C4 Forums | Control4

Entry Door Lock Options?

Any newer options for locks, the Yale, Kwikset, and Baldwin options are starting to be a bit outdated.  Really trying to avoid August but as the only real option in Black, we may need to go this route.  Also considering trying the Level Lock and just skipping C4 integration if we really need to.  

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you can consider any yale lock that takes an august module - they are a little more modern

Unfortunately, at first glance, looks like Satin Nickle and Oil Rubbed Bronze are the only options...  We really need black, the property has black doors and hinges, black trim, black windows, etc.

I may also get  a Level and use the Veritas HomeBridge driver to try and integrate.   I do feel like C4 and or the lock manufactures need to up the game, buyers at the upper end care about design and the option right now look like they are out of early 2000's

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 1:49 PM, cdepaola said:

Unfortunately, at first glance, looks like Satin Nickle and Oil Rubbed Bronze are the only options...  We really need black, the property has black doors and hinges, black trim, black windows, etc.

I may also get  a Level and use the Veritas HomeBridge driver to try and integrate.   I do feel like C4 and or the lock manufactures need to up the game, buyers at the upper end care about design and the option right now look like they are out of early 2000's

x2 on upping the lock game. I had the exact same issue in that I was looking for black. Went with August. The product itself is great but relying on their cloud service isn’t, because it acts up.

19 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Obsidian 954 Kwikset available in Iron Black ?

Curious what you all consider more "modern" than some of the lock available with C4 module (some certainly look old fashioned) - genuine question?

I agree...these look great and work with Control4.

I've presented the obsidian to a couple of clients, but the thought of getting locked out if the batteries dies is a deal breaker most of the time.  Most people won't keep a spare 9v battery handy to power the lock in the event the inside batteries die.  

You know how it goes, sometimes, no matter how hard you try sometimes, something doesn't match.  Either the handle is too different or the lock is too different.  😂

Function wise, the Kwikset locks have been very reliable for us.  

PS.  Looks great Ryan!  Nice doorbell too 😁

54 minutes ago, Jeff W said:

I've presented the obsidian to a couple of clients, but the thought of getting locked out if the batteries dies is a deal breaker most of the time.  Most people won't keep a spare 9v battery handy to power the lock in the event the inside batteries die.  

You know how it goes, sometimes, no matter how hard you try sometimes, something doesn't match.  Either the handle is too different or the lock is too different.  😂

I don't much worry because I have 4 of them on the outside doors of my house (some Kwikset, some Yale, different varieties), and also a garage door I could open (that is it's own system).

I also use rechargeable batteries in all of the Zigbee locks, and as soon as I get a single 'low battery' warning from any of them, I recharge all 16 batteries, one lock at a time.  

Thanks for the kudos!  I think the repainting of the door and trim turned out nicely.

RyanE

57 minutes ago, Jeff W said:

Most people won't keep a spare 9v battery handy to power the lock in the event the inside batteries die.

I also figure that even without multiple locks, I wouldn't need to keep a 9V all that handy, since they're available even at the local 24h gas station, and as long as it's more handy than paying a locksmith, I think I come out ahead.

Of course, I don't live out in the woods 1 hour from the closest gas station, etc.

:)

RyanE

7 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I also use rechargeable batteries in all of the Zigbee locks, and as soon as I get a single 'low battery' warning from any of them, I recharge all 16 batteries, one lock at a time. 

Out of all the locks we have in the field.  I did have to RMA one.  The Kwikset rep was very strict about not using rechargeables.  They made it very clear that only alkaline batteries were acceptable in the Kwikset locks.  

They said the reason being is that the rechargeables have a tendency to not report the correct voltage in them which often triggers a low battery indication.  

Just a handy tip for customers when replacing batteries to make sure they get the best experience from their locks 😁

6 hours ago, Jeff W said:

Out of all the locks we have in the field.  I did have to RMA one.  The Kwikset rep was very strict about not using rechargeables.  They made it very clear that only alkaline batteries were acceptable in the Kwikset locks.  

They said the reason being is that the rechargeables have a tendency to not report the correct voltage in them which often triggers a low battery indication.  

Just a handy tip for customers when replacing batteries to make sure they get the best experience from their locks 😁

It’s funny you had that experience. I had issues early in with my kwikset hardware.  I went from rechargeable batteries to those fancy Engergizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and now no issues at all. 

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

It’s funny you had that experience. I had issues early in with my kwikset hardware.  I went from rechargeable batteries to those fancy Engergizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and now no issues at all. 

The rechargeable ones produce a lower voltage.  I agree the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are the way to go. 

8 hours ago, Jeff W said:

If you only have one way to get into the house then I might agree to that.  The fact is, most homes have multiple entry points and the odds of them all being dead at once is very slim.

