C4 Forums | Control4

LED Light strips back of TV

TP-Link KL430 is my favorite.  Can be purchased easily, installed easily (as its wifi) and integrates to our driver for local based IP control.

Product - https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-lighting/kasa-smart-led-light-strip-kl430

Driver - https://www.chowmainsoft.com/tplink-control4

Phillips Hue gradient lightstrip paired hue sync HDMI play box is pretty cool. The lightstrip itself integrates, but the sync play box doesn't so integration isn't that great. The light glow and change colors to match the content on TV. A bit pricey though at about $500+ all in.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, zaphod said:

Just saw this review on TheVerge for Govee Immersion which is a relatively inexpensive ($80) TV backlight:  https://www.theverge.com/22566408/govee-immersion-ambilight-tv-backlight-review

Not sure if they integrate with C4 but @alanchow has written on a driver for Govee LED lights, maybe that can control these as well?

verge_IMG_8595_2040pxl.jpg

The govee immersion does work (I installed it on my tv) with our driver however due to limitations in govees API we cannot set scenes or modes.  As such you cannot switch to movie mode if you switch out of it.

At my place I just leave it in movie mode and hide color and color temperature proxies.

Have programmed it to turn on at 100% brightness if the tv turns on at night and turns off when the tv turns off.

this works really well.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:09 PM, alanchow said:

The govee immersion does work (I installed it on my tv) with our driver however due to limitations in govees API we cannot set scenes or modes.  As such you cannot switch to movie mode if you switch out of it.

At my place I just leave it in movie mode and hide color and color temperature proxies.

Have programmed it to turn on at 100% brightness if the tv turns on at night and turns off when the tv turns off.

this works really well.

Alan, is/will the Govee tape lighting be compatible with the color wheel driver?

21 hours ago, cshepard said:

Alan, is/will the Govee tape lighting be compatible with the color wheel driver?

I can’t comment on that.  You’ll need to reach out to the developer of the color wheel driver about that.

• 8 months later...

We installed some Govee LED Strips and used the driver by chowmein.... It does control the lights as far as on/off and brightness, but the color does not work well enough to call it working.

The issue we have is that when creating a scene in c4 and then running the scene, it will sometimes make some of the strips the selected colors, some it wont, and sometimes it wont at all. When we try to set the colors manually via the RGB sliders it will sometimes work, sometimes not, sometimes it will do it and then revert back a few seconds later.

There is no way to create a scene in Govee and then activate it on c4...

So from an integration standpoint, i would say it does not work. We are ordering Philips Hue hub and controllers for our project. (reason we didnt in the first place is because the client already have Govee and wanted to use them...we tried...

I have no doubt the driver works fine, its the interface between the driver and Govee that is the issue, likely due to the limitations on Govees API.

If anybody has a solution or working environment please let me know...

1 hour ago, Stephen -Bay AV said:

We installed some Govee LED Strips and used the driver by chowmein.... It does control the lights as far as on/off and brightness, but the color does not work well enough to call it working.

Do you have the Govee Immersion system that uses a camera to provide an "ambilight" effect like the photo below?  I have those and they are somewhat effective although nowhere near perfect.

Buy Ambilight Fantasy Dream Color LED Strip TV Backlight ...

• 2 months later...

I want that so badly, but I need to save up a little to buy a good TV, and then I will install the LEDs too.  I have been thinking about this since the first time I saw this on the Internet. I am not a big fan of watching TV, but it would be nice to turn it on when we’re watching some movies together with my girlfriend.  Some car lights are also in my car’s interior, and they are adorable. These lights don’t hurt the eyes, and I like to drive through the night with the lights on. This makes me feel like Ryan Gosling from Drive. I know I am not even a good driver, but there are fewer cars out there at night, and I somehow manage to look cooler.

3 hours ago, Waltarant said:

I want that so badly, but I need to save up a little to buy a good TV, and then I will install the LEDs too.  I want that so badly, but I need to save up a little to buy a good TV, and then I will install the LEDs too.

Yes, Yes we hear u :) :) 

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I just use cheap tape light from Amazon and the DMX lighting driver from Blackwire. Works awesome. Doesn’t change colors automatically, but can use the color wheel to set whatever you want. It’s awesome. 

@ILoveC4 If you're using Domaudeo's DMX driver, there is an effect switch you can use to randomly change the colors.  Set the Number of fixtures, first red DMX channel, channels per fixture then copy the following

• Effect = Random Loop
  • Palette = Rainbow
  • Color Spread = Multiple Colors

Modify the next two fields to change the behavior of the DMX lights

• Simultaneous Lights
  • Set your desired Fade time

image.thumb.jpeg.50bd0e380c94fa24706800317d79f151.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.