C4 Forums | Control4

Can EA-1 power two zones?

mod220

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

You can. But you can't have OSD and audio concurrently

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

You can’t play music and have the OSD on TV?  That’s crazy, would seem so basic to know what you’re listening to?

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Then buy an ea3

I have three rooms with one TV and two zones

the Idea of buying 3 EA3s to simply play sound on two more speakers in the same room, is a bit much

what you’re saying is the EA1 is not designed for one room, it’s designed for one zone, bummer

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That was never then intent of an ea1. There is a reason isn't simpler.

It's like saying it's crazy I can't haul 10000 lbs w a car. Why do I need a truck?

You need to design (and pay) for what you want

Sort of, but it’s more like it’s $600 to tow 9,000 lbs, but to tow 10,000 pound you need to pay $1,500

an EA-1 will run the 7.2.2 theatre but to play sound on two speakers above pool table 20 feet away in the same room, triples the cost, seems a bit odd, no?

Just now, msgreenf said:

And I'm not aware of an ea1 outputting 7.1 audio. It outputs stereo

I guess I need to see a wiring diagram or illustration, if it doesn’t do Atmos or audio, etc, and you don’t like the OSD, I’m confused at what the heck people us an EA-1 for?

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

I think you fundamentally misunderstood the purpose of a controller. It's not an avr.

I know it’s not an AVR, I view the EA-1 as basically a hub to use a C4 remote to control my AVR, but doesn’t seem like it can do that 

Just now, mod220 said:

I guess I need to see a wiring diagram or illustration, if it doesn’t do Atmos or audio, etc, and you don’t like the OSD, I’m confused at what the heck people us an EA-1 for?

First, you are way over-thinking this. EA-1, Atmos? The EA-1 is a controller. Yes, it will do one stream. But is a controller. You have Denon AVRs that handle the ATMOS, etc. The HDMI from the EA-1 gets you the on screen display and Now Playing for what you are streaming from the EA-1. But it is a controller, not an AVR.

Use your Denon HEOS to distribute your audio. The EA-1 can "control" that, I'm pretty sure. I have no experience with HEOS, but I do know the Denon AVRs are well supported.

You really would benefit from an onsite visit with an integrator. Just make sure you know what you want before they show up on site.

11 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I think at this point you need an in-person conversation to get the level of clarity you're seeking

My local C4 rep built my system, wired my home, all with the idea of a EA-3 or EA-5 as a master, then using EA-1 for all the other 2 zone rooms, which I’m now learning won’t work

17 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Then talk to him. He should back what he sold ya

I just can’t believe I’m the only one with two zones in one room:

theatre/pool table

family room/kitchen

master bed/bath

And I don’t see people here running EA-3s all over their homes

i appreciate all your help, I’m just very confused and disappointed 

I have 11 zones of audio in my house. I don't treat what you are talking about as one room. Technically my basement has 1 large room and it's 3 rooms in c4. Tv room, billiard and bar. Each has their own experience

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I have 11 zones of audio in my house. I don't treat what you are talking about as one room. Technically my basement has 1 large room and it's 3 rooms in c4. Tv room, billiard and bar. Each has their own experience

How many C4 controllers do you have?

55 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Which one has the best experience?   Assume the bar?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.