I have plenty of hardware where I've had issues trying to use rechargeables.

Zigbee door locks have never been one of them, either Kwikset or Yale (older and newer locks of each).

As I mentioned before, I recharge them all when any of the locks gives a low battery warning (using push notifications), so most of the locks are well above 'low' when recharged.

I also use the 'high-capacity, low self-discharge' (2400 mAH) rechargeables.

I'm not recommending that you go against the lock manufacturer's recommendations, just stating my experiences.

RyanE

I've seen some issues with poor quality rechargeables indeed triggering false low battery events, so don't recommend them for locks either.

Lithium batteries are fine, but overkill unless the door is opened/closed a LOT (using the motor) - standard Alkalines last me over a year on one lock, just under a year on the other (usage difference)

12 hours ago, Jeff W said:

, but the thought of getting locked out if the batteries dies is a deal breaker most of the time

I've had that question - my answer is, I've not carried my house keys on me for over 10 years now. It's a lot easier to get a 9v battery around the corner than it is to get into my house to try and get to my keys inside the house when locked out.

Note that my lock do indeed have the key option, and no 9v power option - and yes I TRULY have not carried my house keys with me for over 10 years.

I DO have the habit of checking my lock batteries before leaving on a vacation for more than a week long, just in case 😄

Also don't carry a house key in years, so nice. (Although there's one hidden, but haven't needed it).

We try and have one door with a key backup option, garage, side, utility etc, the others can be keyless digital as desired.

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

As I mentioned before, I recharge them all when any of the locks gives a low battery warning (using push notifications), so most of the locks are well above 'low' when recharged.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as diligent as keeping/maintaining that level of battery maintenance.  These locks due require some level of maintenance in my region.  Because we can have large temperature swings from one season to the next -40F (winter) to 98F (Summer).  This affects the door jambs as they expand/contract.  When the deadbolt starts rubbing on the jamb/strike plate, it can chew through batteries faster.  I probably have to adjust my adjustable strike plates once or twice a year.

It's probably been 10 years for myself as well.  I originally had the Zwave Schlage locks before switching out to the Kwikset ones.  I have 14 keys on my key ring, I have keys for other family members homes, mailboxes, padlocks, AV racks.  I couldn't tell you where my house key is 😂  As long as I have my phone... I can get get into my house, so it's not an issue for me.

5 hours ago, DanITman said:

If you only have one way to get into the house then I might agree to that.  The fact is, most homes have multiple entry points and the odds of them all being dead at once is very slim.

I think this is the key... sell more Control4 locks 😂

I personally do not like cloud API's, anything that can be controlled via the site is preferred. Have no issues with Kwikset locks.  

40 minutes ago, Jeff W said:

we can have large temperature swings from one season to the next -40F (winter) to 98F (Summer).  This affects the door jambs as they expand/contract.  When the deadbolt starts rubbing on the jamb/strike plate, it can chew through batteries faster.  I probably have to adjust my adjustable strike plates once or twice a year.

Our range here is more than that - but I've NEVER had to 'seasonally' adjust my strike plates, though I've certainly seen contraction/expansion on the door and jamb itself. 🤷‍♂️

But yes and 'rubbing' can certainly drop battery life as the motor is simply using more power.

20 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Obsidian 954 Kwikset available in Iron Black ?

Curious what you all consider more "modern" than some of the lock available with C4 module (some certainly look old fashioned) - genuine question?

The obsidian in iron black is an option, honestly the only good option though I wish it wasn't a touch screen. Always prefer hard buttons over touch screens. 

With that said my original intent was more modern finish options like flat black, gun metal, brushed brass. I know level won't work with C4 but there stuff looks fantastic and is now compatible with one of the absolute best hardware manufacturers, Rock Mountain Hardware. Still haven't tried but curious if Level could be used in conjuction with the Home Bridge driver. 

In the end most likely will use the Kwikset Obsidian...

2 hours ago, cdepaola said:

The obsidian in iron black is an option, honestly the only good option though I wish it wasn't a touch screen. Always prefer hard buttons over touch screens. 

My door faces west and during the summer days, the sun beats down on the touchscreen all day and gets quite warm.  The touch screen has held up over several years and I'm quite impressed it hasn't failed.  I am quite north, so we still have sunlight at 10:30pm at night.  The touchscreen hasn't failed yet. *knock on wood*.

The only thing I will say about the kwikset touchscreen is that when the sun does beat down on it.  You do have the press and hold your finger on the lock icon or the random two digits it generates during the unlocking process.  Sometimes, I can be there for a few seconds until it recognizes the button press.    

On a side note.  I really do like the kwikset random number generation as part of the unlocking process.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.