C4 Forums | Control4

Alarm system integration

53 minutes ago, Steve Hammond said:

Hi,

I’m searching for information on how Control4 could benefits from being connected with the alarm system. 

Where I can find information about that?

Thank you

I am not sure there is specific marketing material

Its nice because I can use my C4 app to arm/disarm my alarm vs needing another app from the alarm company.  If my alarm goes off, C4 can send me push notifications with still photos of certain cameras.  When my alarm also goes off TVs in my house go on and show my security cameras in a 3x3 type grid - like a command center, so I can see what is going on.  You can also do things around backlighting on c4 keypads, when my alarm is set to armed, my backlighting is all red so its a good reminder not to open doors/windows.  The classic one is if the alarm goes off you can have your lights in the house go on or start to blink, etc.  I mean really depending on what else you have in C4 you can tie any of them together.

Other advantages would include linking the panic button to a keypad button for setting the alarm off easily (or to a whole host of buttons). For instance, if you hold the top button down on any keypad in the bedrooms in my house, this will send a silent panic signal. The keypad backlights also turn green to let me know that the panic went through.

3 hours ago, Steve Hammond said:

You were right, it is a Vista thing. Not very clean in the picture, but I read Vista 20P/15P94DF2D02-2D3D-47EA-8B13-37981FCBE531.thumb.jpeg.bad8cb72e1a0a7f507dec9148155b7e4.jpeg

You are missing a battery for battery back up.   Not very secure.   Burgular cuts your power to house and alarm immediately goes down.

I have my Vista panel integrated with my C4 system.  It does all the things folks mentioned above.  I caution you that the integration process can be tricky.  For starters you will need to run some Cat6 from the panel to your controller, that is a must.  Note that you cannot use both Control4 and Honeywell Total Connect with this panel at the same time as this panel only allows for one remote controller at a time.  So if you are currently using TC, it will have to be disabled in order to use C4 and flipping back and forth is not a practical option as the panel needs to be configured to make the switch.  I'd also strongly recommend having the install done on site by a dealer vs. remote, especially if you are not comfortable installing the 4232 CBM yourself (it needs to be wired to the terminals on the board) it's not a plug-in module.   Once it's up and working there is a bit of programming required to get the desired effects, such as push notifications, switch LED programming, etc.  Those things can be done with Composer Home Edition, if you have it.  The level of Composer HE sophistication required here is definitely "Level 2" or higher, meaning someone unfamiliar with using HE could have a steep learning curve setting up all of the features cited in this thread.  If not, programming can likely be done remotely, by one of the great folks on this board.

Not trying to scare you off by any means, just want you to understand how involved this upgrade is and set expectations.  I love having mine integrated and went through a few frustrating days to get it done properly.  Worth it.  

@joecheech Do you mean here that I cannot wire the panel to send alarms to a central such as ADT and also have the alarms triggered to C4 for extended feature?

If so, that kills my dream and I may have to replace everything!!

Thank you

51 minutes ago, joecheech said:

Note that you cannot use both Control4 and Honeywell Total Connect with this panel at the same time as this panel only allows for one remote controller at a time.  So if you are currently using TC, it will have to be disabled in order to use C4 and flipping back and forth is not a practical option as the panel needs to be configured to make the switch. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.