C4 Forums | Control4

Josh Ai

C4CA

Yes. Josh is very intelligent and knows which nano or micro your talking to. I have Multiple josh micros and many times I can see more  then one light up when I say ok josh , but then it knows I believe based on which micro  I’m closer to which room to control 

1 minute ago, JSTRONG said:

Yes. Josh is very intelligent and knows which nano or micro your talking to. I have Multiple josh micros and many times I can see more  then one light up when I say ok josh , but then it knows I believe based on which micro  I’m closer to which room to control  

@JSTRONGis absolutely correct.  They both will handle this fine.  For the record the Nano has a 4 mic array setup and pics up a little better, but I haven't noticed a problem with the Micros even in very large rooms or cluttered/clashed areas.  A recent 9 Micro install was in an open floorplan.  Micros were ceiling mounted per the customer request center of each occupancy space... no clashing of commands.  It's really quite intuitive  and gets better as they further develop and you further integrate devices, commands, scenes, etc.

Thanks guys.  Is ceiling mounting preferred or is this an aesthetic requirement that hurts performance?   I am doing new construction with mostly 10' and 12' ceilings and figured wall mounting was better, and not too obtrusive with Nanos.  I can see how wifey would object to a bunch of Micros on the walls.

9 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

Thanks guys.  Is ceiling mounting preferred or is this an aesthetic requirement that hurts performance?   I am doing new construction with mostly 10' and 12' ceilings and figured wall mounting was better, and not too obtrusive with Nanos.  I can see how wifey would object to a bunch of Micros on the walls.

Wall mounted is preferred on the Micros, simply because of button feedback and the fact that today there isn't a way to turn off the ring LEDs.  But you don't "need" the button presses and so long as it isn't above your head in a bedroom, it's not annoying.  As far as it's ability to hear your commands at a 10' ceiling mount, you will have zero issues.

• 1 month later...

Question.  On the Josh demos, they demonstrate tv control and loading content. I assume the content is be controlled through roku or apple tv.  Are the tv commands sent through c4 (or crestron) or directly from josh?  I have seen both Samsung and Sony tvs in the demos.  

2 minutes ago, am350z said:

Question.  On the Josh demos, they demonstrate tv control and loading content. I assume the content is be controlled through roku or apple tv.  Are the tv commands sent through c4 (or crestron) or directly from josh?  I have seen both Samsung and Sony tvs in the demos.  

Josh directly to Roku for app launch and some apps content search. (the TV Sony/Samsung part is input switching and power commands)

19 minutes ago, am350z said:

So the input switching,  power and volume commands are being sent by Josh directly to a connected tv? Or is josh relying on an automation system to handle those commands?   

Josh to TV (through IP) assuming said TV is compatible, Samsung, Sony LG.

For non Josh ready stuff, than an appropriate control system can handle it.

Example:
Sony TV, Roku, Sonos ARC - can be all Josh. (including IP Xfinity or Dish)
Sony TV, Anthem Surround, Kalidescape, Cox, 11.2 Surround, Roku - then Josh commands Control4 to do the switching, and in the case of the Roku, then Josh will directly launch the app asked for.

The cool part, that's not a bunch of programming. Assuming the theater was all working in Control4 and you add Josh, then it's just setting up Josh pathways.

Extended. Say you want to watch Star Wars, which is in your Kalidescape. If you have Chowmains driver, and setup a playlist of the movies, and create a scene in Josh. You could say "Hey Josh, May the Force be with You" and off you go.

What is current best practice for audio distribution if using c4 and josh.ai?  Sonos looks to integrate seemlessly with Josh but obviously not with C4.  Also, prefer the sonos app for browsing versus native c4 solutions.  

Currently there are more music services integrated/searchable with Sonos, and Sonos allows Josh to talk through the Sonos audio system. For Josh to talk back through Control4 distributed, than a Core is needed to connect into the matrix, core is also needed for Nanos as it's the processor for Nanos.. (Josh is ever evolving, so I would expect Control4 services to catch up.)

