converter and worked just fine, wired LAN and power from USB 😀, u also have to option to go wireless

On 8/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, lebron2k21 said:

If you have installed 18 screens then why is largest system to date 4 screens? Or am I missing something here? 

Touchscreen count doesn’t necessarily correlate to total project size. The system with 18 touchscreens had 26 distributed audio zones & 19 video zones, and not a whole lot else. Our largest system is around 24 audio zones & 8 non-distributed video zones. But it also has almost 100 lighting loads, 20+ bus keypads, 46 motorized shades, 7 C4 thermostats, & just about every other doodad you can integrate into C4. The house is just a little over 5000 sq. ft. so 7 touchscreens will be plenty.

I’d agree that the touchpad makes for a better experience in terms of quick startup and also available for all visitors, but they are slower to use that an iPad (if you ignore the startup time) and the fidelity of control of sliders on the touchscreens is rubbish by comparison.  

i have 7 touchscreens, 3 fixed and 4 portable, in 3 years I’ve had 4 failed units, only 2 of which were inside warranty, so I don’t expect to get much length of service from them.

personally I wish there was a way I could overcome the need for the iOS app to reload the project data every time you switch to the app rather than maintain state, then I would replace all of my touchscreens with iPads as they fail.  Only way I can think of is to not let the device sleep.

From memory, the touchscreens are around £750, iPad starts at £329, other tablets cheaper still I suspect.

2 hours ago, GadgetBazza said:

I’d agree that the touchpad makes for a better experience in terms of quick startup and also available for all visitors, but they are slower to use that an iPad (if you ignore the startup time) and the fidelity of control of sliders on the touchscreens is rubbish by comparison.  

i have 7 touchscreens, 3 fixed and 4 portable, in 3 years I’ve had 4 failed units, only 2 of which were inside warranty, so I don’t expect to get much length of service from them.

personally I wish there was a way I could overcome the need for the iOS app to reload the project data every time you switch to the app rather than maintain state, then I would replace all of my touchscreens with iPads as they fail.  Only way I can think of is to not let the device sleep.

From memory, the touchscreens are around £750, iPad starts at £329, other tablets cheaper still I suspect.

Take a look at this device, it won’t break your bank and u r close to a T3 experience, it’s 6” as well, perfect for a desktop https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIZIO-XR6M10-Smartcast-6-inch-Touch-Screen-Android-Tablet-Remote-Control-/294299504657?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I got many to replace old 7” portables, only load OS3 app on it + Fully Kiosk App to lock it totally to OS3 app

1 hour ago, lebron2k21 said:

On the C4 Touchscreen data sheet it says the more screens you have the lesser quality when doing intercom anywhere. Is this correct? 

Depends on the controller as well

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know when the T4 screen will be available to be powered by AC and connect via WIFI? the tech sheet says it can but my dealer says it is only POE for now, and I don't have a ethernet where I want to put it. so we have a T3 there now but want a T4.

I find it weird that the spec sheet says the connector is there but the unit doesn't have it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.