C4 Forums | Control4

Entry Door Lock Options?

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Our range here is more than that - but I've NEVER had to 'seasonally' adjust my strike plates, though I've certainly seen contraction/expansion on the door and jamb itself. 🤷‍♂️

Cy, I think the reason for this is our Chinooks.  For anyone reading this and not sure what that is.  During our winter months it can go from -22F to 50F in just a few hours.  It happens when the right conditions occur during winter.   Winter winds can accelerate coming down the mountains and this heats up the air.  This process can repeat several times a week.  When this occurs, it's very common to see people in shorts in the middle of winter at 32F, as long as the sun is shining.  The second that sun goes behind clouds it gets real cold real quick again 😂

This causes the jambs to expand and contract a lot more, I'm guessing this is the reason why we have to adjust the strike plates.

This thread got me motivated -- is anyone aware of a magnetic (or otherwise mechanical) actuator for a regular deadbolt (i.e., Schlage's non-automated collection)? I'd love to try a hardwired, 'stealth' setup...

22 minutes ago, booch said:

This thread got me motivated -- is anyone aware of a magnetic (or otherwise mechanical) actuator for a regular deadbolt (i.e., Schlage's non-automated collection)? I'd love to try a hardwired, 'stealth' setup...

Yeah, had we planned a bit better we would have set-up for mag locks and used the hardware we wanted. 

14 hours ago, Jeff W said:

Cy, I think the reason for this is our Chinooks.

Yeah, those might be it - I'll have to remember to ask family next time I'm in Calgary - they never mentioned it, but then again, why would they.

Great conversation started....Man, I had to change my strike plates again the other day.... 😏

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.