The thing to keep in mind about Josh. He was created to eliminate complex control systems. If you stay in their small sandbox of products, he can do a lot. If you add a Control4 system,  the sandbox gets a LOT bigger. Don't have Lutron lighting/shades, want a real nice theater, legacy audio equipment, things like garage doors, pool, locks.... than anything that plays well with Control4 can join the Josh party. The caveat is, for search and play, those things need to be native to Josh.

I understand Josh is close to adding additional C4 native streaming services

Also, the way I do it is I have 1 sonos port on the matrix.

So when I want to use josh to play music, it will use the sonos. If I want to play c4 streaming music I will go to a touch panel or my phone and play tidal or whatever.

My understanding is that, for best integrated music experience with Josh, you would go all Sonos (either all-in-one speakers or "Amps" for built-in speakers.   Voice feedback "just works" and music "deep" (specific song from any service Sonos is connected to) voice selection "just works."   Barring that, it looks like adding a Sonos "Port" or two or three to the matrix is best for Music, but, with a matrix, you need to route feedback analog audio from Core through your matrix.  My expectation is that this will also "just work"--- but Core/Nanos haven't shipped so TBD how easy/robust it is.  I assume Josh will try very hard to nail this, as it is the key feature that makes Nano/Core so attractive.

On the video side, it sounds like Roku is best (only?) game for "deep" content discovery via voice.  Like "OK Josh, play latest episode of Ozark" (and it will play on the TV in the room your are in, with audio via your in-ceiling speakers.    Since I am wedded to Apple Ecosystem, I will probably end up buying a Roku AND an Apple TV per TV and use Apple TV for "on screen" content discovery.  You could still use Josh to "Hey Josh, let's watch Apple TV," but not to go to a specific app, let alone a specific piece of video content.

Also, I think Josh's deep integration (content specific) with video sources is somewhat limited (Netflix and a couple others, with YouTube as the "all other" source for stuff not discovered on premium streaming services)--- so I expect to use onscreen browser on Apple TV for general viewing.   I may hold off on Apple TVs for secondary TVs and see if I can live with just Ruku for everything.

Another thing I learned is that, unless you are all-Sonos, you are limited to two simultaneous voice response sessions with Nano/Core.  Buying a second Core *ONLY* gives you redundancy--- not four simultaneous feedback streams.   Probably not a big deal in real world (how many people are going to be simultaneously expecting a response from Josh?).  I asked what happens if you exceed two, and was told that responses would be queued (a bit of delay) and not just dropped.  I figured I can live with that, but hope they address in the future.

I haven't gotten my core/nano yet, so i cannot speak on any of that stuff.

What i can confirm is that i have a Sonos Port hooked up to a c4 matrix and that works fine.  "Hey Josh, play metallica" uses the sonos port to the room i'm in.  If i'm somewhere else i use my c4 touchpanels to use c4 music services.

6 minutes ago, malelan said:

I haven't gotten my core/nano yet, so i cannot speak on any of that stuff.

What i can confirm is that i have a Sonos Port hooked up to a c4 matrix and that works fine.  "Hey Josh, play metallica" uses the sonos port to the room i'm in.  If i'm somewhere else i use my c4 touchpanels to use c4 music services.

Yes, and you can also say "play metallica in the kitchen" or any other room connected to the matrix. And of course you can ask him to play  specific song as well

1 minute ago, am350z said:

If you only have one Sonos Port connected to the matrix, is room specific playing handled on the backend through c4 programming?  Replacing my C4 matrix and adding a Port might be preferable to 8-10 stacked ports.

yes, correct, this is handled on the control4 end.  as long as the sonos device is available to every room in control4, it will be intelligently routed when the command goes through josh.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 12:29 PM, Develop Up-scale said:

Anyone know the cost of the Micro? Any announcement on the sensors that will be included?  Any discussions with the company on their plans for enabling the ability to do internet searches (maybe using DuckDuckGo, etc.)?

Micros retail for $599 USD. The Nanos retail for $599 also. Core (required to use Nanos) retails for $1499. Nothing else is included. Software licensing starts at  $600 for one year license for 9 or less rooms

5 minutes ago, bobbay said:

Micros retail for $599 USD. The Nanos retail for $599 also. Core (required to use Nanos) retails for $1499. Nothing else is included. Software licensing starts at  $600 for one year license for 9 or less rooms

Any new info on shipping ETA at this point?

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.