C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad Programming

Dueport

Question

Wondering if the up down arrow keys on the keypad can be used for multiple purposes? Specifically, I’d like to program it so you can press a “lamps” key then up and down arrow keys to dim those lamps; then press a “music” key to turn on integrated speakers in that room then use the up down arrows for volume control; another key for “shades” where up down arrows would then raise and lower the shades; and so on. Is this possible?

Suppose this also raises the question: what programming action options are available from the keys? Obviously press and release but is there double tap, triple tap, hold, etc?

Finally, I see there’s a keypad dimmer combo which is awesome - can you program it to act as a simple switch rather than dimmer or is there another unit that is a keypad and switch combo?

6 answers to this question

The up/down arrow keys need to be set as "follow last button press" in order to do what your asking for multiple device control.  It will work exactly as you describe, press lamp button, then up/down will dim.  Same with music button, up/down on volume control.  All of these actions do need to be bound to a driver's connections in order to achieve this.

All newer gen buttons/dimmers/switches support single/double/triple actions.

They do offer a keypad switch, but only in EU, nothing for USA.  Dimmer only.  The dimmers can be set for instant on/off of a load, but the same dimming principles apply.  The load must be capable of dimming.  Don't expect to use it for fluorescent lighting in the garage or anything.  Could easily damage the dimmer or ballasts.

11 hours ago, lippavisual said:

The up/down arrow keys need to be set as "follow last button press" in order to do what your asking for multiple device control.  It will work exactly as you describe, press lamp button, then up/down will dim.  Same with music button, up/down on volume control.  All of these actions do need to be bound to a driver's connections in order to achieve this.

All newer gen buttons/dimmers/switches support single/double/triple actions.

They do offer a keypad switch, but only in EU, nothing for USA.  Dimmer only.  The dimmers can be set for instant on/off of a load, but the same dimming principles apply.  The load must be capable of dimming.  Don't expect to use it for fluorescent lighting in the garage or anything.  Could easily damage the dimmer or ballasts.

This is all fantastic - really glad to hear it will work as hoped. Good info on the dimmer too - in most places where I’d like to add a keypad the dimmer would be good but in one location (back deck lights) dimming would just create confusion - but instant on/off setting should work there fine as lights are dimmable. Thanks again - appreciate you taking the time to answer those questions!

@Dueportthanks for asking this question as I have wondered about this same thing for some time but have been too lazy to ask.

@lippavisualI am trying to get a better understanding of what you said about all the actions need to be bound to a driver's connections.  Is that a specific request I need to make from my dealer?  Meaning I have Composer HE and six button keypads that are setup and working for lights & audio.  I didn't know if that capability is already there and I just need to create it in Programing or have additional dealer help?  Speaking of where is "follow last button" located in HE?   

Bindings all depend on what you're trying to accomplish.  Binding lights or lighting scenes has better, quicker, granular control when a button is bound to said light or scene vs. programming it.

Also, this is assuming you're using the newer Gen3 keypads and not the original 6-button keypads.  See below for examples

ScreenHunter 61.png

ScreenHunter 60.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.