C4 Forums | Control4

Inherited system through new home purchase - need help

AndyD

I recently purchased a home with a C4 system but the previous owner passed away and I don't know who the original installer was, so I'm a little in the dark on many items on the system.  Currently the most annoying one is the lack of whole home audio.  There are 5 zones, a 5.1 surround system in the living room (serviced by a denon receiver) and then 4zone distributed audio locations throughout the house.  I can airplay music to the denon amp for the 5.1 surround system but cannot get the c4 system working to distribute the streaming audio beyond that.  I have re-registered the system in my name so I can login to the app (the old version, OS2) and see the system, but I can't control anything.  For example, I select "audio" and then "pandora" and then get this error service missing : "this music service is not set up in sonos yet. Please configure it in a sonos controller first".  The prior home owner didn't leave any sonos product in the homerun rack.  So I'm wondering if (1) this problem can be simply troubleshot via software/configuration or (2) if hardware, like a sonos port, is required to add on so that it can link into the denon amp (for the 5.1 surrond) and the 4zone matrix amp.  Below is my hardware.  I live in orange county California so if you have any local recs that is appreciated as well.  If this helps at all, I have installed a Unify home network system, so there is a 24port switch and UDM pro in the rack to utilize.

Denon AVR1912

Control4® HC-800 Controller C4-HC800-BL-1

Control4® 4-Zone Matrix Amplifier C4-8AMP1-B

Your system is new enough to get upgraded to OS3 if you don't want to spend too much money in the short term.  The HC-800 can run OS3 but it can do the On Screen Display.  I find I don't ever use the OSD, I prefer to use my phone, or table or remote control.  The only downside is that the HC-800 doesn't support the really high fidelity audio, but that may not matt\er to you. Is the HC-800 in the rack?  If so, is it connected to the 4 zone amp?

The C4 4 zone amp is good and still works fine. The 4 zone model supports digital coax inputs, unlike the 8 zone amp. IMO these older amps were more reliable than the generation that came after them. I have three of these amps in my system.

What music service do you use?  You should be able to use native music sources without needing a Sonos at all. That can be a music service supported directly in C4, like Tidal or Amazon Music, or you can use Spotify with Spotify connect.  Or Shairplay for Apple Music, which likely needs to get set up for your 4 zone amp.

Get a good dealer, either local or one of the dealers on here that can help you remotely.

edit - Oh, and Unifi is fine for networking although isn't on the offically supported listed.  Lots of C4 users have Unifi networking.

Yes the HC-800 is in the rack

Yes it is connected to the 4 zone amp (audio out port 1 into audio input 4 in the amp) as well as audio out port 2 into the denon receiver 

Music services : pandora, spotify, siriusxm 

Then you should be in pretty good shape and one of the remote dealers here should be able to get you going.  Not sure about Siriusxm support on the whole house audio, if that matters.

It sounds like you are tech savvy enough to do any minor wiring that may need to be done.

In the early days Sonos was used to supply streaming services before Control4 filled in their offerings. Now it's not needed for the most popular services. Sounds like previous owner likely had a Sonos plugged into the audio input on the Control4 which then allowed the Sonos to pass through either output one to the amp, or output two to the Denon.

As mentioned a dealer can sort it out to use native Control4 streaming services, in person or remotely depending on where you plan to go with your system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.