C4 Forums | Control4

Night mode/Dynamic Volume Denon AVR control

Sorry for all of the questions but I’m doing system planning for my install and want to try to rectify some things from our previous system so we can have this working the way we want. You guys are great and I really appreciate the feedback.

I believe we are spec’d for a Denon AVRx4500.

I would like to be able to change the sound on our family room TV with the audio being run from the AVR so I can minimize the bass boom when watching TV at night. I’d like to be able to hear the dialogue clearly and not have to have the volume turned up so loud to wake the wife.

I think I would like to have this as a selection on the SR260, either a programmed toggle button or selection on the screen and also have availability via the app on my iPhone. 

I’m not sure which setting makes the most sense (low,med,high) or if there is a way to toggle dynamic volume on/off at the ‘programmed’ level or if I would have to make a selection on the screen.  I believe the driver would have a slide over window that gives access to select surround modes on the iPhone app but not the selection for dynamic volume. Is there an option to add this?

Also, is there a discreet command for doing this with the shortcut on the remote or only a menu/select option?

I’m guessing I will have to test a few options/levels but once I find one that works, it would likely be the toggle I would want.

So when I turn on the room, I want the full multichannel audio with volume at x. Press the shortcut/toggle and have the dynamic volume option kick in, hit the toggle again and it goes back to normal volume. Turn off room, go back to normal volume. Turn on the room next time - start with normal volume.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Most avrs have sound mode toggles available in custom programming

You can make custom room buttons and have your options in there.

Initial volume on will also help in your case to ensure the room doesn’t turn on again if the volume was all the way up before.

The short answer to your question, yes it can be done

Thanks
M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you want more than just volume and sound mode shortcuts - you want the ability to reduce the bass relative to the volume.

Your subwoofer will be the biggest offender here  The sound this device puts out - more than anything else - will travel through the home  

As such, you may consider having your dealer setup a kill switch to remove the subwoofer feed for “night mode.”  

That can be accomplished a few different ways 

Thank you both! Good to know.  I like the idea of turning off/down the sub but also want to make sure I’m able to hear dialogue clearly.  That’s been the biggest challenge with our current system. I’ve turned up the center channel volume at the AVR but the ‘mix’ is off. Considering the unit is about 15 years old, hoping some of that will be solved/able to be better adjusted on the newer Denon.

Does anyone know if there is a discreet command for say - dynamic volume setting High. I think I could use that and have the installer program a shortcut to toggle that setting on/off as the easiest and most accessible option.  Just not sure if Denon has that as a discreet command specifically.

Again, appreciate the help!

Awesome! Thanks so much. This helps a LOT!

It’s tough being a bit hamstring without knowing C4 and it’s capabilities/drivers as much as I would like. Last install with Crestron, we put a lot of faith in the programmers and while they created a bullet proof system that’s lasted 13+ years, we never really got things set up the way we wanted and now we have a much better idea about how we will use things in the  system. I just don’t know the best, or available ways, that we could set these things up. 

I’m narrowing down on an installer and trust their programming but I feel I can better help them and therefore help us by having a better idea about these things.

I appreciate you posting this so I can figure out the best way we would use this (I.e. SR260 - one of the dot shortcut buttons or on the screen as a selection, etc). Now I know we have an option!

Thanks again!

Dynamic Volume does help, but there is also another setting with Denon to specifically reduce base volume transmitted to other neighboring rooms, just can't remember what the name of that function was...

Found it, it's named:

LFC - use that and dynamic Volume, but both only work after audyssey calibration and map those to a custom button.

You can create a variable and make +1 increment on press and the set level low for count 1, medium for 2 and high for 3 and then start over at 1 to cycle through

Like this:

grafik.png.92d74977ace1e863966af41c87c2a295.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.