C4 Forums | Control4

MyQ needs to die

I gave up on integrating my MyQ garage door.  Hardwired a spare remote to a Card Access relay and for under $80, I'm done.  Works 100% of the time.  Going on 2 years without any issues.  

Just now, SY3 said:

I gave up on integrating my MyQ garage door.  Hardwired a spare remote to a Card Access relay and for under $80, I'm done.  Works 100% of the time.  Going on 2 years without any issues.  

Do you have accurate door position reporting?  Do you know when the door(s) are open and closed?  That's what I miss without proper MyQ integration as you then have to integrate a bunch of other stuff like one sensor and one relay per door.

7 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Do you have accurate door position reporting?  Do you know when the door(s) are open and closed?  That's what I miss without proper MyQ integration as you then have to integrate a bunch of other stuff like one sensor and one relay per door.

I can't report on door position but for my use case, it's just 1 large door that is either fully open or fully closed.  And yes I can see if it's open or closed and it's fully integrated with C4.  This was my solution and meets my needs.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

That sounds like all you need.  I only care about open or closed, I don't care about partial position.  How do you sense the open or closed?  Magnetic contacts?

Yep - forgot the mention that.  Using some garage contact sensors.  Can't remember where I got them from but they were less than $20.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

That sounds like all you need.  I only care about open or closed, I don't care about partial position.  How do you sense the open or closed?  Magnetic contacts?

This is my legacy setup, all costed me with driver around $100 3 years ago:

- CardAccess Wireless relay (Zigbee) -> HC800

- GE Wireless Door Sensor (RF) -> CardAccess Security Sensor Bridge

- HouseLogix Garage Dual Relay Sensor Driver (Toggle ON/Off using one UI Button)

You can use modern components and achieve same results.

18 hours ago, cdepaola said:

We pay for all kinds of stuff as it is, whats one more thing. Honestly the garage door is one of the best integrations, I still use the MyQ driver with the IFFT driver to open the door as I approach the house, has worked like a champ.  I'm sure its gonna break soon. 

Lots of others are jumping on board with LiftMaster to get integrated but not C4... I'll gladly pay to keep MyQ integrated and working on  a geo fence. 

So you want to pay C4 a monthly subscription so they pay Chamberlain to allow C4 to talk to your MyQ? If C4 set it up that way, there'd be an avalanche of complaints.

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

Didn’t realize someone cornered the frozen concentrated garage door market. Have not seen a new one but you can’t just hook a relay in?

? Did you not read - MyQ motors do not HAVE a contact connection - the connector is actually a data and power over two wire connections - 'shorting' that does not operate the motor.

So, as such, you need to wire a relay to a button (and a pre-made option is available for pretty cheap that works with many motors as well, but not one in particular (that seems to be a popular push around here but oh well, i can solder).

Now how prevalent Chamberlain/Liftmaster is likely depends on the market - but a quick search shoes that between the two plus Craftsmen (which is made by them and uses MyQ AFAIK, they have 70% of the market in the US in 2018 - I doubt that shifted much, and from what I see around our area, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's closer to 90%.

Now I suspect you can sometimes find some really cheap options form these three that may NOT have MyQ, but looking at our clients, I want to say every last one of them that built new houses in the last 5 years have MyQ motors.

5 hours ago, knowitall said:

Yes I read the post and was clarifying. I haven’t touched a garage door in a while (likely cus of the app)

good for them I guess. 

I was also trying to make a bad trading places joke simultaneously 

LOL and I was posting too late to catch that 😄

11 hours ago, Cyknight said:

? Did you not read - MyQ motors do not HAVE a contact connection - the connector is actually a data and power over two wire connections - 'shorting' that does not operate the motor

Do we have any clue what type of data is being sent over that wire connection?  Seems like we should be able to figure that out and via an RS232 send the same type of data to the motor...

Honestly surprised this already hasn't been figured out

10 hours ago, cdepaola said:

and via an RS232 send the same type of data to the motor...

The connection isn't rs232 - it's a power and data connection to the keypads. 'Taking that over' may just be a matter of creating a device for it, but question 1 would be if they didn't trademark it...

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I still say that pools are worse for automation than garage doors.  Should be simple but costs about $1000 to give you crappy integration.

the difference is that garage doors way outnumber pools...

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

No pools in Kentucky?  And I am in cold Canada!

our neighborhood has 3 pools (one with multiple slides).  There are a few houses that have pools...but in a neighborhood of over 1,000 homes there are like 10 with pools...Lot's aren't big enough

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.